PDA

View Full Version : How many of you would do this....Honestly

Backcountry Hunter
10-01-2015, 06:54 PM
So me and my 2 hunting partners were recently in the Koots chasing elk. On the first day we set out to our favourite spot. We decided to set out a trail camera on a nice little watering hole that looked promising. Now us not being locals we only have a week to get the job done and I guess some local wasn't happy with us in his spot which isn't a very secret spot. This guy beat us into the spot 2 days in a row which is fine we just went elsewhere. The thing is he found our camera and decided to mess with it and turn it sideways. Yes maybe our fault for not locking it and our fault for thinking ppl wouldn't mess with it but I'm interested to here how many ppl would actually do this or how many think it's just a dick move. I guess he was smart enough not to steal it since his truck has a company name on the side of it, "Vast"

Billy52
10-01-2015, 06:58 PM
I've come across a lot of cameras during my hunts. I always just leave them alone. At most I wave "hello" if I happen to be in the frame before I notice it. Lucky they didn't destroy or steal it. Definitely a dick move to screw with it at all.

.330 Dakota
10-01-2015, 07:01 PM
The worse thing I have ever done or ever would do was jump back and forth in front of it making goofy faces a few times,,said happy hunting and left

375shooter
10-01-2015, 07:05 PM
Not your fault in any way. It was a dick move on his part. If it were me, I wouldn't have touched it. Too bad everyone can't leave cameras alone.

scoutlt1
10-01-2015, 07:09 PM
For me it's pretty easy.
I see something in the bush and it was clearly "lost" (a wallet, set of keys, whatever....I'll pick it up and try and find the owner).
If I see something that's clearly there "on purpose" (game cam, truck, quad....), I just pass on by (and yes, maybe give a wave if it's a camera).

Simple stuff. If it's not yours, leave it the f*** alone.

Mulehahn
10-01-2015, 07:22 PM
Total dick move. No need to touch a move a guys camera. Just wave and move on. Only time I ever touched a guys camera was when a buddy and I were hunting just north of PG. Guess this guy thought a dead standing tree would make a good mount. Probably was until a windstorm blew it over and it got caught up. Figured he didn't want a bunch of pics of the ground and didn't want to get crushed if the tree cam down hard. Pulled it, flagged it with tape and walked on. Respect people's property. Only hope you have They may respect yours.

emerson
10-01-2015, 07:28 PM
Many are dicks when no one is watching. On the other hand, I just bumped into a fellow hunter who drew me a map of all his treestands in an area so I could use them whenever. Great fellow named John, thank you sir.

Sofa King
10-01-2015, 07:28 PM
sure its a dick move.
but dont be naiive enough to think everyone is a saint out there.
leaving a cam in a well-known spot is just asking for trouble.

caddisguy
10-01-2015, 07:35 PM
You sure it was him that moved it to the side and not a bear, falling branch etc?

Weird someone would turn a camera sideways. I fail to see the point, but that said, there are some weirdos out there. Only a matter of time before they learn the hard way not to touch other peoples cameras/gear/whatever.

I have been fortunate in not having a camera stolen. I did have one go missing, but it was pretty clear that it was a bear (claw marks all over) ... other than that, running 4-5 cameras year round for almost 2 years and I have only seen 2 people. One was a hiker or hunter and the other more recently was a mushroom picker. Both saw the camera, but neither touched it at all. Both cams were promptly relocated.

Other d*** moves I noticed recently were:

- Starting our hike before first light, jeep parked at the beginning of an overgrown FSR, which we normally walk a little ways before entering the timber. Heard a truck pull up and watched from inside the treeline. The guy sees our jeep, gets out and fires a half dozen shots into the air then peels out. I guess we took "his spot" and he was trying to ruin our hunt.

- Same area, different truck, walking back that evening, two guys trying to look through the dusty soft windows of the jeep. Finally heard us and looked over, we wave and they dash into their truck and take off. Friendly and not suspicious at all eh? Should have waited to see what they would do.

Definitely some strange characters out there.

IslandBC
10-01-2015, 07:42 PM
Never seen a cam in the woods yet , but the day I do see one. You bet I'll be stripping on down and going for a walk by

caddisguy
10-01-2015, 07:48 PM
Never seen a cam in the woods yet , but the day I do see one. You bet I'll be stripping on down and going for a walk by

That would be awesome.

