PDA

View Full Version : Being Bear safe in 1-57A October

Junmity
10-02-2015, 09:23 AM
I'm a solo hunter for the most part and even when I do hunt we a group we all split up for the day.

I typically get about 20-30 days in the bush (mostly on foot) I never gave it too much thought because I've only ever run into a couple black bears and was happy to see them!

This time I'm going to solo hunt a bison on October 16th in 7-57A near pink mountain and all the threads I read are that there are a lot of Grizz.....

I carry bear spray on the hip and usually don't walk more than 10 steps without stoping to scan an area for game.

I keep an Inreach for emergency SOS and to let the family know i'm safe in camp every night.

Just wondering if any of you have advice on how to be more vigilent and prevent an unwanted encounter with a grizz or if you do......

Thanks for taking the time!

Junmity
10-02-2015, 09:25 AM
Correction: 7-57A

emerson
10-02-2015, 09:53 AM
Solo bison hunt and your are concerned about bear interactions because you never really thought about it before...... Not to be internet critical, but it sounds like you may have bit off more than you realized. Dealing with any big game by yourself can be brutal work. Bison is more... Yes, grizzles worry me, I hunt solo some and don't move much in the dark. They are not like Disney characters. They not evil, just hungry and don't like being surprised. Also they don't care either way what you feel about them or that you just want to leave them alone. There are many on here that do solo and tent hunting, but they have also experienced challenging bear encounters.

wideopenthrottle
10-02-2015, 10:14 AM
it is definitely not very nice to have to do multiple trips into a kill site by yourself...small loads of meat with rifle/g gun ready both directions or bigger loads and not too ready. either way, ya have to "sweat it"

Junmity
10-02-2015, 10:25 AM
Thanks Emerson,

When you prase my question like that, Its hard not to sound like an ass.....

I get that the processing of a bison can be a challenge but I've solo processed moose, elk, deer & bear. I'm pretty good with a knife and block & tackle....

OK, my quote, I never give it much thought is inacurate.... I think about, I'm concerned about it, I think I just began to feel too comfortable because I've never had a Grizz encounter and all the black bear encounters I had were welcome because I love the meat.

So unless you want to meet me up there on October 16th and hunt with me, let's keep to the original question:

You always hear about when it goes wrong but rarely when it goes right!

I want to hear from the guys who never / rarely have encounters cause that doesn't happen by accident!

10-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Just got back from zone B.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/1899/Grizzly%20and%20Bison_zpsdhw1mnlx.jpeg

My hunting partner and his father + brother were up last year and got two.

Sylus
10-02-2015, 01:11 PM
I have never tried it myself but I have heard of people leaving stinky clothing items at kill sites to help ward off grizz. IMO you are doing the best thing by carrying bear spray.

If that still doesn't make you feel comfortable you could upgrade to certified grizzly bear spray: http://www.counterassault.com/
Allegedly that stuff is designed for G bears.

emerson
10-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Thanks Emerson,

When you prase my question like that, Its hard not to sound like an ass.....

I get that the processing of a bison can be a challenge but I've solo processed moose, elk, deer & bear. I'm pretty good with a knife and block & tackle....

OK, my quote, I never give it much thought is inacurate.... I think about, I'm concerned about it, I think I just began to feel too comfortable because I've never had a Grizz encounter and all the black bear encounters I had were welcome because I love the meat.

So unless you want to meet me up there on October 16th and hunt with me, let's keep to the original question:

You always hear about when it goes wrong but rarely when it goes right!

I want to hear from the guys who never / rarely have encounters cause that doesn't happen by accident!
Sounds like you have things organized better than I assumed. I haven't had a "close" grizz encounter yet, but the advise I follow is watch the wind most of all. If they can't smell us coming we surprise them and that's bad.

monasheemountainman
10-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Bison hunt would not be much fun solo I wouldn't worry about bears. The odds are you will come back without seeing one and the odds are so small that you will be attacked by one. If you are attacked, shitty luck shoot him in the head

Salty
10-02-2015, 04:53 PM
Best thing you can do as always keep a clean camp. Keep any food attractants sealed up and don't leave dirty pots and pans out. Then there's the kill site and having to return a few times be very aware that's the most danger probably.

Junmity
10-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Bison hunt would not be much fun solo I wouldn't worry about bears. The odds are you will come back without seeing one and the odds are so small that you will be attacked by one. If you are attacked, shitty luck shoot him in the head

What part wouldn't be fun solo?

I'm a bit different this way but I love the meat processing part of experience....

With moose that I couldn't carry out in one go, I've dragged the quarters away from the gut pile with a sled (I go gutless method so its a lighter quarter) and hung em high in game bags using tree steps to get a ratchet strap around a tree good and high then a block and tackle to hoist it up. When the weather cooperates you can take several days to hump it out at your leisure.

