PDA

View Full Version : For All The Sheep Hunters Out There.

375shooter
10-01-2015, 10:07 PM
I went on my first ever sheep hunt this year. My hunting partner injured his back just prior to the trip, so I ended up going alone. What a hunt! And at my age! Holy crap! It was by far the most physically demanding hunt of my entire life!!! Even though it was that demanding and having not seen a single sheep the entire trip, I'm hooked! My goal now is to succeed in finally getting that elusive Stone, then afterwards try for a full curl Bighorn.

I'm just curious about how many seasons other sheep hunters have hunted before getting their first ram, as well as how many rams in total you have harvested during your entire sheep hunting career and in how many years. Pictures are welcome. Hopefully this will make for an interesting thread.

Cheers,
Pat.

Dre
10-01-2015, 10:15 PM
4 seasons for me. Came close 2 years ago, but let him be and looked for something bigger, should have taken him, oh well. Last year, saw over 40 sheep, nothing legal. This year is a bust as I couldn't go. It will happen though, I can feel it. They say your first sheep is born the season you start sheep hunting, haha. Easy enough math and mine is going to be legal in the next year or 2.

Dre
10-01-2015, 10:28 PM
Nice going on the solo hunt. There is something about being alone that makes it an even grander adventure. I usually have he dog with me, but close enough.
http://i60.tinypic.com/2zrgehu.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/261du7l.jpg

bridger
10-01-2015, 10:28 PM
I read somewhere that it takes five years for the average BC resident stone sheep hunter to get that first ram. Seems about right from the sheep hunters I know. With all the information being shared on the hunting sites and Facebook I imagine that will change.

BCbillies
10-01-2015, 10:44 PM
See link: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?18193-Stone-Effort-Number-of-Years&highlight=Stones+success

Six years for my first. It appears to be coming sooner now for most.

.264winmag
10-01-2015, 11:25 PM
Nice work on getting out solo 375! It's crazy tough alone but something to be proud of, ram or not it's a tough slug. Been lucky enough to get 3 on first four trips, packed partners ram out the year I didn't squeeze the trigger, and left one behind.

375shooter
10-02-2015, 12:03 AM
4 seasons for me. Came close 2 years ago, but let him be and looked for something bigger, should have taken him, oh well. Last year, saw over 40 sheep, nothing legal. This year is a bust as I couldn't go. It will happen though, I can feel it. They say your first sheep is born the season you start sheep hunting, haha. Easy enough math and mine is going to be legal in the next year or 2.

It sounds like you're in good sheep country. Hang in there. You'll get him soon! Nice pictures, too!

375shooter
10-02-2015, 12:10 AM
I read somewhere that it takes five years for the average BC resident stone sheep hunter to get that first ram. Seems about right from the sheep hunters I know. With all the information being shared on the hunting sites and Facebook I imagine that will change.

See link: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?18193-Stone-Effort-Number-of-Years&highlight=Stones+success

Six years for my first. It appears to be coming sooner now for most.

Five or six years? That's about what I thought. In the end, when you finally get him, it'll be that much more rewarding.

Rackmastr
10-02-2015, 12:11 AM
I hunted bighorns in Alberta for over 10 years and didn't kill one. I'd say that a couple of the years I didn't hunt as hard as I should have or committed as much time as I probably could have if killing a bighorn was my main goal.

Two years in BC and I killed my first Stone ram. I also put the time in planning, fitness, and put myself in a position to have a successful hunt. Now I'm back to bighorns and need to start getting serious about getting into some good quality chances. Learning new areas and spending time there are my two biggest goals. Hard when there are so many cool opportunities in this province!!

375shooter
10-02-2015, 12:34 AM
Nice work on getting out solo 375! It's crazy tough alone but something to be proud of, ram or not it's a tough slug. Been lucky enough to get 3 on first four trips, packed partners ram out the year I didn't squeeze the trigger, and left one behind.

Three rams! You're doing good! I'll be happy if I get just one.

My solo trip was extremely rewarding. Even though I never located the sheep, I consider it a complete success. There is sort of an euphoric rush from being alone so many kilometers from civilization. Before this trip, I wasn't even sure if I was capable of it and I was pretty much clueless about anything to do with sheep hunting. I know so much more now! I can hardly wait till next season. I have a much better plan and now I think I know where the sheep are. :-)

375shooter
10-02-2015, 12:59 AM
I hunted bighorns in Alberta for over 10 years and didn't kill one. I'd say that a couple of the years I didn't hunt as hard as I should have or committed as much time as I probably could have if killing a bighorn was my main goal.

Two years in BC and I killed my first Stone ram. I also put the time in planning, fitness, and put myself in a position to have a successful hunt. Now I'm back to bighorns and need to start getting serious about getting into some good quality chances. Learning new areas and spending time there are my two biggest goals. Hard when there are so many cool opportunities in this province!!