Me and caddisgirl have a whole skit planned out for if we ever encounter a cam. Hopefully it will be on video mode, but I'm sure even some still photos will get the idea. Whoever the lucky camera owner is will get a zillion youtube views I'm certain.

dakoda62
10-01-2015, 07:50 PM
Saw my first cam last weekend, in frame before i noticed, just a wave and a smile.

Mikey Rafiki
10-01-2015, 08:02 PM
I'm assuming you have pictures of them turning the camera around, as I've had elk and bears turn mine 180 degrees on a tree.

Worked with Vast before, know the owner, don't believe he's a hunter. They do forestry for a living so wouldn't surprise me if they were in the bush early for work, but I'm sure you would be able to tell if they were hunting or working in the area.

Barracuda
10-01-2015, 08:13 PM
saw my first cam years back so I stipped nekid and proceeded to do the propeller in front of it .

allegedly(:

Backcountry Hunter
10-01-2015, 08:16 PM
You sure it was him that moved it to the side and not a bear, falling branch etc?

Weird someone would turn a camera sideways. I fail to see the point, but that said, there are some weirdos out there. Only a matter of time before they learn the hard way not to touch other peoples cameras/gear/whatever.

I have been fortunate in not having a camera stolen. I did have one go missing, but it was pretty clear that it was a bear (claw marks all over) ... other than that, running 4-5 cameras year round for almost 2 years and I have only seen 2 people. One was a hiker or hunter and the other more recently was a mushroom picker. Both saw the camera, but neither touched it at all. Both cams were promptly relocated.

Other d*** moves I noticed recently were:

- Starting our hike before first light, jeep parked at the beginning of an overgrown FSR, which we normally walk a little ways before entering the timber. Heard a truck pull up and watched from inside the treeline. The guy sees our jeep, gets out and fires a half dozen shots into the air then peels out. I guess we took "his spot" and he was trying to ruin our hunt.

- Same area, different truck, walking back that evening, two guys trying to look through the dusty soft windows of the jeep. Finally heard us and looked over, we wave and they dash into their truck and take off. Friendly and not suspicious at all eh? Should have waited to see what they would do.

Definitely some strange characters out there.

We are 99 percent sure who it was and when he did it. The cam got him walking up to it then messing with it. The next pick is of a tree. The reason he turned it sideways is it was strapped to a small tree with one right next to it.

Jelvis
10-01-2015, 08:21 PM
I wouldn't mess with any camera period, not my style.
-- Who cares, walk by, could be the game department for all I know --
jeldo -- Local hunters will stand solid for "their hunting grounds" -- your a visitor to them

M.Dean
10-01-2015, 08:30 PM
That would be awesome.

Me and caddisgirl have a whole skit planned out for if we ever encounter a cam. Hopefully it will be on video mode, but I'm sure even some still photos will get the idea. Whoever the lucky camera owner is will get a zillion youtube views I'm certain. Soooo, where bout's you and Miss Caddisgirl like to hunt? Jeeeez, maybe "I" could set up a tree cam or hunt cam what ever cam there called, and you's two could do a little "skit" on my cam!!! No no, forget about it!!! My hearts start'in to race and the blood veins are pop'in out of my face just think'in bout it! What was this thread about anyways?????

Quince
10-01-2015, 09:28 PM
If its not mine, I leave it alone. I use my trail cam on my camp now more than anything, where i grew up trappers shack rules applied, doors open if you need it just dont abuse it. Tried that in new west for a few years, roomate ended up robbing me.

HarryToolips
10-01-2015, 09:36 PM
I've seen lots in the bush, I usually just pull my pants down and take a big fat crap then carry on...

Daybreak
10-01-2015, 09:43 PM
I've seen cams, bait stations and tree stands out the ying yang. In all honesty, I will drape my hat over the cam and have a look around and then take my hat and leave. Never damage or tamper with a thing.

It's surprising how some people will put their equipment in some really obvious and easy to access places.

Wentrot
10-02-2015, 05:09 AM
Dickinson move to touch it. I dream of the day I spot one though for entertainment reasons.

