PDA

View Full Version : First time Turkey hunt in the Okanagan

pheasantslayer
10-07-2015, 07:36 AM
He everyone, I'm new to this site (and to BC), and I was wondering if I could have some advice. I recently moved to Chilliwack from New England, and would like to take my girlfriend and her brother turkey hunting sometime in the beginning of November. We will be driving to the Okanagan just for a day, but if we dont see anything, we might stay one extra. Since it's a 3-4 hour drive and we have limited time, I'm just wondering if anyone could give me any tips on good areas to go? I've heard the Okanagan is the best place for turkey hunting in BC, but we wont have much time to do any scouting, so I'm worried that we will end up going somewhere with little to no turkeys. Also, should we bother bringing a decoy since we might have to move around a lot? Thank you

OKsean
10-07-2015, 07:49 AM
Turkey season closes in most regions of the Okanagan on October 15th - except region 8-1 and 8-9 which are open until November 30th (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1416/docs/region_8.pdf). I've heard of people seeing them on the road to Mount Baldy.

pheasantslayer
10-07-2015, 07:51 AM
Thank you, that certainly narrows it down.

.308SLAYER
10-07-2015, 07:58 AM
Ive seen em on the road to baldy more out rock creek towards west bridge that whole area just burned though

pheasantslayer
10-07-2015, 08:06 AM
Rock Creek is in MU 8-1, right?
That really sucks about the burn

ruger#1
10-07-2015, 11:19 AM
Rock creek is in 8-12. 8-14

BRrooster
10-07-2015, 05:10 PM
You would probably have more luck looking for Willow Grouse or otherwise know as Ruffed Grouse. They are a heck of a lot more common and can be found
on most Forest Service Roads, preferably less active ones. I like to hunt near water, someplace like creek bottoms or river bottoms . You'll get a lot more action.
Turkeys are hard to come by unless you've done a lot of scouting , or are just plain lucky.

Muliechaser
10-07-2015, 06:23 PM
You would probably have more luck looking for Willow Grouse or otherwise know as Ruffed Grouse. They are a heck of a lot more common and can be found
on most Forest Service Roads, preferably less active ones. I like to hunt near water, someplace like creek bottoms or river bottoms . You'll get a lot more action.
Turkeys are hard to come by unless you've done a lot of scouting , or are just plain lucky.

Ive seen them twice in 5 years in 8-1 . However 8-12 and beyond ive seen lots . I wouldnt concentrate on 8-1 or 8-9 soley for turkeys one would be lucky to find them on abound .

Mc

pheasantslayer
10-08-2015, 10:12 AM
Thanks guys. I'm hunting with a crossbow. I dont have my PAL yet and my shotguns and rifles are still in America. I am going to be doing some grouse hunting here in Chilliwack at Chilliwack Lake Provincial Park. I'm sure it will be quite a challenge with a crossbow, but a worthy experience.
I wouldn't complain if I went to the Okanagan for turkey and came back with a bunch of grouse instead. Good eating. I'll just have to plan it out better for Spring turkey season, do some scouting in advance, and maybe take a week's vacation.

10-08-2015, 10:43 AM
Best check your requirements to hunt here as a resident .......... you may not qualify yet ..... dont know all your details though.

pheasantslayer
10-08-2015, 11:32 AM
Best check your requirements to hunt here as a resident .......... you may not qualify yet ..... dont know all your details though.

Yeah we're all residents. I have my basic hunters license which is good for small game, and my uplands bird species license, which I am told covers turkey

10-08-2015, 11:44 AM
Yeah we're all residents. I have my basic hunters license which is good for small game, and my uplands bird species license, which I am told covers turkey

Upland bird species license ??? Never heard of that one unless your a non resident. If your a resident you do not require any upland bird license. Careful on how long you have resided here for ........ It's living a minimum 6 months in Province. Not trying to be a dick just giving you the heads up.

pheasantslayer
10-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Upland bird species license ??? Never heard of that one unless your a non resident. If your a resident you do not require any upland bird license. Careful on how long you have resided here for ........ It's living a minimum 6 months in Province. Not trying to be a dick just giving you the heads up.

Oh crap, thank you. That must be why they told me to get the upland bird license. I've been here since May. My girlfriend and her brother wont have to then, because they've been residents their whole lives.

pheasantslayer
10-08-2015, 01:23 PM

I've been looking over the regs and double checking by asking questions on here and at local stores. I've been hunting for 12 years, but being that I just moved here and it's my first time hunting in BC, things are a bit different and I didn't want to screw anything up. All I want is a good, safe, legal hunting season where I can get my girlfriend into it.

10-08-2015, 04:14 PM
Ok after research ....... Under non resident hunters ....... Page 9. Small game ..... It is not necessary for a non resident of BC to be accompanied by a licensed guide when hunting for small game ( includes game birds ) .

so looks like your good to go. If you do want to hunt water fowl you will also require a Migratory game bird license, at the post office on line or at some stores. When you do become a resident you will need a BC Hunter number ...... That lets you apply for Limited Entry hunts and hunt big game too. So give ER !

Good of luck getting your turkey!

pheasantslayer
10-08-2015, 05:56 PM
Ok after research ....... Under non resident hunters ....... Page 9. Small game ..... It is not necessary for a non resident of BC to be accompanied by a licensed guide when hunting for small game ( includes game birds ) .

so looks like your good to go. If you do want to hunt water fowl you will also require a Migratory game bird license, at the post office on line or at some stores. When you do become a resident you will need a BC Hunter number ...... That lets you apply for Limited Entry hunts and hunt big game too. So give ER !

Good of luck getting your turkey!

Thanks a lot man! That's a relief to hear!

BigD_83
10-23-2015, 01:44 PM
Maybe we'll run into each other. Planning on being there myself the second week of November. Gearing up for more than just turkey.

pheasantslayer
10-23-2015, 05:18 PM
Maybe we'll run into each other. Planning on being there myself the second week of November. Gearing up for more than just turkey.

Maybe we will, that's around the time I plan on going.
What else you hunting?

boone8
10-23-2015, 07:07 PM
I'm kind of in the same boat. My wife and I moved here from Moron-tario in August and moved into our BC house on Sept 5. We have to wait till Feb to get our resident hunting and fishing licenses. It was the residency requirements that got the hockey player in trouble for shooting the grizzly - from what I've read, all the charges stem from that so we really don't want to mess around with it. Seems kind of unfair that we bought a house and are paying taxes but February isn't that far away and by then, steelhead will be running.

BigD_83
10-23-2015, 07:23 PM
Maybe we will, that's around the time I plan on going.
What else you hunting?

We'll be grabbing WT tags, and also be prepared for duck/geese. Although looking at the map, I'm not sure the latter will be happening. It might end up being too much moving around unless we are successful with turkey first day out.