Variety is the spice of life. You got to love BC! Congratulations on getting your Stone. Put the same effort into your BC Bighorn quest, and you will succeed.

digger dogger
10-02-2015, 07:27 AM
Just did my 4th stone's hunt this year.
Saw 15-20 rams, zero shooters.
Next year i have some buddies from outta prov hunting here.
So i doubt i'll be able to hunt stones.
Theres always 2017:-)

decker9
10-02-2015, 07:35 AM
This year was #6 for me in 8 years, finally seen my first ram this year, better luck next year maybe. Cheers on huntin solo, I hunt goats alone when I can, just something about doing it, alone. Cheers!

swampthing
10-02-2015, 07:42 AM
I hunt solo on mountain hunts quite a bit. The only sheep I have taken was on a solo hunt. My best goat was on a solo hunt. If given the chance I will take a good partner but I always plan my hunts solo and if someone joins in, great. I like the ability to do what I want when I want. Its very rewarding to me to do it all myself and rely on my woods ability to deal with whatever arises. I did a solo backpack/bikepack grizz hunt this spring. I took my lab with me on that hunt and enjoyed his company. No bear but the trip was a constant rush of adrenaline. Getting away from all life's stress and even other people is great at times. Looks like you had a good time

Stone Sheep Steve
10-02-2015, 08:34 AM
Took my first stone on my second trip for them but previously, I got lucky and shot a rocky after only buying a tag or two. The next year after the rocky I drew a cali LEH and connected. I attribute my success to having learned from sheep-savvy individuals.
Have been in one three more stones since my first.

The harder you train for your hunt, the more you will enjoy it. If you spot a good ram on a far off mountain, your training will give you the confidence to go for it. You can't give yourself experience and knowledge but you can control your fitness level.

But the most important advice is to just enjoy the country where they live. Doesn't get much better.

Huss
10-02-2015, 11:09 AM
Two years to connect on my first ram this year. The first year was the hardest but once you have been up there the planning gets easier. I got lucky. I had figured 4 years before I got consistent results seeing sheep. Good luck and good on you to do it solo.

bighornbob
10-02-2015, 12:41 PM
I went on my first stone hunt in 1992 but did a few bighorn hunts before that. Since then I have primarily targeted bighorns and do a trip for stones about every 5 years or so. Took my first ram (a Rocky from the east koots in 1998). My second ram was a Cali from 2009 in the general open season areas along the Fraser River. In 2013 I took another Rocky, but this one was from Spences Bridge. My fourth ram will be taken in about two weeks, not sure if its going to be a Cali or a Rocky but it will be a bighorn:-P

BHB

Krico
10-02-2015, 08:36 PM
I got lucky and dumped my first ram on my 2nd trip. Had blown out my knee and spent the week chewing pain killers like pez dragging my ass around with trekking poles. Shot him from my tent at first light lol! Next was a late season October trip got weathered out (snow) during hike up on day one so changed gears and chased elk/moose instead. Then last year got the one in my avatar, was a dream ram for me awesome cape, length, mass and character. Trip was crazy tough.
I could just as easily have 3 rams, or none. Guys I was with both times I shot were supposed to have first shot, but were elsewhere when shot opportunity showed up...and we always agree not to let one walk for that reason!
if you want pics I posted them just search

BCbillies
10-02-2015, 10:52 PM
Have been fortunate to have been on nine Stones taken in eleven trips . . . four on my tags. Would love to do another dozen trips but it isn't get any easier. Went out for a couple days for bighorn last year for the first time and got onto the one in my avatar. Did all but pull the trigger. See what happens this year. Life is good if a guy can chase sheep every year! :)

375shooter
10-03-2015, 09:32 AM
Took my first stone on my second trip for them but previously, I got lucky and shot a rocky after only buying a tag or two. The next year after the rocky I drew a cali LEH and connected. I attribute my success to having learned from sheep-savvy individuals.
Have been in one three more stones since my first.

The harder you train for your hunt, the more you will enjoy it. If you spot a good ram on a far off mountain, your training will give you the confidence to go for it. You can't give yourself experience and knowledge but you can control your fitness level.

But the most important advice is to just enjoy the country where they live. Doesn't get much better.

Yeah, that was one of many mistake I made. I should have gotten into better shape before the hunt. I will next year.

375shooter
10-03-2015, 09:43 AM
This year was #6 for me in 8 years, finally seen my first ram this year, better luck next year maybe. Cheers on huntin solo, I hunt goats alone when I can, just something about doing it, alone. Cheers!

I thoroughly enjoyed hunting solo. I felt it added to the whole experience.

The one evening after seeing a grizzly on my way back to camp, made me thing a little, but no biggie. When it saw me it ran the the other way so I guess he didn't want any more trouble than I did.

Andrewh
10-04-2015, 08:44 PM
3 trips and 3 tags cut for stones, my advice is invest in the best gear possible so weather will not prevent you from hunting or carrying on with your initial plan.

Also I hunt with my feet, I don't spend hours sitting in one area waiting. I go and find them!!!!

71_camaro
10-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Took us 6 years to get a nice one but an old timer i met at paradise lake sent us on a wild goose chase the first three.should have changed stratagy sooner

.264winmag
10-04-2015, 10:03 PM
3 trips and 3 tags cut for stones, my advice is invest in the best gear possible so weather will not prevent you from hunting or carrying on with your initial plan.

Also so I hunt with my feet, I don't spend hours sitting in one area waiting. I go and find them!!!!

Yup if they're not there keep on trucking. Worked every time for us so far. Good quality light gear, move camp as much as you need. Find em...

375shooter
10-04-2015, 10:23 PM

Also so I hunt with my feet, I don't spend hours sitting in one area waiting. I go and find them!!!!

Yup if they're not there keep on trucking. Worked every time for us so far. Good quality light gear, move camp as much as you need. Find em...

Sound advice! Next year I'm going to be better prepared. I'll have lighter gear, a better pack, better optics and will pack more food. Then I'll keep searching until I find the sheep and if there is no legal ram, I'll keep searching til I find one.