PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a meat hunt

JIL_24/7
10-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Hello All!
Just returned from a moose hunt that was unfortunately unsuccessful in bringing home meat. I have three children and want to feed them wild game as it is healthier. The last two years I got a moose which covered most of our needs, but this year it doesn't look like that is going to happen. Now I need to go find some meat! I am not a bone hunter at all at this point. I am simply a meat hunter. I am hoping some can give me some ideas as to where I might have the best shot to take a couple of whitetail does/bucks as that is what I would prefer for meat. I am always more than willing to take co-ordinates to honey holes via PM :-P, but in all reality I am looking for a place within about 3-6 hours of the Lower Mainland that I can hunt from October 12-16. Thanks in advance for any ideas because this will be my first time out concentrating on whities. God bless

Jelvis
10-03-2015, 05:45 PM
Logan Lake Exit 336 off the Coq5, three hours from the Lower Strangeland
Mule deer every where this year according to local most experienced deer and moose and bear hunters. Whitetail deer too.
Also up the hill from Merritt Exit 315 Helmer Lake could see a deer or two.
Up the Canyon 1, I would go to Ashcroft then turn to Highland Valley.
Check your BC 2015 Hunting Regulations for positive information for MU's and limits.
Fast to get there, and good chance at getting a shot off at a deer.
Jel -- Logan Lake off Exit 336 either side of hwy, check distance off the hwy to start shooting. Study a map showing Helmer Exit 315 with Exit 336 at Lac La Jeune/Logan Lake. Awesome.

aggiehunter
10-03-2015, 06:18 PM
maybe you can borrow some meat from that guy with the sick dog eating everyones Dec. Mule deer....

Quince
10-03-2015, 06:24 PM
if your set on game grab a bear tag and migratory bird tag and get shootin

emerson
10-03-2015, 06:25 PM
if your set on game grab a bear tag and migratory bird tag and get shootin
Yes on the bear, migratory birds may be difficult without a mentor.

Sofa King
10-03-2015, 06:35 PM
i cant put you on whitetail does.
have no idea where the deer are.
i can't pm you more specifics if you are interested.

JIL_24/7
10-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Thanks everyone. I do have a bear tag and the ability to duck hunt, but as a family we prefer ungulates so I am trying that route first. Whitetail meat has been the preferred deer meat so I am starting there because I don't think I have enough days to put in the kind of time it will take to pattern and find a bull elk. I tend to take my time and do a lot of walking as fuel is expensive!

bridger
10-03-2015, 08:05 PM
Nice too see. Good luck

rides bike to work
10-03-2015, 10:37 PM
If you get a young mulie buck it will taste just as good as any rat white tail out there

.264winmag
10-03-2015, 10:54 PM
Region 8-10 is filthy with wt does, personally the wt is the best eating deer we have. I do believe you're allowed 2 wt in that region, one Buck one doe. Best double check. Most of region 8 has good wt numbers. Good luck.

Jelvis
10-03-2015, 11:03 PM
Try for a two point mule deer or a spike, the meat will be awesome and good. Easy to handle once you get the guts out and the legs and head off, it will be light enuff to throw around.
Not only that the Merritt to Kamloops on the Coq5 has roads off by Exit numbers.
You could cut off at Merritt and go on thru to Westwold thru the 3-20 whitetails and healthy muley. Mule deer meat is a courser muscle fibre than a whitetail of the same size.
The rut starts for mules on Oct23 and whitetail about ten days later. That's when the musky odor from scent pads get rancid on bucks, but not year and a half olds yet as much.

HarryToolips
10-04-2015, 09:21 AM
Try for a two point mule deer or a spike, the meat will be awesome and good. Easy to handle once you get the guts out and the legs and head off, it will be light enuff to throw around.
Not only that the Merritt to Kamloops on the Coq5 has roads off by Exit numbers.
You could cut off at Merritt and go on thru to Westwold thru the 3-20 whitetails and healthy muley. Mule deer meat is a courser muscle fibre than a whitetail of the same size.
The rut starts for mules on Oct23 and whitetail about ten days later. That's when the musky odor from scent pads get rancid on bucks, but not year and a half olds yet as much.
This is true, young muley bucks are tasty, if the meat is handled properly...

palmer
10-04-2015, 09:57 AM
If you want to drive to 8-15 I can fill you in on Elk and Whitetails....let me know if you are interested ....I am Bulled out as of last week and still have a few spots left with Elk

palmer

blacklab
10-04-2015, 11:42 AM
Logan Lake Exit 336 off the Coq5, three hours from the Lower Strangeland
Mule deer every where this year according to local most experienced deer and moose and bear hunters. Whitetail deer too.
Also up the hill from Merritt Exit 315 Helmer Lake could see a deer or two.
Up the Canyon 1, I would go to Ashcroft then turn to Highland Valley.
Check your BC 2015 Hunting Regulations for positive information for MU's and limits.
Fast to get there, and good chance at getting a shot off at a deer.
Jel -- Logan Lake off Exit 336 either side of hwy, check distance off the hwy to start shooting. Study a map showing Helmer Exit 315 with Exit 336 at Lac La Jeune/Logan Lake. Awesome.

Do you have shares in one of the Logan Lake gas stations?

Jelvis
10-04-2015, 02:19 PM
blacklab hey whad up? Your saying the Jelman digs logan lake area? Is it that obvious. I'm oblivious, my Face is towards Paska, maybe Duran Duran, or Chartrand med does. Guicion for a sneek peak -- wham bam thank you BLAM!
-- It's a Mammit size problem with tons of Bose, and Leighton was just behind Tunkwa, says he's heading out on the 4200 to-day, I drove over Six mile and finally found the Indian Gardens, so I thought heck, I cranked my neck, stroked my hair and I was like outta there, I was tinkin, might as well keep going on this Farmers road, ding dong the light went on so off twardz Ashcroft above Walla Sheen if yah know whad I meen, thru the Barnes Lake road to the 97C listening to the Capital S N double O P the D O double G yah see for a late season toad above the road by Pennie Lake and hit A$hcort, but I decided to take Pat to the power lines above Savona. I Forged ahead and I felt goody and you knew that I woody.
-- Might head to Chuwells or Greenstone with a Cherry on top, oh well it's a nice spot bin thar b4, 4 sure, if coming up on the Coq5 you'll come alive at Exit 336 does the twick -- from the Lower $trange land -- oh o your Fast & Furious to Exit 336 -- 3 hour drive and your already in deer hunting country gaylore
Jelly with Kelly Creek Cammo Clothing Company it's a wham, it's a Bam, it's a deer grand salami --> Reg 3 abides -- -------Dah Big LaBowski -- The Dude said so -- Deer ever ree ware
Garrrr in tea you'll love the meat.

JIL_24/7
10-04-2015, 05:56 PM
I'm so glad my post awoke Jelvis lol. Thanks Palmer. I'll PM you

Lillypuff
10-04-2015, 06:51 PM
Wait until whitetail does are open and then head up Logan lake way. Should be able too find a small mule and might get lucky and see a few whiteswhites