PDA

View Full Version : Grouse and rabbit in Chilliwack

pheasantslayer
10-07-2015, 07:47 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site (and to BC). I recently moved to Chilliwack from New England. I've been a hunter for 12 years, mostly hunting pheasant with a 20 or 12 gauge. I have just acquired my basic hunting license and my uplands bird species license, and would like to head up to Chilliwack Lake Provincial Park soon for some hunting. I'm hunting with a crossbow, which is a completely new style of hunting for me. I'm wondering if there are any grouse in that area, and what kind of rabbits are up there? In the regulations, it only says "Snowshoe Hare" but doesn't mention any other species. Are there any snowshoe hare up there, and if I see any other species of rabbit, am I allowed to take it, or would that be breaking the law?
Also, for anyone with crossbow experience, I have a Barnett Quad 400, with 150 lb pull, and my girlfriend has a Barnett Recruit, with 130 pound pull. Do you guys have any advice on the kind of tips I should use, that wont completely destroy the meat for a grouse? I hear that Judo tips are great.
Thank you very much

Ryo
10-09-2015, 07:19 PM
I don't know the Chilliwack lake area, or about crossbows, but I do know that there is no snowshoe hare hunting in the sub-regions south of the Fraser - though they are certainly there!

pheasantslayer
10-23-2015, 05:22 PM
I don't know the Chilliwack lake area, or about crossbows, but I do know that there is no snowshoe hare hunting in the sub-regions south of the Fraser - though they are certainly there!
Thanks!
In the regs for the MU that Chilliwack Lake falls under, it snowshoe hare is listed, so I'm assuming I can shoot one if I see it. Dont want to be wrong about that though

hoochie
10-23-2015, 10:20 PM
I haven't seen a snowshoe hare in that area. I could be totally wrong, but I haven't seen any this side of coq summit.
There are deer in that area and definitely grouse. I have even seen grouse on the main road right before the prison.
If you have the time ( an hour drive?) I would suggest going up to the coq summit just beyond the rest stop. There are forest service road accesses there. Grouse and snowshoe can be found there.

adriaticum
10-23-2015, 10:56 PM
Waste of time. There is an odd cotton tail and very frw grouse. Region 2 is too wet for any grouse numbers
Go fishing or go to region 8 for bugz and tweety

rides bike to work
10-23-2015, 11:29 PM
If your living in Chilliwack mag as well hunt here there is lots if area very close that have bunnies and birds.

forest service roads
near tamahi
ford mountain
mount thurston
vedder mountain
bench road
foley lake area
slesse creek
liumchean creek

North of the fraser

ruby creek
east Harrison
west hHarrison
mount wood side

lots of country for you to explore in your back yard
may a well buy a deer tag to to go with that upland game bird license you got there.

dmaxtech
10-24-2015, 10:18 AM
Thanks!
In the regs for the MU that Chilliwack Lake falls under, it snowshoe hare is listed, so I'm assuming I can shoot one if I see it. Dont want to be wrong about that though

Chilliwack Lake is in MU2-3 and Snowshoe hare is only allowed in MU 2-5 to 2-19. Like Ryo said, no snowshoe hare are allowed to be hunted south of the Fraser River or the #3 Hope Princeton till you get to MU8-4 and 8-5. Not worth getting busted over a couple rabbits.