PDA

View Full Version : First Moose Success

luckofthedraw
10-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Drew a shared moose tag with a couple of Uncle's of mine.

Sept 29th, loaded up and extremely anxious too get underway. I pulled my daughter from school for a couple days, and took her along for 2 days of scouting. Many miles on the quad looking for sign and doing some calling. I knew the area well from years past, so I had a good place to start. After 2 days of not seeing much, I set up a couple of trail cameras and I took Kaitlyn home and back to school; leaving camp and my gear with my uncles. I had to crank out a few shifts of work before retuning to my hunt.

When I got back into camp late in the evening a few days later; I discovered they hadn't seen any moose and very little sign. They had seen a buck that my one uncle took a crack at. He was a 2 point, up hill and looking over his shoulder. Uncle had aimed at the head as he had very little to shoot at, and put it over him.

The next day I took a morning hunt with them. Saw a few moose tracks, a doe and a fawn. Trail cam pics returned no reward, didn't even have an animal on them. I pulled the cams, because I wasn't particularly fond of the area anymore.

In the evening, I decided we should split up. We had 2 quads and 3 guys, and could cover a lot more ground if we split. They didn't seem to keen on the idea, as hunting for them is a good bonding experience with their nephew who no longer lives in Abbotsford. However, I could tell in this particular area if we were going to be successful we needed to split up. I set out for a hunt about an hour from camp, in the high country.

Doing the slow quad ride into the new spot for me, I immediately jumped a real nice fresh set of bull tracks on the muddy road. I quickly threw the quad in park, and hopped off. Loaded up the riffle and back pack and started to cut his tracks. I followed him about 100 yards down the muddy road and saw he carried on off the road, down the hill, and into the timber. I decided to stand on the edge of the cut and do some calling. I'm fairly new to doing a cow call, and not certain I have what it takes, but it was worth a shot in this instance. Immediately after I called, a bull emerged from the timber, and stood directly behind a thick pine tree. From where I stood, 50 yards away all I could see was a large, half a paddle. I dropped to my knee and through the gun up. My scope was set to full, and at this range I had to bring it right back to minimal power. Through my hat on backwards and waited. I couldn't see any portion of the moose, just this large piece of one paddle behind the tree that would move every so often. No snout, no fur, no legs or body. I stayed put, trying to wait him out. 3 minutes went by without either of us moving or making a sound. My heart was just pounding. This was my first encounter with a moose up close, and I wasn't exactly certain how to play this one out. I remember thinking to myself. "come on bud, calm down. Think logical, you got this". Trying to settle my heart rate while having this moose in my scope waiting for him to present a shot.

After the 3 minutes I decided to make a move. I gave a soft subtle cow call, hoping to coax him out. He didn't budge. I waited another minute. Nothing. I gave 1 single grunt (which I also don't know if I do proper or not). He responded by raking the pine in front of him. My heart rate doubled in what was already a rapid rate. I was thinking, "oh man, it's on". This guy is going to step right out from this pine 50 yards away...but nothing happened. He stayed right where he was. So I waited another minute. Nothing. By this time, I was tiring from my couched position. Looked around at my options. No brush for cover, or thrashing. No rest. Some logs to my left that looked like a decent spot to sit, and create a rest for myself. Heart still pounding I decided to relocate. As I stood and started walking slowly to the logs, I gave four consecutive grunts. Wha, wha, wha, wha. Got to the logs; looked at the pine and he was gone. Vanished. Moose ninja, nowhere to be found.

I continued to hunt the rest of daylight hunkering down quietly giving the occasional cow call trying to bring him back out. But nothing happened.

luckofthedraw
10-08-2015, 04:55 PM
I rode back to camp, arriving well past dark. My uncles again hadn't seen much worth reporting. I shared my news and formulated a plan with them to go back after him in the morning. We took both quads, loaded them on the pickup and trailer and set out in the dark. Once in the area, 2 of us climbed slowly and silently through the timber to the high side of the cut. We split up and hunkered down with two good views of the cut. My other uncle, experienced at calling in moose walked the road very slowly calling every 10- 15 minutes. We hunted that whole bowl that morning and didn't see or hear a thing. We went back to camp and re-strategized. We decided the bowl was not big enough for 3 guys to hunt, so they continued to hunt elsewhere while I focused on that bull for another evening.

