PDA

View Full Version : Moose area 6-4

Timber Wolf
10-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Traveling to 6-4 by ootsa lake for moose on the 17th does any one have any info on the area and where moose could be.

Thanks

coach
10-07-2015, 10:11 AM
Do you have a draw or are you going for the week long GOS?

Timber Wolf
10-07-2015, 10:23 AM
Going when it's open

BCHoyt
10-07-2015, 12:23 PM
Ill be in the area as well... might see ya in our travels..

Xbow
10-07-2015, 09:50 PM
I will be there also. And in 7-12.

Is is this going to be a gong show?

BCHoyt
10-08-2015, 06:18 AM
It usually is up there... Weather is looking good though... Rain, possible snow and stormy... perfect!!!

Island Idiots
10-08-2015, 08:10 AM
The lights from Cheslatta campsite can be seen for miles. It is usually a very busy area especially on the holy cross road.

BCHoyt
10-08-2015, 09:07 AM
Yup... some roads are definately busier than others up there... though we only came across a handful of trucks on the area's we traveled.. funny part was most of the guys we talked to turned out to be from the island as well.. Only ran into one douchebag who figured he owned the whole road..

Mikeyman
10-08-2015, 02:43 PM
Heading up to either 6-5 or 6-1 for the GOS. Two more guys from the Island :-o

BCHoyt
10-08-2015, 03:03 PM
Island hunting reunion... See ya up there boys...

HUCK
10-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Sounds like its going to be crowded on the ferry on the 17th. See you guys up there.

BCHoyt
10-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Hahaha... Taking the first ferry outta vic on the 17th

Mikeyman
10-09-2015, 07:56 AM
Same as us lol. Drive to Vanderhoof get a hotel then get camp set up on the 18th. Can't wait!!

BCHoyt
10-09-2015, 12:34 PM
Mikey.. cool.. we stay in williams for the night.. get up there on the 18th as well... Probably see ya on the ferry.. just look for the kryptek camo hat..

Xbow
10-15-2015, 07:32 PM
Well we're packed up and grabbing the 7:45 from Duke point in the am...

Decided we better get a jump on the rest of the islanders.. :wink:

I hope its Good hunting for everyone.

Hopefully there is some nice bull pics up here from the GOS.

BCHoyt
10-16-2015, 12:38 PM
Good luck to you Xbow.. like I said.. if you see a black ranger with white canopy stop and say hello.. thats us!

Piperdown
10-16-2015, 05:12 PM
Thank god we got our bull during archery season along with 2 whitetail bucks it is going to be an absolute shit show there verdun is the word :)

BCHoyt
10-16-2015, 07:37 PM
Haha... the secret is out!!!!

decker9
10-17-2015, 08:00 AM
Last season, the ferry had over 250 hunting rigs in the 2 days before gos, it WILL be a gong show on the SS, I know of 3 parties headed to cheslatta lake already, good luck!! Wear orange!! and get off the road, youl find a bull. Cheers.

decker9
10-17-2015, 08:06 AM
Best advise I can give for the BL area, get away from town, it's been a absolute slaughter house, with the "locals", if you know what I mean. This year especially seems very dry. Myself, I'm heading morice lake direction, after guiding a few seasons up that way, def a better population on moose, and wayyyy less, locals. Just my 2 cents, good luck to all.

Downwind
10-17-2015, 08:16 AM
Goodluck everyone. Glad I headed up for the archery opening up there. Hardly saw a soul up there. Moose are up there but some areas are down but I'm sure other areas are up. It's always a gong show for the rifle opener up there but like Decker says get off the roads. Or you could get lucky and find him standing on one like I did this year :). Lots of bears this year too. Goodluck everyone and stay safe!

okas
10-17-2015, 10:39 AM
i used to go in 6-4 then go bow hunting in area 8 and 4 later ....no more 6-4 for me as too many bad hunters like trying to stealing your game off the meat pole blocking roads and fall down drunks roaring around leaving a mess behind.

Piperdown
10-25-2015, 12:28 PM
As of yesterday, 60+ hunters at takysie resort, 2 moose hanging, not looking good :(

BCHoyt
10-25-2015, 03:41 PM
Yeah... we only saw one cow... was not good at all..

Xbow
10-26-2015, 10:33 PM
No moose for us also.

But I did see 3 bulls 3 cows and one calf.

Two of the bulls we saw were the day before the opener. One stopped 30 yards in front of us for 15 or so seconds.

The other was in 7-12. :( they really started moving in the last 3 days.

I think the answer there is to pick a lake or pond and stay put!!!!

Piperdown
10-27-2015, 07:07 AM
Where did you camp xbow, at the falls??

decker9
10-27-2015, 07:16 AM
I seen one bull, obviously had a bullet in it already, dident look good, spent all day yesterday lookin for him, but no luck.

