PDA

View Full Version : close call for HBC hunters

srupp
10-07-2015, 06:22 PM
just received phone call father son team..goat hunting high in Willmore area woke up this morning wall tent ablaze...escaped with burns to hands..lost everything..new HD Cambell camera rifles..all clothes gear..my Swarovski HD spotting scope tripod..

they were rescued by helicopter..in hospital burns addressed..will be home tonite..

glad father and son survived ! that is everything...wow!

lets be careful out there guys...and remember Phil and his son ironically named Blaze..in your prayers these will leave emotional scars and trauma..

steven Rupp

scoutlt1
10-07-2015, 06:27 PM
Good to hear they are ok!

Anything we can do to help?

swampthing
10-07-2015, 06:40 PM
That's scary. Last November we set up a big wall tent in -20 weather and got the stove blazin. We were outside doin other chores when we noticed the wall tent on fire by the stove pipe. It was a frantic few minutes but 4 of us got it out shortly. Made for a cold weeks hunt with a 6ft hole in the roof.

rifleman
10-07-2015, 06:48 PM
whoa that was a close call.. glad they are ok..

scoutlt1
10-07-2015, 06:48 PM
I've heard (and believe it's true), that more people die in really cold weather by burning to death than by freezing.

Again....let's all be careful out there!

srupp
10-07-2015, 07:21 PM
Hmmm actually most die from smoke inhalation before their bodies burn..very close call..
Steven

scoutlt1
10-07-2015, 07:30 PM
Hmmm actually most die from smoke inhalation before their bodies burn..very close call..
Steven

You are right.
I stand corrected!

Rackmastr
10-07-2015, 08:24 PM
I assume thats Phil that was involved??

Glad to hear everyone got out without major injuries or worse! Scary stuff indeed.

LBM
10-07-2015, 08:32 PM
Glad there both ok im guessing this is the guy with one of the alberta goat tags.

keoke
10-07-2015, 08:44 PM
I can only imagine how worse it would be for those in home made tarp wall tents. Glad they are alive.

srupp
10-07-2015, 08:45 PM
Hmmm yes Phil..he had one of only 3..once in a lifetime Alberta goat tags..loaned him my Swarovski spotting scope for this epic adventure..it truly was epic..
Cheers
Steven

REMINGTON JIM
10-07-2015, 09:14 PM
Holy Crap ! that was close - Glad there mostly OK gear can replaced there lives Cannot be ! best of LUCK to them recovering ! :biggrin: Cheers RJ

REMINGTON JIM
10-07-2015, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=mpotzold;1695311]
Was it SPOT that brought in the rescuers?
Lived for a year in a wall tent deep in the remote Yukon wilderness & am fully aware of the stove pipe overheating dangers( the more than likely scenario). In the winter the temperature sometimes plunged to -70°F ( -57°C) –so to keep warm the stove pipe would become red hot. We had some type of an asbestos ring to prevent tent fire around the pipe.

Hey where abouts in the YUKON did you live ? :biggrin: just wondering ! RJ

vortex hunter
10-07-2015, 10:46 PM
wow steve thats a scary one

srupp
10-07-2015, 11:06 PM
Hmm no the SPOT unit burned with all of their gear.they got lucky that the omly thing that survived was the satalite phone ! Partially melted but functional they huddled in the snow till daybreak when the rescue chopper arrived. .
I know crass and materialistic..but I cringed at the photo of my Swarovski ats HD 65mm spotting scope with stay on Swarovski case and Manfrotto..Bogen tripod burned and mishapen laying in the snow..
Its only glass aluminum and plastic. ..but damn it was fine viewing .
Equally bummed out thats it for life for Alberta goat tag..once in lifetime..no more ever..
The burns to hands can be quite devestating for dexterity if scar tissue is expected..however I think all will heal well in this case ?
And that at the end of a day viewing tremendous once in a lifetime booner goats..
Absolutley sick for them...
Steven

Weatherby Fan
10-07-2015, 11:12 PM
Glad to hear they are not seriously hurt and got out ok, look at the bright side they get to buy all new gear !

The Hermit
10-08-2015, 12:03 AM
Glad they are okay and hoping they have house insurance that just might cover the cost of replacing all the gear! My first wall tent caught fire the first time I set it up and used the stove... the stove pipe went out the roof and the little strings that Montana tents use to tie up the flap are not fireproof... of course one was dangling down and touched the stove pipe and ignited! Burnt a two foot hole in the roof before we could get it doused... used the beer in my hand at the time! LOL

Walking Buffalo
10-08-2015, 12:15 AM
Oh man, thanks for letting us know, Srupp.

Wishing Phil and his son all the best in recovering.

M.Dean
10-08-2015, 05:10 AM
Hopefully there burns aren't to bad, that's got to be one of the most painful things to go through! If they don't mind me asking, what are there names on here?

RINO
10-08-2015, 07:27 AM
I've always feared my nightmares of coming home to our house on fire...
Can't figure out why that has been a recurring dream..
Needless to say I hope those two heal well..
Thanks for the heads up..

Seeker
10-08-2015, 07:57 AM
Thanks Srupp for the reminder about these shelters and the risks associated with them. I am happy to hear that the boys survived. Maybe Santa will be good to you this year:wink:

Sitkaspruce
10-11-2015, 08:36 AM
Steven, hope Phil and son are doing well and that they will be back on their feet hunting again this season!!!

Sorry to hear about this!!

Cheers

SS

huntcoop
10-11-2015, 09:15 AM
srupp, do you an update?

HarryToolips
10-11-2015, 09:30 AM
Hope them the best on their recovery...too bad about all the equipment lost, but hey, they're alive..

srupp
10-17-2015, 09:25 PM
Update...generous individuals, businesses. .have allowed Phil to be starting a second attempt at his once in a lifetime goat draw..I have really good feelings about this go.
A extremelly knowledgable individual is backing Phil up..so he didnt go alone..stand up guy.
Will know more in a week.
Steven

Jagermeister
10-17-2015, 09:38 PM
Update...generous individuals, businesses. .have allowed Phil to be starting a second attempt at his once in a lifetime goat draw..I have really good feelings about this go.
A extremelly knowledgable individual is backing Phil up..so he didnt go alone..stand up guy.
Will know more in a week.
Steven
Steven, you may have an insurance claim for your ATS. It might be covered in your home policy.
I carry an extra rider on my house insurance just for the goodies. That way there is no argument.

srupp
10-25-2015, 08:25 PM
Hmm Philly went back out for a second attempt at his once in a lifetime goat draw...he posted up at Miner League outdoors on facebook.he made it home safe.
Srupp