Ride Red
10-02-2015, 06:37 AM
So me and my 2 hunting partners were recently in the Koots chasing elk. On the first day we set out to our favourite spot. We decided to set out a trail camera on a nice little watering hole that looked promising. Now us not being locals we only have a week to get the job done and I guess some local wasn't happy with us in his spot which isn't a very secret spot. This guy beat us into the spot 2 days in a row which is fine we just went elsewhere. The thing is he found our camera and decided to mess with it and turn it sideways. Yes maybe our fault for not locking it and our fault for thinking ppl wouldn't mess with it but I'm interested to here how many ppl would actually do this or how many think it's just a dick move. I guess he was smart enough not to steal it since his truck has a company name on the side of it, "Vast"

Where was your camera? On the way in, pointing to his setup location or on the water hole itself? I don't mess with peoples cameras either, but I sure wouldn't be happy being filmed while I hunt either.

heatherdaddy
10-02-2015, 06:52 AM
That would be awesome.

Me and caddisgirl have a whole skit planned out for if we ever encounter a cam. Hopefully it will be on video mode, but I'm sure even some still photos will get the idea. Whoever the lucky camera owner is will get a zillion youtube views I'm certain.

If you are going to do that I will let you know where my cams are located. LOL

Backcountry Hunter
10-02-2015, 08:35 AM
Where was your camera? On the way in, pointing to his setup location or on the water hole itself? I don't mess with peoples cameras either, but I sure wouldn't be happy being filmed while I hunt either.

It was pointed right at the watering hole. Unless he was to stand in the mud all day it wouldn't bother him

Jagermeister
10-02-2015, 09:14 AM
It's a good whine. Be thankful that your camera is still in one piece or even there for that matter.
Trail cams are a unexpected intrusion on one's life where one usually expects solitude. Try to be a little more discerning when selecting a location.

Spy
10-02-2015, 09:19 AM
Did you get any pics? I had my camera moved sideways by a elk giving it a couple licks. Golden rule is ......... If its not yours, DO NOT TOUCH IT !

Backcountry Hunter
10-02-2015, 09:56 AM
It's a good whine. Be thankful that your camera is still in one piece or even there for that matter.
Trail cams are a unexpected intrusion on one's life where one usually expects solitude. Try to be a little more discerning when selecting a location.

Welcome to the 21st century. If you wanted solitude in the bush you wouldn't be hunting anywhere near the Kootneys

J_T
10-02-2015, 10:00 AM
I'm assuming you have pictures of them turning the camera around, as I've had elk and bears turn mine 180 degrees on a tree.

Worked with Vast before, know the owner, don't believe he's a hunter. They do forestry for a living so wouldn't surprise me if they were in the bush early for work, but I'm sure you would be able to tell if they were hunting or working in the area. I too wondered if it was elk or a human that moved the cam. I use bailing wire to affix my cams to trees now. It hides them better and also the elk aren't able to push them around so much.

Elk just love taking selfies. They lick and push the cam around a lot. Which is ok. A different perspective doesn't always hurt.

I've met some of the hunters with Vast in the bush and they aren't bad guys. Some of them do guide for outfitters in the fall. Who doesn't around here?

wideopenthrottle
10-02-2015, 10:27 AM
if my spot to sit was in view of the camera I might turn it then turn it back when I left but I would just go somewhere else if I saw a camera...why sit in a spot that may have someone drop in on you...

cruiser
10-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Welcome to the 21st century. If you wanted solitude in the bush you wouldn't be hunting anywhere near the Kootneys

Disagree. The woods aren't like shops/stores with surveilance cameras where you accept that you are 'watched'. Sure trail cams are harmless but it is still a bit of a privacy issue. Different guys hunt different ways. If the guy was planning to sit and hunt the area where the camera was pointed he may not want to be recorded. Doesn't sound like it would have been an issue here so yeah a bit of a dick move to leave the cam pointed away when they left the site, but other than wasted time/data no actual harm done either.

But to your question, no I probably wouldn't have done that.

budismyhorse
10-02-2015, 11:06 AM
strong accusations........and to put up the company name?

that's poor taste.

You got beat to a spot.......deal with it or go actually hunt some "backcountry" ;)

Cameras get bumped all the time.......deal with it.

lots of animals bump cameras with human scent on them. If you didn't watch someone turn your camera around.....don't accuse them.

That's the real "dick move" in this thread.

David
10-02-2015, 11:36 AM
First of all, if I come across a camera (or a truck, or an ATV) I always go up and check it out - how long has it been there, is it lost/stolen, etc. etc.

Second of all, if it was pointing at an area I was going to sit and still hunt for a bit - yes, I would turn it away - you left it in the bush and I have no desire to have someone videotaping/photographing my hunt.

