PDA

View Full Version : How do you get your black bear processed?

Murder
10-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Roasts, hams, pepperoni, sausage, ground?

Curious what the consensus is

keoke
10-04-2015, 09:39 PM
Roasts and lots of ground. I make a lot of beargehtti sauce through out the year.

seizuresalad
10-04-2015, 09:39 PM
I usually debone the whole thing, grind everything, pack the ground meat into 1, 2, 3, and 5lb packs, freeze it all, and take it out bit by bit to make whatever suits my fancy that particular week. Usually ends up at about 1/4 various types of sausage, 1/8 pepperoni, 1/8 bearburgers, and 1/2 whatever I'm cooking that needs ground meat, like lasagna, spaghetti sauce, chili, etc.

Tīɡ
10-04-2015, 09:42 PM
I ground mine and have had it made into meatballs, "beargehtti sauce", burgers, macaroni and tacos. With many other recipes waiting to be tried. All the ones listed have turned out excellent!!

Steeleco
10-05-2015, 06:19 AM
I cut and wrap our bears just as I do other game, steaks roast and ground. I save up all the trim for sausage. Save the fat for boot grease and bird bells!!

tigrr
10-05-2015, 07:55 AM
1st (fall) bear 75 lbs of de-boned meat 50% roasts, 50% burger. 2nd (spring) bear 95 lbs of de-boned meat 95% roasts 5% stew meat. This season it will be 50% roasts, 50% ground.
Nothing like a 7lb bear roast slow cooked all day at 250 degrees F in a half liter of beef broth. yum

honeyman76
10-05-2015, 08:13 AM
Can somebody tell me what bear tastes closest too? I have seen three nice looking bears with thick glossy coats this fall and one was last night with a thick brown coat.

LupieHunter
10-05-2015, 10:31 AM
Bear hams are also delicious

Steeleco
10-05-2015, 01:59 PM
Can somebody tell me what bear tastes closest too? I have seen three nice looking bears with thick glossy coats this fall and one was last night with a thick brown coat.

It's a taste all it's own but I compare it to red pork. Shoot one, if you don't like the meat I'm sure you won't be long in donating it.

skuntor
10-05-2015, 02:18 PM
Just ate a bear ham last night. Was a fully cooked ham so just heated it to 140. Extended family liked it and they don't love game meat. Tasted like a pork ham just tougher. Leftovers with go to split pea soup. Also had some made into pepperoni and dinner sausage.

ACB
10-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Bear tastes like bear. Fall bears, they usually taste a bit like what they'v being eating I find. If they have really been in too berries they can have a hint of sweet flavour. I find on a fall bear if you leave to much fat on them they'll tend to taste like what they'v been eating and sometimes thats not a bad thing but other times it make them taste like shite. A buddy of mine shot one while moose hunting one year that had been eating rose hips, like lots of rose hips. He got it made into fresh dinner sausage, I couldn't eat it it was too strong. Me personally I like spring bears, easier to skin and I like the flavour better.

tigrr
10-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Bear taste between veal and mutton. A little greasy like mutton and very tender if cooked right. It is some what bland if you don't add spices. Garlic, lots of garlic.

IslandBC
10-08-2015, 06:12 AM
I just got 95 lbs of pepperoni.. Bear pepperoni is delicious if you have the right butcher

MichelD
10-13-2015, 11:31 AM
I cut and wrap our bears just as I do other game, steaks roast and ground. I save up all the trim for sausage. Save the fat for boot grease and bird bells!!

I agree, except I don't make any chops or steaks out of bear but lots of stew and I save the ribs for roast racks of ribs too.

I don't see the point of making prepared meat products like sausage or pepperoni out of perfectly good game meat. Ruins it in my opinion. Can't stomach pepperoni. Dinner sausages and other products I've had made by butchers are so adulterated with pork fat and standard spices they taste like something from Safeway in my humble opinion.

MichelD
10-13-2015, 11:33 AM
1st (fall) bear 75 lbs of de-boned meat 50% roasts, 50% burger. 2nd (spring) bear 95 lbs of de-boned meat 95% roasts 5% stew meat. This season it will be 50% roasts, 50% ground.
Nothing like a 7lb bear roast slow cooked all day at 250 degrees F in a half liter of beef broth. yum

Sounds awesome.

jamfarm
10-16-2015, 08:09 PM
Bear taste between veal and mutton. A little greasy like mutton and very tender if cooked right. It is some what bland if you don't add spices. Garlic, lots of garlic.

Sonny, true love is the greatest thing in the world, except for a nice MLT; Mutton, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe.

Substitue mutton for bear.

nature girl
10-17-2015, 07:37 AM
Bear meat cut it thin add a lot of spices and fry it up real good and it is almost as good as jerky but a little juicier. That is how I like it now. Or bear roasts are so good.