That night I cut the same bulls tracks, on the same road where we were set up 7 hours earlier. Over the next 3 days I hit that area twice a day, seeing his tracks fresh and on that same stretch of road 5 out of 7 hunts. I discovered I was actually hunting directly between his bed, and his water seeing evidence of him drinking in the nearby ditch. Both uncles had yet to find a good moose area, though they continued to search. I told them that either they go try my spot or I am going again. One of us had to be in that spot every day, and every night until we decided to give up and go home empty handed. This was the only place we knew where a bull was.

The evening of the 6th, I went in again. In my opinion an hour late that day because we had to refuel in town. Because I was late I decided to quad all the way into the area instead of hike. Most of the other times, I would park a half hour walk out and hike in silently. Sit hunkered down and wait until last light and call once or twice then try again in the morning. I didn't want to make too much noise in this spot and push him out.

I quaded to the high side of the bowl, shut down the machine. Took my pack and walked right into the middle of the slash and sat on a stump. My plan was to hopefully be there one of the times he got up to go for water. I sat and sat. An hour went by. I looked at my watch, cross referenced with the sun. I realized I still had about an hour of daylight left, so I continued to sit quietly. Another half hour went by, nothing showed up. Their was only a half hour of shooting light left so I started calling. This time, adjusting my call. I usually pinch my nose, but this time I did not. I let out a long cow call, the best one of my life. From where I was sitting the call bellowed right up the valley and made an extraordinary echo back to me, which I did not have before. Almost immediately in the far far distance I thought I heard a grunt. It was so far away, I didn't know if I had imagined it, or if it was real. After all, I wanted this to happen so badly I thought that their was a chance my brain was making this sound up.

The grunt continued. So faint I took my took off my toque to listen if this was real or not. It wasn't until the rhythm of the grunt changed that I realized this is really a bull and not my imagination. The grunt carried on, ever so faint for 3 or 4 minutes then stopped. I waited about 30 seconds of silent, then called again with the same bellowing effect. The grunting started again. The bull was so far away I still couldn't tell where exactly he was coming from. I was in a bowl, and worried his grunt was echoing around the bowl so I continued to sit still and enjoy his sound.

Every time the bull became silent, I would wait the 30 or so seconds and call him again. Eventually the grunt became more frequent and coming closer. I finally became certain which hillside the bull the would emerge from. I grabbed my gear and relocated from my stump to a nearby vantage point. Sitting on the ground and using a fallen log as a rest. The bull was close by now. I had got to listen to over 50 grunts from miles away while he came in. I was glassing the timber line. Nothing..nothing...nothing..BULL. There he was again. The bull I had hunted hard for 5 days prior. He did exactly what he did the first time. Emerging from the timber and standing directly behind a pine tree. This time the tree was thinner and I could see his paddles and body right through the tree. I fumbled for my range finder. I was so excited again, that I couldn't find the bull in the finder. I decided to give up on that and just shoot the bull. He left the pine, walking to his left and stopped directly broadside to me, looking for his cow. I let a round off. The bull hunched up and took off running in a straight line right out of my view. By this time, I had very little shooting light left, and began my tracking. Heart just racing, radioing my uncles "bull down". Eventually resorting back to where I hit him, flagging it and tracking outward I found my bull 50 yards away, lying stone dead in the thick willows. My shot was ranged later at 192 yards, perfectly behind the shoulder and in the lung. My uncles showed up an hour or so later with some gear. We did the gutless method by headlamp. My first time for gutless. I have to say, I'm not a fan but maybe I just need more practice. 3 quad rides to the pickup, and 7 hours later we were back in camp at almost 3 am. We have another moose tag, and may go back for another at the end of the month. But this one for me, was a very hard earned bull.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h345/therealejay/IMG_20151006_185226.jpg (http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/therealejay/media/IMG_20151006_185226.jpg.html)

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h345/therealejay/IMG_20151007_1300382.jpg (http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/therealejay/media/IMG_20151007_1300382.jpg.html)

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h345/therealejay/IMG_20151008_134536.jpg (http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/therealejay/media/IMG_20151008_134536.jpg.html)

BCHoyt
10-08-2015, 04:58 PM
Congrats man!!! Thats a beauty too!

ajeatoo
10-08-2015, 05:38 PM
NICE!!! ���� what area were you in? I mean region, not asking for honey holes or anything. My husband has a shared bull hunt he's going on next week in 7-7, they are planning to head to Giscome area. I'm stuck at home so going to make some room in our freezers for moose meat. Hopefully!

