PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone around Kamloops hunt wolves?

Logan
10-04-2015, 10:27 PM
Hey just wondering if anyone around here has tried their hand at hunting any of the wolf packs. I encountered a pack in Clearwater last year but they never came out of the bush for me to get them but I was surrounded and could hear them howling. Any advice on how to lure them in, do those wounded animal calls that look sort of like a whistle but make an annoying sound actually work? Last year it was my buddy's puppy whimpering in the truck when we stepped out to go find a grouse that brought the wolves, dog started whining and next thing you know those wolves were all around us. I would like to take some of them out this year but I won't have a whining dog with me to bring them in so any tips would be appreciated! thanks

375shooter
10-04-2015, 10:51 PM
The calls you are referring to are called predator calls. They imitate the sound of a prey animal, such as a rabbit in distress. Prey animals will make these sounds when they are being killed by a predator, such as a wolf. Predators recognize these distress calls and will come to them, hoping for a free meal. Yes, they will work for wolves.

Hunting them is a good idea. More hunters should do it. Good luck.

Jagermeister
10-05-2015, 12:43 AM
Coyotes are more responsive to predator calls than wolves.
Coyotes are more solitary and are not above trying to purloin a wailing rabbit from one of their kin. Of course, they too can hunt in packs.
Wolves tend to be pack animals and there is very little wounded animal caterwauling when the wolf prey is in the throws of dying. Generally they are too exhausted by the chase to do any vocalization.
So wolves hunt in packs and once they have their quarry down it's time to chow down. They will on occasion start howling over a kill.
You don't get much of a chance to fire a shot at a wolf in timbered areas. Chances are very brief. Best bet for wolves are open expanses and long shots. Frozen lakes and clearcuts are the best places. Keep an eye on the sky, ravens, eagles, turkey vultures circling above may indicate a kill area. All you have to do is sneak in with the wind in your face.
If you're going to hunt them, invest in a long pair or two of rubber gloves, elbow length. Wolves are a source of the hydatid cyst and you do not want to contact that nasty.

Logan
10-05-2015, 08:03 AM
Thanks guys! i'll give my predator calls a shot this winter, or maybe i'll bring my dog and pinch her or something till she yelps lol

4 point
10-05-2015, 08:10 PM
In all my years of hunting in region 3 I have only seen a few and only shot at one once. A close miss at distance. Their around for sure in 3-28 & 3-29. Mostly seen in November. Would take them if I had a chance for sure. Seen their dirty work many times.

Jagermeister
10-05-2015, 08:22 PM
If you are using an electronic call, use the wolf howl. Probably more effective at locating and bringing them in. They're not fussy about sharing territory with another pack or lone wolf.

Jelvis
10-05-2015, 10:31 PM
If I wanted a wolf around kammy I'd go up Jamieson Creek between the 24 km to 27 km mark, they like moose meat and moose cross in there all the time during rut especially, moose swamps on each side of the main road and a heavy moose trail goes across the road. I've seen wolves there two different times, but only for a second and they vanish into the scrub and gone like a ghost on steroids. Then turn up Beaver Hut just b4 Whitewood Lake.
You go past Shelly Lake on Beaverhut and Cougar Hill, nice moose country with wolves.
Wolves are smarter than your average bear . :shock: . The wolf is so quick, you see it, it's gone!
Good clue -- where you see moose there will be bear and wolf
When you see grouse, you see mule deers ok
Jellyphant

Logan
10-05-2015, 11:41 PM
awesome tips guys! I look forward to trying to get one this year, I think it would make a badass bathroom mat, maybe a couple coyote face towels too? lol. I saw a wolf in Jameson Cr last year when I was hiking around black pines area, but you are right it was running so fast I couldnt even get my scope on it then it was gone.

Jelvis
10-06-2015, 12:00 AM
---> Moose are at 4000 foot level and higher usually here in Kammy during rut,
So the wolves would be around the same level.
--->In the snow time November and on in Kammy at 4000 feet will drive the short legged deer down but the moose have longer legs and push bushes over and eat the ends of the twigs.
They yard up. A wolf can out run a moose in snow that is crusted over, the moose sinks in two feet and the wolf rides on top of the crusted snow, the wolf will attack it when it stops to breath and out of energy.
jel -- J-My-Son-Crick -- check mu boundaries for MU 3-28 and 3-29 and 3-30 b4 going
Do not call wolves if your in darkness and away from your truck, they can sneak up on u.