I would try to remember to turn it back after I was done, but I wouldn't care too much if I forgot.

Honestly, this whole idea of tree cameras in the woods (public property) being "safe" is idiotic. It's not your private property (land), why would you assume that if someone found your shit lying around they'd leave it alone? Would you leave your personal belongings lying on the side of the road at Main and Hastings? While you can certainly beat the snot out of someone you found messing with your camera, is it even illegal to take it?

Maybe a similar hunting example - if I found "bait", and it was in a place I like - I'd hunt that spot. If I found bait and it wasn't in a place I like I'd have no qualms about taking it and moving it somewhere else, I wouldn't give a crap about who put it there in the first place - they left it out in the wild.

Backcountry Hunter
10-02-2015, 11:37 AM
strong accusations........and to put up the company name?

that's poor taste.

You got beat to a spot.......deal with it or go actually hunt some "backcountry" ;)

Cameras get bumped all the time.......deal with it.

lots of animals bump cameras with human scent on them. If you didn't watch someone turn your camera around.....don't accuse them.

That's the real "dick move" in this thread.

First of all I didn't do a damn thing wrong by putting up a camera on a watering hole. 2nd of all it wasn't "bumped" by an animal. Pretty hard to wedge a camera between 2 trees with hooves. And I really couldn't care less that he was in there before me. It helped lead us to our bull anyways. The reason for posting was to see how many out there find this an ok act in case I missed something and so far everyone agrees. Dick move. If it's not yours don't touch it. Plain and simple. Maybe try having some respect for your fellow Hunter. Instead everyone turns this passion into some kind of competitive sport just because some guys from the coast ended up finding your not so secret honey hole. Deal with it

caddisguy
10-02-2015, 12:02 PM
Honestly, this whole idea of tree cameras in the woods (public property) being "safe" is idiotic. It's not your private property (land), why would you assume that if someone found your shit lying around they'd leave it alone? Would you leave your personal belongings lying on the side of the road at Main and Hastings? While you can certainly beat the snot out of someone you found messing with your camera, is it even illegal to take it?.

It is illegal to take or damage a camera whether it is in public or not. It's still vandalism, mischief, stolen property, interfering with a hunt, etc. This has been established in previous threads and relevant laws cited.

Leaving something in public does not make it fair game/legal to take. Leaving something of value on main/hastings, I would not except it to be there, as the area is infested with criminals. I would like to think that there are less criminals in the bush, but that seems to be arguable these days.

If you camp on crown land, you probably leave items (probably tent, truck, axe, cooler, firewood) around and it's in a "public place". By your analogy, that means I can help myself to whatever is in your cooler, maybe move your tent to a different place because that's where I want to put my tent. Heck maybe I'll tow your truck out of the way if it blocks my view. And golly if I find me an ATV that someone left "out in the wild", maybe I'll just take that too because I could really use me one of them!! :)

I don't think anyone here "assumes" people will leave your stuff alone, but the reality is that people *should* leave other peoples property alone. I agree covering up a camera temporarily would fall within the ethics of most if you actually wanted/needed to hunt directly in front of said camera, but that scenario seems a bit far fetched. Forget to uncover it though? Well if you're that forgetful about something that was such a big deal, you probably shouldn't be hunting or operating a firearm.

Husky7mm
10-02-2015, 12:06 PM
For me it's pretty easy.
I see something in the bush and it was clearly "lost" (a wallet, set of keys, whatever....I'll pick it up and try and find the owner).
If I see something that's clearly there "on purpose" (game cam, truck, quad....), I just pass on by (and yes, maybe give a wave if it's a camera).

Simple stuff. If it's not yours, leave it the f*** alone.

I Agree!!!! Its beyond me that somepeople think I can touch other peoples things.

To the OP, i have had elk and bears turn my cams many times. Also vast is a forestry company so they may have been working.

Backcountry Hunter
10-02-2015, 12:11 PM
It is illegal to take or damage a camera whether it is in public or not. It's still vandalism, mischief, stolen property, interfering with a hunt, etc. This has been established in previous threads and relevant laws cited.

Leaving something in public does not make it fair game/legal to take. Leaving something of value on main/hastings, I would not except it to be there, as the area is infested with criminals. I would like to think that there are less criminals in the bush, but that seems to be arguable these days.