I'm self employed so my hunt dates need to be flexible and sometimes I have to fly home for a couple days to deal with unexpected emergencies. At least this way I don't disappoint my would be hunting partner by bailing....

monasheemountainman
10-02-2015, 05:20 PM
You'll be fine

Junmity
10-02-2015, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, some great advice and I'm feeling a lot better!

I always keep bear spray on my right hip but was thinking of adding a fog horn on my left...

Anyone carry one of those?

Junmity
10-02-2015, 05:35 PM
Also the thing that really got me thinking was in all the posts about bison hunting there were always guys that would say, "there's lots of Grizz up there"

For those of you that have made such posts, is it because you saw a lot of sign or because you had an encounter?

I hunted Walker Creek Rd area in 7-17 for the past two years and always saw lots of gizz shit but over a total of 17 days never saw one.

ODDBALL
10-02-2015, 09:20 PM
FOX 40 whistle instead of air horn used it against momma B Bear an cub, small transistor radio @ kill site

Xenomorph
10-02-2015, 09:37 PM
Buddy of mine went up in the bow season to Upper Squamish and the black bear he thought he saw on the bank of the river was actually a grizzly sow with cubs. He had nothing but his bow with him.

I'd say be prepared: spray, rifle (presumably since it's bison you went for a big enough cartridge), keep clean camp and enjoy. I have to say I envy you, I'm about to work my ass off with the financial season coming to an end, when all I'd love to do was go hunt.

Have a safe successful, and bring back meat and some good stories.

10-02-2015, 10:02 PM
My buddy and his brother, both of whom are experienced and stronger than probably 95% of hunters, said they had their hands full. A mature bull is much bigger than a moose. Going the gutless method route will help quite a bit as they have huge heads, necks and rib cages. Do you have a quad? The roads into the area are clay and get extremely slick - it's like driving on ice when it is wet. There was a dusting of snow when we were there (got back three days ago) and the snow was sticking at higher elevations.

Xenomorph
10-02-2015, 10:41 PM
^ What did they do, sled and used the quad to drag it out?

10-02-2015, 11:59 PM
^ What did they do, sled and used the quad to drag it out?

They had quads and snowmobiles (November). They got the two animals field dressed and then went and got some help. He said the amount left after head, hide, guts and ribs were taken off was surprisingly small.

Junmity
10-03-2015, 09:41 AM
I'm all about tasty meat so I'll be going for small and tender over big and impressive.

I have no use for the cape and horns so those will stay and I'll debone the ribs neck and back.

I do have an ATV but I plan on going into an area where I'll have to hike so I can get away from the other atv's as I understand the bison don't like them.

I have two cans of Bear spray, so Ill keep one on the hip and one in the hand when i go through the thick stuff.

I have a bluetooth speaker so maybe I'll bring that so I can play a podcast or ebook out loud as I field dress and haul out the meat.

I have a bigfoot camper so I'll just stay at the ranch and atv to the hiking point everyday.

My food is primarily MRE's and rehidrated mountain meals and I keep an air tight tub for my garbage.

Most of all, I keep an inreach with two way comunicatioin to let the family know I'm at camp safe for the night and in a worse case scenario, I have SOS to SAR if necessary.

monasheemountainman
10-03-2015, 10:34 AM
its not about the size of the animal in my opinion IF you have snow. if there is snow you can bring a sled and a skimmer, quarter it up and load everything your self. if no snow then the job gets a lot tougher as you cannot take a quad off the trails. the tough part is the cold, at least for me it was, it was mentally challenging and I wouldn't have wanted it to do it solo, as it would be a 3 hr job for me to skin/ quarter it up and load it, then sled back with my eyes frozen shut. It was a lot quicker with a couple buddies helping, and made it way more enjoyable.

Xenomorph
10-03-2015, 12:50 PM
I don't know J, cape and horns for a mount and rug? No? For that reason alone I'd pair up with someone for increased chances and shared work. There's enough good meat on a bison for two households.

Good luck with the hunt man, share the experience.

thepitchedlink
10-03-2015, 01:10 PM
I like your tree step/ratchet strap idea...might try that. I'll add that when having to make multiple trips to the kill site, you can put up a "flag pole" in the center of the gut pile. put some flagging tape on it so it can be seen from a ways off. When you return, if the pole has been knocked down...something has been there!!! if you can see the flag as your close in...better chance it is OK at the site...

Junmity
10-03-2015, 04:28 PM
I'm open to pairing up but I would want to do it with someone who could meet me there and has been on a successful 7-57A Bison hunt....

If someone fits that description, PM me. you can keep the cape, horns and share of meat!