PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in rain, what are your tactics and tips for moose and deer

Jrax
10-08-2015, 12:17 AM
I will be out hunting for 2 days in cloudy and rainy weather (sept. 8 and 9). Moose will be rutting and deer is open for any buck whitetail and mule deer. Should I drive and hunt in truck? Wetlands for moose? Focus on deer or moose - which are more active in rain given that moose will be rutting and deer are not? Generally I have not seen a lot of game in the rain so any tips would be great!

Jagermeister
10-08-2015, 12:23 AM
Pick a spot and hunker down. Animals are very wary of movement when it is raining. That is because scent does not waft on the wind when it is smothered by water. If you have a blind, set it up and stay comfortable. Keep movement and noise to non-existent if you can and carry a piss container for that moment. 2 liter plastic milk carton works, just don't stick you dick in if you're overbore.

SuperYeti
10-08-2015, 12:41 AM
2 liter plastic milk carton works, just don't stick you dick in if you're overbore.

That there is sig worthy!

RadHimself
10-08-2015, 12:53 AM
I prefer to hunt in the rain, or any crappy weather to be honest. Ive seen more animals on foot in the crap weather then i ever have in a vehicle or on clear days. I go to a spot i already know well, stealth mode in there then setup an ambush. Wet ground means easier tracking, so that and still hunting with one hand on the rifle the other on the bino's. Thats why we have rain gear

M.Dean
10-08-2015, 05:04 AM
One of my biggest kept secrets for hunting in the rain is this, wear a rain jacket, with a hood! And never put your smokes in your rain jacket pockets, they fill with rain, rendering your smokes pretty much useless! And, in a inner jacket pocket, keep a real nice soft cloth to wipe your scope lens dry and your bino lens, if you can't see it, you can't kill it! Other than that, knock'em dead out there!

Steelpulse
10-08-2015, 05:45 AM
Rain is my favourite time to still hunt the ground is silent can walk right upnon animals and cover far more ground

ghost
10-08-2015, 06:44 AM
Rain is better than snow in my opinion.Ground is nice and quiet.

Jagermeister
10-08-2015, 10:08 AM
That there is sig worthy!permission granted.