BCHunterTV
10-06-2015, 02:50 PM
i plan to help Collar Wolves in the Kamloops area this winter

Jelvis
10-06-2015, 02:58 PM
Riiiide Ownnnnnn BC TV -- then we will know fur sher, where dah wild tuff top dogs go around the Kammy Forest dis trick. We will have contact Captain. Heli's, nets, darts, and if yah ate chilli you'll have some stinky farts. Not good brah in wolf and bear/cat country.
We'll have data once the collar is beamed up Scotty, G.I.S on steroids, air eels, positioning space craft to bounce off. Pick ups, 4 byes, atv's loaded for bear, looking for wolves.
jel -- lettuce know, when yah know, then we will know, yah know?
Blowin high doh --- Trad Jick Lee Hip!

BCHunterTV
10-06-2015, 03:04 PM
im talking snaring lol

Riiiide Ownnnnnn BC TV -- then we will know fur sher, where dah wild tuff top dogs go around the Kammy Forest dis trick. We will have contact Captain. Heli's, nets, darts, and if yah ate chilli you'll have some stinky farts. Not good brah in wolf and bear/cat country.
We'll have data once the collar is beamed up Scotty, G.I.S on steroids, air eels, positioning space craft to bounce off. Pick ups, 4 byes, atv's loaded for bear, looking for wolves.
jel -- lettuce know, when yah know, then we will know, yah know?
Blowin high doh --- Trad Jick Lee Hip!

Jelvis
10-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Snaring ok I thought you were a bio and had a collar beeper program to track the huge dawgs.
that would be a real experience for a younger chap.
Snaring what size wire do yah pull?
Jel -- Whip it, whip it good, I say whip it, whip it good, Crash that whip, around the neck.

Logan
10-06-2015, 05:52 PM
I bought a horn that simulates a wolf howl, i'm getting the hang of it much to the enjoyment of my neighbors I think hahaha. I'm going out Adams Lk hunting deer and immature moose if one comes in to a half ass call or two if I feel like making them, already have an LEH moose for the year so i'm not really into bagging an immature. Anyways I hear there might be wolves in the area, so if I don't see any deer or moose i'll break see if I can shoot some wolves!

and Collar Wolves? for tracking purposes?

Logan
10-06-2015, 05:54 PM
oh snaring haha I just read that.

Doostien
10-06-2015, 06:15 PM
The last one I shot I called in with a combination of coyote yelps and snowshoe hare in distress. It really helps if you know the general location. I knew that one was there, because I shot her brother the night before.

I've had success with wolf howls before as well. But again without at least being close you probably won't get anything. Need to look for sign be it tracks or scat. Or better yet a fresh kill.

When I read your post about the Collars BCHunterTV I was hoping they were GPS collars, then you could share the locations of the packs.... For err research..... Yeah.

Logan
10-06-2015, 08:42 PM
I am pretty sure I can find the wolves again no problem, i've come close to them a few times totally by accident, once in jameson creek/black pines area and twice up in Clearwater. i'll definitely try to mix in the coyote yelps and distressed rabbit calls, although I gotta work on all this stuff since i'm totally new to actually trying to hunt the wolves.

two-feet
10-07-2015, 07:19 AM
From my experience the packs can be patterned to some degree, they will run their territory along the same roads/powerlines in the winter and you can get a feel for when they will be along again if you spend some time in the same area. Obviously easier with snow on the ground. The only way to have many wolf sightings is to spend LOTS of time in the bush. Good luck, a tough challenge for sure

BigfishCanada
10-07-2015, 07:37 AM
in 10 years up in that area i have seen/heard them over 10 times, with only once I should have bagged one (Didnt feel it was safe to shoot) all the other times they weren't letting me get them, so i would say right place at right time would be your main chance