PDA

View Full Version : November Big Bucks

Big G Hunter
10-05-2015, 09:25 PM
Was wondering your thoughts on the best time to hunt mulies in November? The first 10 days of November or the last 10? Over the years I've had mixed success with both times. First part is better for rattling and calling and usually a bit milder but the last 10 is full blown rut, but can be cold as hell. -35 all week last year brr.

Just wondering what would be the better to take time off of work? In region 5 area.

Cyrus
10-05-2015, 09:31 PM
last ten imo...not much pressure...lots of snow...easy to count pts...imo deer season starts then..just find a pack of does and the big guy should be there. he wont leave his women either...

Sofa King
10-05-2015, 09:34 PM
my favourite time is all through November til the December 10th closer.
but the last few years have been brutal for warm/cold weather, thus making crunchy snow and ruining that whole time of the year.
sure hope it's better this year.

Big G Hunter
10-05-2015, 09:54 PM
yeah me too. Had 2 ft of fresh snow for last 10 days last year but it was cold as hell. Passed on a couple of 170's looking for something bigger but all we saw were 2-3 points.

warnniklz
10-05-2015, 10:09 PM
I usually get serious at the end of November. ..but the guy in my avatar was killed November 8th

Looking_4_Jerky
10-05-2015, 10:34 PM
I really don't hunt mulies in November anymore as the gamey *******s are not fit to be fed to dogs, but probably 80% of the better deer that I've seen have been have been in early November. Not sure why. My buddies all seem to report that the end of the month is where it's at, but personally the first week of the month has been best to me.

untilthelastbeat
10-06-2015, 07:01 AM
Where I hunt in reg 3 they don't start moving alot until mid Nov then pre rut around the 15th- 25th and then they blow up around the 28th until the first week or so of Dec. Iv shot a few around the 20th- 25th but there is so much pressure and that's usually when the first snow hits. If you wait until there is 2 feet of snow and it'd freezing there will be less pressure and that's when the big boys come out to play. Thats my favorite time to hunt mulie bucks

Bugle M In
10-06-2015, 11:48 AM
From what I've noticed over the years on this site, and stories posted.
It appears larger sized bucks are taken in the 1st week of Nov, but with others saying the height of rut being
late Nov.
It also depends where you go.
Also, not everyone posts their success on the site....
Just an observation.
Don't forget, years ago....when you could hunt to almost January for deer, there were some big bucks taken that hit the record books.
Especially in the Lumby area, whities and mulies, but they were also taken on private farmland etc.
Just try to get out as often as you can, that is the only sure way to up your success rate, and you wil have to pass on smaller 4 pts,
if you want to have a chance at a bruiser....skill is required, but luck has more to do with it...IMO.
Also, areas were there is less pressure...although with all the logging roads throughout the province, that is harder to find.
Good Luck.

Ourea
10-06-2015, 12:04 PM
I can't speak to Region 5.
Having said that, our group has killed some of our big bucks in late Oct....the largest being on Oct 27th.
I killed him at 10:30 in the morning on a sunny clear day.
We found that there is a 2 or 3 day window in late Oct where big bucks decide they are going to go for a walk about.
Things seem to go quiet after that until the beginning of the rut.

Mikey Rafiki
10-06-2015, 12:45 PM
Just come to the Kootenay's where you don't have an option to hunt later than the 10th. Takes all that stressful worrying about hunting in the rut out of the equation...

10-06-2015, 01:23 PM
I am not a fan of November Mule Deer hunting. The big bucks stink to the point where I find them inedible. My favourite time is early September in the high country.

Muliechaser
10-06-2015, 04:27 PM
yeah me too. Had 2 ft of fresh snow for last 10 days last year but it was cold as hell. Passed on a couple of 170's looking for something bigger but all we saw were 2-3 points.

170 class 2-3 points ?

Mc

Islandeer
10-06-2015, 06:04 PM
Just come to the Kootenay's where you don't have an option to hunt later than the 10th. Takes all that stressful worrying about hunting in the rut out of the equation...

LOL!!!

Only the real hunters kill 4pts in the EK....

Big G Hunter
10-06-2015, 08:32 PM
No he was a 170 4 point that I passed on but after that it was all 2-3 points.

Whonnock Boy
10-06-2015, 09:50 PM
Both you guys, if you don't already, need to start cutting your own deer. Take every bit of fat and heavy sinew off the carcass, and they are completely fine. No, they are not early season (opening week tender and tasty) but great to be ground up into burger.

I am not a fan of November Mule Deer hunting. The big bucks stink to the point where I find them inedible. My favourite time is early September in the high country.

I really don't hunt mulies in November anymore as the gamey *******s are not fit to be fed to dogs, but probably 80% of the better deer that I've seen have been have been in early November. Not sure why. My buddies all seem to report that the end of the month is where it's at, but personally the first week of the month has been best to me.

As for the original question, they are rutting now, especially the young ones, until December. IMO, the weather dictates the action hunters will see on any given trip. The colder it is, the more they are on the move feeding, and keeping warm in the sun. The opposite is true for mild weather.

10-06-2015, 11:32 PM
Both you guys, if you don't already, need to start cutting your own deer. Take every bit of fat and heavy sinew off the carcass, and they are completely fine. No, they are not early season (opening week tender and tasty) but great to be ground up into burger.

As for the original question, they are rutting now, especially the young ones, until December. IMO, the weather dictates the action hunters will see on any given trip. The colder it is, the more they are on the move feeding, and keeping warm in the sun. The opposite is true for mild weather.

I have always cut my own. I've shot a couple in November, my partners have shot many in November and I have just decided to leave them for others who like to hunt the rut. I've shot whitetails in the rut with no problems to minor stinky-ness. Elk is fine in the rut, moose is fine...but mulies...I'll pass.

I got a buck on September 11th this year - a big brute - and he is fantastic eating.

Sorry for the thread derail - I'll leave it at that.

bruin
10-06-2015, 11:40 PM
We've had some great hunts in late October and early December. I think it's more about conditions and knowing your hunting area. I like the 3rd week cause it's usually good and cold with snow.

Steelpulse
10-07-2015, 11:56 AM
We hunt as many days in november for mule deer as we can spend sept oct bird hunting scouting around for good areas but like i said hunt as many days as you can in nov to end of season and keep tabs of the deer your seeing for activity and such hunt harder once your seeing serious rut activity and focus on a smaller area you know well and ofcourse where there are deer and if you know there are big deer there Obviously
Weather for sure makes it difficult or easy sometimes but only way to get a big one is get out there and hunt, a giant deer can be shot anyday ans you see here everyone says from start nov-end season even oct. my days where everything stops and i hunt nov10-20

Muliechaser
10-07-2015, 06:27 PM
We hunt as many days in november for mule deer as we can spend sept oct bird hunting scouting around for good areas but like i said hunt as many days as you can in nov to end of season and keep tabs of the deer your seeing for activity and such hunt harder once your seeing serious rut activity and focus on a smaller area you know well and ofcourse where there are deer and if you know there are big deer there Obviously
Weather for sure makes it difficult or easy sometimes but only way to get a big one is get out there and hunt, a giant deer can be shot anyday ans you see here everyone says from start nov-end season even oct. my days where everything stops and i hunt nov10-20

Any day is right . Ive shot a few 160 class in september a 140 in october but i do have to say the biggest bucks i have ever seen were in november

Muliechaser
10-07-2015, 06:29 PM
No he was a 170 4 point that I passed on but after that it was all 2-3 points.

Oh lol . I was gonna say . 170 class 2 point holy shite. Wouldnt that be neat .