HUCK
10-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Nice pics. Good story

mad_mallard
10-08-2015, 06:06 PM
Nicely done !!!!!
VERY happy for you !!!!!!
That lake looks familiar �� , Good on you !!!!! Your uncles quad pulls through again ,LOL !!!
Sometimes it takes awhile but persistence pays off !
-Mad

ElliotMoose
10-08-2015, 06:07 PM
Nice bull and great writeup!

Salty
10-08-2015, 06:20 PM
Way to go lotd persistence paid off. Great write up appreciate all the detail ..

M.Dean
10-08-2015, 06:28 PM
Way to hang in there! You put your time in and it paid off in spades! When the bull disappeared the first time, I had to laugh, how in hell can a 6 to 800 pound moose simply vanish you ask your self? I've seen it a number of times, and if you don't have your cross hairs on the exact spot where his neck is going to show, that beast can turn and run in a quarter of a second, never to be seen again! Unless you keep at it like you did! Congrats on a well deserved Bull!

ydouask
10-08-2015, 07:37 PM
:D Great story and encouraging tactics for those experiencing the disappearing act of the elusive moose

Lillypuff
10-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Very cool! Congrats and thanks for posting

Whonnock Boy
10-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Nice work.

bang flop
10-08-2015, 08:04 PM
Dandy bull! Calling is the way to go. Nice work.

A story like this gives me inspiration to write up my moose hunt in 2013.

Than for sharing

tomahawk
10-08-2015, 09:31 PM
Good stuff, good eating moose meat

luckofthedraw
10-09-2015, 08:56 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm pretty happy with him that's for sure . Him and I had quite a history over those few days. He dressed out to 443lb, 39.5 inch. Pretty good bull for region 3 me thinks.

Jelvis
10-09-2015, 09:20 PM
Whoa that's a nice bull. Nicely done.
Jel

jaeger
10-10-2015, 08:14 AM
Good for you for persevering! nice looking bull!

kennyj
10-10-2015, 08:24 AM
Nice bull!! Way to keep at it. Very exciting story.
kenny

Jrax
10-10-2015, 08:50 PM
awesome bull

nano
10-10-2015, 09:24 PM
Well done, Congrats !

MikeH
10-10-2015, 09:46 PM
Good job! love the hard hunts so worth it.

deer nut
10-10-2015, 10:50 PM
Wild looking bull!

TheProvider
10-11-2015, 06:31 AM
Nice bull, persistance pays off.

Kalum
10-11-2015, 08:45 AM
Great story.

Hammerhead
10-11-2015, 09:33 AM
Congrats on the first moose and a hard earned one at that. Way to persevere
HH

Sitkaspruce
10-11-2015, 10:07 AM
Awesome hunt!!! Congrats on the bull!!

Thanks for bring us along and posting!!

Cheers

SS

luckofthedraw
10-12-2015, 10:05 AM
Dandy bull! Calling is the way to go. Nice work.

A story like this gives me inspiration to write up my moose hunt in 2013.

Than for sharing

You should. This is what HBC used to be all about.....only a few keep it up.

Getbent
10-13-2015, 07:34 AM
Nice work...thanks for the writeup and photos...much appreciated

tripleseven
10-13-2015, 09:59 AM
Beautiful Bull! I was trying for my first bull this year, and had almost an identical story...without the same results. We only had 2 good areas, and I think they both had multiple bulls in them. I had bulls within 100 yards in both areas, multiple times, but never even got a glimpse of them. I wasn't able to pull them out of thick cover. From what I've heard, hunting the same moose morning and night might be a bit risky? Curious as to thoughts on this as general practice? I had to do the same thing, and the last couple days of our season, they had quit responding to calls. You've got a full freezer, so it worked for you!