If you camp on crown land, you probably leave items (probably tent, truck, axe, cooler, firewood) around and it's in a "public place". By your analogy, that means I can help myself to whatever is in your cooler, maybe move your tent to a different place because that's where I want to put my tent. Heck maybe I'll tow your truck out of the way if it blocks my view. And golly if I find me an ATV that someone left "out in the wild", maybe I'll just take that too because I could really use me one of them!! :)

I don't think anyone here "assumes" people will leave your stuff alone, but the reality is that people *should* leave other peoples property alone. I agree covering up a camera temporarily would fall within the ethics of most if you actually wanted/needed to hunt directly in front of said camera, but that scenario seems a bit far fetched. Forget to uncover it though? Well if you're that forgetful about something that was such a big deal, you probably shouldn't be hunting or operating a firearm.

Well said!

Thespydr
10-02-2015, 12:16 PM
We're on camera every minute of everyday - the bush was the last place where you were away from prying eyes and frankly I'm tired of it. Can't even take a dump anymore without making sure you're not on tape by some guy's cam - damn rights I would move it while I'm there cause it's nunya.

Nunyaf'in business what I'm doing out there.... Guy probably couldn't even take a proper p*ss without your game cam watchin'. Keep your technology at home and keep hunting pure, using a game cam is no better than using bait - do it old school and work for it.

And if i ever see a drone i'll guage it out of the sky like a clay pigeon...

BAM

Husky7mm
10-02-2015, 12:19 PM
First of all, if I come across a camera (or a truck, or an ATV) I always go up and check it out - how long has it been there, is it lost/stolen, etc. etc.

Second of all, if it was pointing at an area I was going to sit and still hunt for a bit - yes, I would turn it away - you left it in the bush and I have no desire to have someone videotaping/photographing my hunt.

I would try to remember to turn it back after I was done, but I wouldn't care too much if I forgot.

Honestly, this whole idea of tree cameras in the woods (public property) being "safe" is idiotic. It's not your private property (land), why would you assume that if someone found your shit lying around they'd leave it alone? Would you leave your personal belongings lying on the side of the road at Main and Hastings? While you can certainly beat the snot out of someone you found messing with your camera, is it even illegal to take it?

Maybe a similar hunting example - if I found "bait", and it was in a place I like - I'd hunt that spot. If I found bait and it wasn't in a place I like I'd have no qualms about taking it and moving it somewhere else, I wouldn't give a crap about who put it there in the first place - they left it out in the wild.

This is a piss pour attitude. I am embarrassed for you.

caddisguy
10-02-2015, 12:31 PM
We're on camera every minute of everyday - the bush was the last place where you were away from prying eyes and frankly I'm tired of it. Can't even take a dump anymore without making sure you're not on tape by some guy's cam - damn rights I would move it while I'm there cause it's nunya.

Nunyaf'in business what I'm doing out there.... Guy probably couldn't even take a proper p*ss without your game cam watchin'. Keep your technology at home and keep hunting pure, using a game cam is no better than using bait - do it old school and work for it.

BAM

I hope you don't own any binoculars... trailcams generally only see 15-30 feet on average, but binoculars can see a hunter taking a #2 a few kilometers away. If you are worried about privacy, optics are more invasive.

You think seeing a deer that passed by a trailcam days prior really gives an advantage? Got a scope? Rangefinder? Rain gear? ATV? Headlamp? Well then I hope you leave all that stuff at home too, because all those things give a much greater advantage than any trailcam.

Barracuda
10-02-2015, 12:45 PM
the difference is that a pair of binos cannot operate without a user and they take manpower in order to witness something . A game cam is unmanned surveillance and many people consider it is rather Orwellian . To say it doesn't help hunters is absurd or else hunters wouldnt use them (they are a huge advantage as they tell you time place and activity of all that pass or don't pass and that allows you to determine patterns ,game density and strategic plans) .

caddisguy
10-02-2015, 01:14 PM
the difference is that a pair of binos cannot operate without a user and they take manpower in order to witness something . A game cam is unmanned surveillance and many people consider it is rather Orwellian . To say it doesn't help hunters is absurd or else hunters wouldnt use them (they are a huge advantage as they tell you time place and activity of all that pass or don't pass and that allows you to determine patterns ,game density and strategic plans) .