The two days I got to hunt, I herd 3 sets of gun fire, 4 shots, 4 shots, the last was 5 shots. Wonder how many of those got away to?

I hear rumour of shutting down reg 6 GOS, one can only hope.

Xbow
10-27-2015, 07:24 AM
We were at the falls

Piperdown
10-27-2015, 07:49 AM
We were at the falls
Many people camped there, we have 80 acres on the east ootsa rd that is about 60 km from you. Decker lets hope they do a count this winter after this season, last years snowfall and the wolves things may be changing. Decker i will send you an email pic of a cranker whitetail buck we got.

okas
10-27-2015, 11:15 AM
looks like i saved some time and fuel as backed out even after loaded to go . I am thinking the early moose hunt and the poachers shooting over my camp at night had a bit to do with it as well .

Piperdown
10-27-2015, 02:35 PM
looks like i saved some time and fuel as backed out even after loaded to go . I am thinking the early moose hunt and the poachers shooting over my camp at night had a bit to do with it as well .
Yep we had some shooting at midnight one night fully auto 30 shots in total

noth615
10-27-2015, 02:56 PM
On the ferry , the last day of the season, I saw guy come across with aluminum landing craft fitted with an outboard, and two 4 wheelers, Any ways the guy had 2 nice size moose, I figure he must have shuttled across the East ootsa reach, there is tons of area, roads and obviously nice moose to be had ! Keep that in mind for next year !

coach
10-27-2015, 06:27 PM
On the ferry , the last day of the season, I saw guy come across with aluminum landing craft fitted with an outboard, and two 4 wheelers, Any ways the guy had 2 nice size moose, I figure he must have shuttled across the East ootsa reach, there is tons of area, roads and obviously nice moose to be had ! Keep that in mind for next year !

Should be good and busy ...

StoneChaser
10-27-2015, 07:25 PM
I live right in the neighbourhood, know that country well (have worked out there since 1995) and wouldn't take a free ride out to region 6-01, 6-02 (across ootsa lake), 6-04, 6-05 or 6-06 during the open bull season. Dismal moose populations and more hunters then critters.... A real gong show! I won't even apply for LEH there anymore....

noth615
10-27-2015, 07:30 PM
I live right in the neighbourhood, know that country well (have worked out there since 1995) and wouldn't take a free ride out to region 6-01, 6-02 (across ootsa lake), 6-04, 6-05 or 6-06 during the open bull season. Dismal moose populations and more hunters then critters.... A real gong show! I won't even apply for LEH there anymore....

I would completely agree with you stone chaser, 6-4 has way to much pressure !!

chinooker
10-27-2015, 08:16 PM
It's ******ed!! I live there and didn't even hunt then. Can you say zoo!!
Region 5,6,7a,and b should have standardized regs for moose. You cannot concentrate all of the provinces hunters in a couple of management units for a week! It's downright dangerous and seems to get worse every year.
I say trip palm, spike fork, or 10 point province wide at the same time. No more any bull season.

two-feet
10-27-2015, 09:06 PM
It's ******ed!! I live there and didn't even hunt then. Can you say zoo!!
Region 5,6,7a,and b should have standardized regs for moose. You cannot concentrate all of the provinces hunters in a couple of management units for a week! It's downright dangerous and seems to get worse every year.
I say trip palm, spike fork, or 10 point province wide at the same time. No more any bull season.

Holy crap dont say these things! There is a ton of country to hunt in Region 6, get away from he gong show and things might look up.

allan
10-27-2015, 09:26 PM
For those of you who were hunting out in region 6 for any bull, what kind of hunting are most the hunters doing? ex road, hiking, quading, ect? I would like to go out to region 6 for archery in Nov but need to have some sort of plan on what not to do, I've never been there and never hunted that far north so late in the year and am trying to figure out what kind of conditions to expect, and if I should be doing more hiking then driving to compensate for all the hunting pressure in Oct.

chinooker
10-27-2015, 09:31 PM
Holy crap dont say these things! There is a ton of country to hunt in Region 6, get away from he gong show and things might look up.
Lol!! I do get away from it often, just frustrated that thousands of hunters must descend on my back yard for a week each year. It would be nice to do a little local hunting with the wife and kids without fear of bullets flying everywhere. I used to live in region 5 and know there is a good moose population there. Shouldn't be all leh, it just pushes the hunting pressure north.

fireguy
10-27-2015, 09:40 PM
I had the 6-02 draw this year. 4 tags in our group. Saw as many wolves as moose and only saw two wolves. No Bulls. That's with the landing craft and quads and lots of hiking into what should be good spots. Not our first year in the area either. Fishing was good though.

