PDA

View Full Version : midday alpine

chrismcd
10-01-2015, 11:02 AM
Hey I'm currently sitting on the top of a mountain. I saw 2 deer right at daylight but were in the trees before I could get a good view .Then I saw another 4 does at around 730 lost track of them at 830 and havnt seen anything since.
My question is: how should I spend my afternoon .are there deer still here or are they in the woods for the mid day heat? Should I keep glassing or take a nap is basically my dillema .

tenrag
10-01-2015, 11:09 AM
how about you check out the "bear attacks kayak" post in mainland and have a nap. Don't turn the volume too loud as the whiny lady might sound like an animal in distress and attract some bears for your upcoming nap.

Any day sitting on the side of a mountain is better than sitting on the couch or truck!
Good Luck!

jessonml
10-01-2015, 11:19 AM
They aren't necessarily "in the trees" but, more likely, in bedding areas that have protection and, since it is sunny today, they can use the thermals (air moving up the slope) to catch wind of danger from below. I have located and stalked deer near the tops of steep slopes with cover in the alpine mid-day many times. Get above them and use the thermals to your advantage.

chrismcd
10-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Hahaha that was some funny stuff. It's not even food. Lol. That was good. Well off too fond a nice soft shrub to nap on .

BigfishCanada
10-01-2015, 11:25 AM
I would look for revines and walk down them, walking the forest all you will see are their asses running, so i like the ravine ideas based on them running into open spots to get a shot. Another option would be to glass, glass and glass again, maybe you will see one sleeping under a tree you can get a stalk on

tenrag
10-01-2015, 11:31 AM
On a serious note, during the mid day i walk the ridge lines and glass until my eyes are sore! Sometimes a wonder the timber trying to spook them from a bedding area. If you are near a creek bed dont stray too far into the timber because the deer will often hide just inside to be close for the evening drink/graze.

frenchbar
10-01-2015, 11:34 AM
They aren't necessarily "in the trees" but, more likely, in bedding areas that have protection and, since it is sunny today, they can use the thermals (air moving up the slope) to catch wind of danger from below. I have located and stalked deer near the tops of steep slopes with cover in the alpine mid-day many times. Get above them and use the thermals to your advantage.

Follow this guys advise

hickman
10-01-2015, 12:40 PM
Going alpine this weekend into an area where I saw bucks before. They tend to come out of their bedding areas on steep, thick slopes into more open areas that have willows and feed and warm up until sometimes 9 or 10AM. Depends on the weather. They do not bed down far from where they feed. Definitely stalk from above and look down on them. They don't seem to look uphill that much.

Brno22F
10-01-2015, 12:51 PM
I thought this was the Hunting BC forum, Not Cash Cab. You cannot call a friend to help you get the right answer. Keep looking and keep hunting.

Brizz
10-01-2015, 01:57 PM
When you guys say 'alpine' - how high (elevation) are we talking?

monasheemountainman
10-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Ya this is weird. Put your phone away and hunt

swampthing
10-01-2015, 05:51 PM
Glass glass glass. Look for deer bedded right behind trees at treeline. As said, stay above and try to find good vantage points.

Islandeer
10-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Ya this is weird. Put your phone away and hunt

Yup

leave the phone alone ...

SuperYeti
10-01-2015, 08:00 PM
He's crowd-hunting... lol

M.Dean
10-01-2015, 08:19 PM
Every day I go hunting I ride my quad to the exact spot where my Grand Son got his WT buck a few weeks ago, and it blows me away every time I look in there! And just like some guys have already said, these bucks were in a little coolie for a better name, it's a small valley type area, the hills on either side area about 20 or 30 feet high, but on a gradual slope, and the dead popular tree's and thick brush make walking in there dam near impossible!And lots of big, thick timber help keep it shaded real good. And, what I think is the main reason they go to lay down in there is it's shaded dam near all day, so it's nice and cool, and as I found out, it's a great place for the deer to hide in during the day. The buck Kato got stayed stock still even after his bigger buddy got up and bolted, and even at 30 or so yards, if I didn't use my bino's to see if that was horn I was looking at or a dead old tree branch, I'd bet that buck would have stayed hidden until we drove away on the quads. So, if I was sitting some where in the mid day, I think I'd be looking very closely(with bino's!) at valley bottoms with the thickest, shadiest, most knarlest brush know to man! And, I hope you pack a small chain saw in your day pack to cut a bloody trail to get the buck out! Good Luck out there!

Looking_4_Jerky
10-01-2015, 08:51 PM
Good on you for using technology to make the rest of your hunt better! If someone's looking for advice that they didn't know they would need before they left, why not ask while you're out there? I was at work today and my buddy texted me asking me to send him a PDF map that he could use after he was out of cell phone range. I created the map and sent it his way. He then used it to make a connection to a different road network than he came up on, and it worked like a charm.

As others have said, it seems relatively uncommon (in my somewhat limited experience and knowledge of alpine hunting) to find deer up and at it in the alpine mid day, so it is a great time to glass and glass and glass some more. Having said that, deer seldom bed all day long, and at very least are likely to get up and take a few steps before hunkering down again until dusk. In either case, you will want to use your midday to glass and travel to areas where you can glass new country. With any luck, you will then be able to spend your primetimes scoping areas where you're confident some deer are going to show up eventually.

chrismcd
10-01-2015, 10:31 PM
Thanks those that helped. Didn't end up seeing anything for the rest of the day but was a nice day to be out
Too those that said put my phone down and stop asking questions. : do you understand this is a forum . They are for sharing information. Basic internet stuff . And pulling out my phone was way less of an issue than the 5 a tv's that came up the mountain right before I pulled it out while eating lunch .
My other option was take my complete lack of knowledge and pretend I don't have internet access too a bunch of hunters who are on a website for sharing hunting info .

khoffnbud
10-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Thanks those that helped. Didn't end up seeing anything for the rest of the day but was a nice day to be out
Too those that said put my phone down and stop asking questions. : do you understand this is a forum . They are for sharing information. Basic internet stuff . And pulling out my phone was way less of an issue than the 5 a tv's that came up the mountain right before I pulled it out while eating lunch .
My other option was take my complete lack of knowledge and pretend I don't have internet access too a bunch of hunters who are on a website for sharing hunting info .

do whatever you want, but I think the majority of us go into the woods to get way form society and technology, and what happened to figuring stuff out for yourself? Everybody these days just wants to be given the answer without any work.