PDA

View Full Version : How are the deer numbers?

Quince
10-01-2015, 09:31 PM
So with everyone finished all their prescout trips, whats the general consensus? Are deer numbers up or down this year? Has your region taken a beating or are the bucks lining up to get in the back of the pickup?

coach
10-01-2015, 11:19 PM
I was out in 8-17 and 3-21 the other day and saw bucks everywhere. Populations are looking very good in those areas. Tons of blue grouse too.

Tīɡ
10-01-2015, 11:45 PM
I was out in 8-17 and 3-21 the other day and saw bucks everywhere. Populations are looking very good in those areas. Tons of blue grouse too.

Looks like someone is being cheeky tonight!!

caddisguy
10-02-2015, 07:10 AM
Tons of deer all over the highways. My brother is a long haul trucker and has crash-flopped a few deer in the last week or so. One was a nice buck. Wonder if they salted the roads already? Anyway other truckers are saying the same thing... deer all over the highways like lemmings... #1, #3, #5, #97 Numbers sound good but be careful out there!!

digger dogger
10-02-2015, 07:20 AM
Seeing as last winter, was so mild, (across most of bc)
I doubt a single animal died off.
Im seeing more than usual deer #'s

.300WSMImpact!
10-02-2015, 08:02 AM
depends on the area, high hunter population = less bucks, some areas look good others look poor you should have no problem filling tags

Fisher-Dude
10-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Deer all over the place.

Even see some of those Kootenay guys are shooting mulw deer!

Foxtail
10-02-2015, 10:51 AM
Saw more bucks on my sept moose hunt than any other year in that area.

M.Dean
10-02-2015, 10:52 AM
Now that's news to me? First I heard of deer being numbered, but with us hav'in to get plates for our quads, I guess it's not a big surprise that the deer got to be numbered too! The ones I been see'in ain't got there numbers yet, is there a dead line for them, same as me with my quad?

.300WSMImpact!
10-02-2015, 11:26 AM
Deer all over the place.

Even see some of those Kootenay guys are shooting mulw deer!

saw more mule deer this year in the koots than have all the years in past combined, maybe the wolves have switched to elk only, thats why the locals are saying there is no elk left and it needs to go back to LEH

Fisher-Dude
10-02-2015, 11:49 AM
saw more mule deer this year in the koots than have all the years in past combined, maybe the wolves have switched to elk only, thats why the locals are saying there is no elk left and it needs to go back to LEH

The elk season is the Kootenays is pretty foolproof from a conservation standpoint. It isn't affecting numbers whatsoever.

I can never figure out why some hunters think that stopping hunting will somehow help ungulate numbers when there are 6 point seasons. Baffling.

Perhaps those "locals" just don't like coasties or Okanaganites hunting in "their" areas, and it really has nothing to do with elk or moose or deer...

wsm
10-02-2015, 09:27 PM
where I went early , there normally isn't a huge number of deer. some . (was moose hunting) this year there were deer everywhere, never seen so many there , EVER!

Looking_4_Jerky
10-02-2015, 09:41 PM
A conservative estimate of a full day's hunt today would be 50 deer, only 2 of which were bucks! One probably should have been in the truck, but our new shooter is still working out the bugs in his system. Ratio seemed a bit skewed, but I guess one day is hardly a good measure of what's out there.

HarryToolips
10-02-2015, 09:41 PM
Seeing as last winter, was so mild, (across most of bc)
I doubt a single animal died off.
Im seeing more than usual deer #'s
Yup I agree.....

Coachman
10-02-2015, 10:18 PM
Took my daughter out for youth season in 8-? ... They were crawling all over the place.

Just back from the same area and only saw one buck as he mooned us going over the ridge. Never to be seen again.

M.Dean
10-03-2015, 03:44 AM
We've been seeing lots of does, and a real high number of them have twin fawns this year. And lots of small bucks too, but, as far larger bucks go, seems to be a real shortage of them, again!

Cyrus
10-03-2015, 07:08 AM
We've been seeing lots of does, and a real high number of them have twin fawns this year. And lots of small bucks too, but, as far larger bucks go, seems to be a real shortage of them, again!

X2 for my area...lots of big bucks on the hwy...only place I have seen anything with 4 pts...

hickman
10-03-2015, 09:34 AM
Yes, lots of does, few bucks so far. Talking Sea-to-Sky, Pemberton,Hurley area....

HarryToolips
10-03-2015, 10:25 AM
They'll quit hiding when they're rutting...