two-feet
10-27-2015, 09:57 PM
Lol!! I do get away from it often, just frustrated that thousands of hunters must descend on my back yard for a week each year. It would be nice to do a little local hunting with the wife and kids without fear of bullets flying everywhere. I used to live in region 5 and know there is a good moose population there. Shouldn't be all leh, it just pushes the hunting pressure north.
I get it, i try to avoid the GOS here as much as possible, pretty easy to get away from the crowds if you are willing to pack a moose out by hand. Not a good time or place to wear an antler hat though. I agree that the funnelling of every hunter in bc into region 6 for a week gets a bit rediculous

two-feet
10-27-2015, 10:01 PM
For those of you who were hunting out in region 6 for any bull, what kind of hunting are most the hunters doing? ex road, hiking, quading, ect? I would like to go out to region 6 for archery in Nov but need to have some sort of plan on what not to do, I've never been there and never hunted that far north so late in the year and am trying to figure out what kind of conditions to expect, and if I should be doing more hiking then driving to compensate for all the hunting pressure in Oct.
There will be snow, hike into the swamps and willowy valleys.

decker9
10-28-2015, 10:44 AM
Just got word, some friends were rounding up cattle around poplar lake ( little ways off the east end of Francois lake ) during gos on horses ( yes bad time to be on horses ), some asshat let a bullet fly at them ( 4 people 4 horses ) came closer to hitting her dog then the horse. The guy jumped on his quad and raced off. They only herd the quad, never seen it or the guy. It's been reported. Close call!

wideopenthrottle
10-28-2015, 10:53 AM
buddy at work was at ootsa last week..saw a cow elk but no moose...he remarked at how big the burn area was

spock
10-28-2015, 11:25 AM
I was up in 6-4 for the week long this year and last with a friend of mine we bagged a moose last year saw some cow calves and had two close calls with what I assumed were bulls because they were coming in to our cow calls saw lots of sign and picked up two mature antler sheds one of which had a quad palm on it which to me means some bulls are survivng multiple seasons in this area. Shot some grouse, caught some fish, met some friendly fellow hunters and had a great time, don't regret for one minute the time and money I invested in the trip. I have the same disdain as decker does for people acting like irresponsible idiots out there without any regard for the safety of others or the resource in general. Like the woman we met who was complaining that the CO had taken her rifle away because he caught her hunting and smoking pot at the same time, or the guys who left a pile of plastic and garbage laying around when they broke camp. I don't however think this is caused by a GOS, the same people I just mentioned would be doing the same thing if they got a draw. A sad fact about our hunting fraternity is that there are those within it that cause the negative incidents mentioned on this thread, if that is say five percent of licence holders maybe one in an area with twenty draws and fifty in an area with 1000 hunters, that should not take away from the fact that 950 got to spend a week in the outdoors and maybe have a crack at a post-rut moose without waiting ten or more years between draws.

coach
10-28-2015, 11:45 AM
I was up in 6-4 for the week long this year and last with a friend of mine we bagged a moose last year saw some cow calves and had two close calls with what I assumed were bulls because they were coming in to our cow calls saw lots of sign and picked up two mature antler sheds one of which had a quad palm on it which to me means some bulls are survivng multiple seasons in this area. Shot some grouse, caught some fish, met some friendly fellow hunters and had a great time, don't regret for one minute the time and money I invested in the trip. I have the same disdain as decker does for people acting like irresponsible idiots out there without any regard for the safety of others or the resource in general. Like the woman we met who was complaining that the CO had taken her rifle away because he caught her hunting and smoking pot at the same time, or the guys who left a pile of plastic and garbage laying around when they broke camp. I don't however think this is caused by a GOS, the same people I just mentioned would be doing the same thing if they got a draw. A sad fact about our hunting fraternity is that there are those within it that cause the negative incidents mentioned on this thread, if that is say five percent of licence holders maybe one in an area with twenty draws and fifty in an area with 1000 hunters, that should not take away from the fact that 950 got to spend a week in the outdoors and maybe have a crack at a post-rut moose without waiting ten or more years between draws.

Where's the "like" button?

wideopenthrottle
10-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Like the woman we met who was complaining that the CO had taken her rifle away because he caught her hunting and smoking pot at the same time, .

how long can they take it for? and how do you get it back?
-found this blurb
88 (2) A conservation officer or constable may, if he or she has reasonable and probable grounds to believe that a person who is hunting or carrying a firearm is affected by a drug in his or her ability to hunt or handle a firearm safely and responsibly, request that person to surrender any firearms in his or her possession and his or her hunting licence.
http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/freeside/00_96488_01#section88n ahh I found all the info in the wildlife act link here

decker9
10-28-2015, 01:37 PM

Couldn't agree more. After all, we'r all out to just have a good time right, a moose is icing on the cake.

Garbage, that's another story. My gawd, I only hunt moose in my trapline area, only because I know it so well. All summer iv been picking up any pieces of trash I seen in the ditches or on the road (just like any summer). Up until the two days I hunted, I could say most the roads were pretty damn clean. The two days I did hunt, I felt like a garbage man. Was really hoping to find some personal info to hand in, but no such luck.