I have dozens (maybe 30?) hours worth of videos from the last year alone. There is no pattern to any of the activity what so ever. An animal might visit a couple days in a row or go on a week/month long hiatus. All a trailcam can confirm that an animal was in the area. It's not like it will show up every day at 9am and 6pm, approaching from one direction and leaving in another. Hunting the areas around my cameras, I haven't ever seen an animal that was on said cam, but I have seen plenty of other animals that were not on the cam. Game density can be more easily determined by going for a short walk, looking at tracks/poop/rubs/etc and glassing. Patterns and strategic plans? Good luck with that. If I had to choose between a trailcam and a headlamp for gear, I'd sure as heck take the headlamp as it is much more useful. It can get me into my spot before first light.

Trailcams are fairly useless for hunting, but very cool because they offer unique wildlife viewing/filming opportunities whether it's making a time-lapse video of a fawn growing up, a cougar coming in and sniffing where a doe was laying or a compilation of bears playing around with the cameras. It's a year round hobby that many enjoy. Legal and fun, don't like it, too bad.

Advantage? It is possible but slight compared to flashlights, gor-tex, range finder, binos, etc. Not every animal in an area is going to visit the trailcam. 99.5% probably won't at all. You will generally see more animals in 1 day of glassing than 30 days of trailcam footage so anyone thinking cams give an unfair advantage better give up the binos.

Orwellian? Well if anyone really thinks that, my advice to them is that the New World Order is after us, slowly taking over the woods with trailcams. Yet somehow I have managed to hike well over 300km in the last two seasons, crossing paths with a whopping total of 1 camera. I sure hope they aren't reading our thoughts right now or this thread will go into the memory hole. The world must be a very scary place for those people. If anyone wants to stay home and hide because they think the bush is infested with cameras behind every stump and tree, that's ok too :)

fuzzy 63
10-02-2015, 04:06 PM
hi all . here is a simple way to avoid painting someone with a brush and the mess that it will bring . somewhat covert perhaps but if it was me I would set up another camera to watch my obvious camera . the perpetrator would very likely make the assumption the the camera is singular, and the covert camera would then allow you make conclusive findings instead of conjecture about the facts .
I am of the opinion that it is probable that 90 % of the people in the woods are honest and sincere . The other 10 % were born a -holes and nothing is going to change that .
You have to ask yourself '' Is the boy you where proud of the man you have become '' . If you can answer yes to that question then you are living your life right

Cliff

Wentrot
10-02-2015, 05:26 PM

Bull teat. I have several out year round and haven't shot a thing at the camera locations. It's another reason to get outside and see what's around.

bpshooter
10-02-2015, 06:38 PM
I wouldn't touch one but some ahole grabbed mine and ran with it really pissed me next time i'll have another one watching the main one

fuzzy 63
10-02-2015, 06:46 PM
seems like a solution to find out what is happening . kind of extreme , but it is how my fishing friends found out who was stealing at the boat launch . sadly the hills do have eyes !

Barracuda
10-02-2015, 08:20 PM
I have dozens (maybe 30?) hours worth of videos from the last year alone. There is no pattern to any of the activity what so ever. An animal might visit a couple days in a row or go on a week/month long hiatus. All a trailcam can confirm that an animal was in the area. It's not like it will show up every day at 9am and 6pm, approaching from one direction and leaving in another. Hunting the areas around my cameras, I haven't ever seen an animal that was on said cam, but I have seen plenty of other animals that were not on the cam. Game density can be more easily determined by going for a short walk, looking at tracks/poop/rubs/etc and glassing. Patterns and strategic plans? Good luck with that. If I had to choose between a trailcam and a headlamp for gear, I'd sure as heck take the headlamp as it is much more useful. It can get me into my spot before first light.

Trailcams are fairly useless for hunting, but very cool because they offer unique wildlife viewing/filming opportunities whether it's making a time-lapse video of a fawn growing up, a cougar coming in and sniffing where a doe was laying or a compilation of bears playing around with the cameras. It's a year round hobby that many enjoy. Legal and fun, don't like it, too bad.

Advantage? It is possible but slight compared to flashlights, gor-tex, range finder, binos, etc. Not every animal in an area is going to visit the trailcam. 99.5% probably won't at all. You will generally see more animals in 1 day of glassing than 30 days of trailcam footage so anyone thinking cams give an unfair advantage better give up the binos.

