PDA

View Full Version : elk hunting around chetwynd need help

bruce44
10-08-2015, 08:10 AM
So im hunting around the stewart lake road area, walking down pipelines and I cant seem to have any luck with responses to my cow calls and bugling. This is my first year elk hunting and im really green but most of my coworkers say that my cow chirping is good (using primo lip service). All my friends keep saying they hear tons of bugling at night but I waited until 12am sitting in the dark and heard nothing but squirrels. Does the bugling stop around this time of year?
What time of year offers the most success around peace region. Thanks in advance.

BRvalley
10-08-2015, 08:28 AM
you're also hunting an extremely busy area with hunter traffic and industrial traffic...I used to hunt there 5 years ago and still visit now and then, animals are still there but the ball game got tougher, doesn't mean you can't be successful, but I think everybody and their uncle calling for the past month has made the elk leery

IMO early season is best, and late season if we get early snow is also productive...right now is the toughest time to hunt that particular area in my experiences....I'd focus on finding fresh sign and still hunting those areas....possibly setup some trail cams and dump some barley, hope the bears don't find it

Swamp mule
10-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Work on the river banks. The tougher the terrain the more likely they will be there. You are close to the pine river and there should be some good trails along the breaks. Shoot me a Pm if you want some more info.

bruce44
10-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Unfortunately I didnt get a start on hunting until sept 27th. Ill try earlier next year. Im trying to learn a little more every year until I get something bigger than a grouse. Its tough finding a quiet trail away from quadders. Seems like those damn things can get anywhere I can.