PDA

View Full Version : Roosie Camp Question?

cassiarkid
09-30-2015, 01:00 PM
A fellow hunter on the VI Forum asked a question about where to put his camp on his Roosie Draw. That got me thinking about my upcoming late draw in 1-10C for Elk. we are going to be bringing a Ford 4x4 duallie with a camper on top. So we can basically camp where ever we can get the truck to. We will then we using the quads to get around to the different areas we plan to hunt. My question is this.....has anyone had any issues with theft or vandalism of their camp in the Campbell River 1-10c area. Not sure if it would be better to camp with others or try to go into the back and be alone? Should I be thinking, safety in numbers or out of sight out of mind??

Cheers

Salty
09-30-2015, 01:42 PM
South of my stomping grounds but I know camping in general and hunting is popular around CR and I'm not aware of any theft issues down there. Personally I wouldn't think twice at camping at any rec site or just out in the bush in the area probably not right on a mainline though I don't like doing that anywhere. I just think about the odd chance of pissed up joy riders around that you'd rather not meet and that's where they'll be.

09-30-2015, 01:46 PM
i would not worry,,,, for 2 reasons.....

1) worrying about something you ultimatly have no controle over can ruin a super awesome trip like a rosie draw...... Hunt the Facken tag and enjoy it,,, dont go out hunting and dream up a bunch of shitty "might happens" ok?
2) i have never heard about theft in the back country online or otherwise....

now even if 20 people jumped on here and called me an idiot for saying that.... there are a tone of people going out there and dont have problems....
no one in my circle of friends have had problems.

Trapper34
09-30-2015, 02:53 PM
pretty safe place to camp. shouldn't have any worries

cassiarkid
09-30-2015, 03:35 PM
Well, the sediment of the comments make me feel a lot better, I'll be dreaming of the that Roosie meat I'll be bringing home!!

09-30-2015, 03:37 PM
Screw the meat go fer horns!!!!
lol...

Good luck man, the meat is awesome. Have a good trip and forget about all the crap... just dont forget the rain gear ok?

cassiarkid
09-30-2015, 04:10 PM
I've shot some pretty nice Rocky's, going to be interesting to see if I notice the difference in body size.....should I get lucky enough to see one up close and personal!!:lol:

Salty
09-30-2015, 05:03 PM
The cows are no big deal but the first few times I saw a good sized bull when I moved to the island my first instincts were WTF I didn't think there were moose here and big'ns?! lol. Best of luck cassiar.

Keta1969
09-30-2015, 05:21 PM
Hunt of a lifetime for sure.Over the years have left my truck for long periods of time from Kelsey Bay to Comox and over to Gold River area and never had problems. Good Luck

ACE
09-30-2015, 05:32 PM
Screw the meat go fer horns!!!!
lol...

Good luck man, the meat is awesome. Have a good trip and forget about all the crap... just dont forget the rain gear ok?

You've won the sweepstake LEH tag ..... do yourself a favor, and as 835 suggests, look for horn.
You should be OK for camping in the area. Just do as you would anywhere else ..... just normal precautions.
Have fun, and ....... it never rains on Vancouver Island. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

cassiarkid
09-30-2015, 05:42 PM
I lived in Nanaimo for a few years, so I KNOW it never rains on the Island...LOL!! Only hunted those elusive blacktails, around the Nanaimo Lakes area. I did see more Elk than deer, while I was there in the mid '90's.
I have a few friends who have hunted in the 1-10C area, and they said the same......"Do not shoot the first bull you see' cause you should see a bunch!!" They said if I am patient, I should come out with something nice. Something with crown points would do me fine!!

islander7mm
09-30-2015, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=835;1691710]i would not worry,,,, for 2 reasons.....

1) worrying about something you ultimatly have no controle over can ruin a super awesome trip like a rosie draw...... Hunt the Facken tag and enjoy it,,, dont go out hunting and dream up a bunch of shitty "might happens" ok?
2) i have never heard about theft in the back country online or otherwise....

now even if 20 people jumped on here and called me an idiot for saying that.... there are a tone of people going out there and dont have problems....
no one in my circle of friends have had problems.[/QUOTE

X2 on this one ^^^^^^^^^

The best advice I ever got on my Rosie hunt was to just enjoy the hunt. It's a one in a lifetime event (for most) so enjoy every minute and don't stress.