Orwellian? Well if anyone really thinks that, my advice to them is that the New World Order is after us, slowly taking over the woods with trailcams. Yet somehow I have managed to hike well over 300km in the last two seasons, crossing paths with a whopping total of 1 camera. I sure hope they aren't reading our thoughts right now or this thread will go into the memory hole. The world must be a very scary place for those people. If anyone wants to stay home and hide because they think the bush is infested with cameras behind every stump and tree, that's ok too :)

why do you suppose trail cams are used by F&W, sportsmen and others (Myself included ) They do exactly as I said and I really don't know how you could try to say they don't . When I put out a lick guess what I get animals showing up, when I watch a game trail I get to see if they are nocturnal or diurnal and how many over a set period of time . To say you havn't taken an animal exactly where the camera is seems rather far fetched because they are in the same range as the animal species your after then yes you have taken an animal in the same area.

People that say it has no influence on hunting probably say they get playboy for the articles .

don't like the advantage of using a game cam then don't use one but don't try to say it isn't an advantage :lol:

IslandBC
10-02-2015, 09:02 PM

BAM

Its illegal to use a Drone for hunting and scouting.. its legal to use a trail cam..
Trail cams are a great way to see whats in the area. We are not hunting in this 1980's. A trail cam is one of many items almost every hunter has in his or her arsenal. To take or disrupt someones personal equipment is unethical. You dont just go on google maps and turn on your cam. It takes a ton of scouting and effort just to find a decent area to set up your cam, then to go back every few weeks to swap SD cards and batteries, then form a game plan to hunt that area. Thats a TON of work. More work then it took for someone to wonder by and steal steal it. Dont like the new age of hunting? stay home.

caddisguy
10-02-2015, 09:25 PM
People that say it has no influence on hunting probably say they get playboy for the articles .
don't like the advantage of using a game cam then don't use one but don't try to say it isn't an advantage :lol:

I'll give you advantage, but not more advantage than optics or warm socks. It's ok we have different opinions. Heck we might just have different experiences due to different animal species and different habitat. The only thing for certain is the above quote was down right hilarious. Good job on that, this thread needed some humor and you delivered!

I'm off for a week long hunt. Will probably check in here at some point. You guys are all awesome (except cam thieves those guys aren't worthy of being coyote bait!!) ... happy hunting!!!

Treed
10-03-2015, 12:27 AM
The difference between optics and a trail cam is time. Time in the bush versus time sitting on your as.s. The reason we use trail cams at work is so we don't have to have people in the bush. The reason I don't use trail cams for hunting is cause I want to be in the bush. If the didn't let us estimate population size, figure out travel corridors, etc. we wouldn't spend our clients money putting them out and they wouldn't pay for it. Argue about if they are Orwellian or not, but don't tell me they are the same as binos or corrective lenses. Crap, given that logic we should all be using pointy sticks and nothing else .... Actually not a bad idea but the logic is still illogical.

Tomanik2700
10-04-2015, 02:03 PM
Sounds like you ran into a prick, happens to all of us. At least no real damage was sustained.

J_06
10-04-2015, 09:18 PM

Well with that thinking I guess anytime I go goat hunting my truck should be fair game too thieves and vandals because I "left out in the wild"? Camera, bait, trucks, quads, camps it's all the same. Not yours, don't touch it. I don't know about your folks, but mine would be embarrassed if they instilled an attitude like that in their child. Did they not teach you any respect? I can only I magine how carefree hunting could be if you didn't have too worry your belongings being around people like you.

ufishifish2
10-06-2015, 09:33 PM
Wow. Can't believe all the saints on here. Good on you all.
I found a camera this spring that I had passed on numerous occasions before discovering it.
I left it alone at first but later got to thinking that it kinda seemed like an invasion of my privacy. Not even the woods are sacred anymore.
To each their own, but I ended up grabbing the SD card out of it and deleting all the pics of myself off the card.
I truly planned the return the card, but time passed by and I never ended up returning it.
Atleast they still have their camera.

Backcountry Hunter
10-07-2015, 11:49 AM
What I love from this is to see there is still a lot of decent humans out there. I find it funny all this "new age" hunting talk. I'll bet none of you are out there with an gun from 1942. Or Binos your great grandfather gave you. It's just how 2015 is. It was my first time using a camera and it had no help in finding the bull we shot anyways. I also love how as soon as someone posts a trail cam video or pics on this site you all find it so great and say good job but in a situation like this it's an invasion. What are you hiding that a pic of you walking by offends you. If I ever see one I'll be doing something funny on it to give the guy a good laugh when he checks it. Just my thoughts.