PDA

View Full Version : Fish finder decision. GPS vs screen size

andrewscag
09-30-2015, 11:46 AM
I'm choosing between a lowrance elite 4 HDI which has GPS with Canadian maps but a 3.5" screen or a garmin echo 551 dv which has no gps but a 5" screen. I'm leaning towards the garmin because I've never seen much need for GPS in my finder and it sounds like a bit better performer. But I've never had it either. How often do you guys use it and is it a must have feature for a guy with a smart phone and handheld gps?

GotaGun
09-30-2015, 12:15 PM
Gps if you are going of the coast 20 miles and can't see land.
If on lakes and rivers I'd say no. Get bigger screen.
Also if you want just carry hand held GPS

coach
09-30-2015, 12:21 PM
I have the lowrance 4x HDI and love it. Small screen isn't a big issue as you get used to it quickly. My buddy has a humminbird and has had no ne of issues. Can't comment on the Garmin..

knockturnal
09-30-2015, 05:40 PM
I had an HDS 5x and sold it to get an HDS7. I never thought I'd use the gps as much as I do and I'll never go back to a unit without it.

Sofa King
09-30-2015, 06:21 PM
get the lowrance and be done with it.
never scrimp on features.
you may think you don't need it, but you'll find you use it all the time.

andrewscag
09-30-2015, 07:18 PM
What do you use it for knockturnal? Obviously foggy days and marking crab pots, but do you use it much to mark bait balls or bottom structure?

I agree with not scrimping on features, but screen size can also be considered a feature

GoodPartner
09-30-2015, 07:48 PM
In my first boat I was using a fish finder and a lap top for gps. Not a very functional system. A phone is obviously better but what if you forget it at home, the battery dies, you drop it overboard etc? Two pieces of equipment versus one increase the chances of something going wrong.

After a while I upgraded to lowrance Elite 5 and it made a huge difference to how I fish (primarily trolling for salmon but also bottom fishing). To me what is the point of have a bigger screen if you are needing to look at two pieces of equipment constantly? Using a split screen helped me dial in my tacks and that alone improved my fishing knowledge drastically in my spots. Like others have said here it is something I use all the time.

I guess it depends on where/how you fish but I would definately choose increased function over a marginal increase in quality (I can't speak to the specifics of either unit).

Sofa King
09-30-2015, 08:01 PM
What do you use it for knockturnal? Obviously foggy days and marking crab pots, but do you use it much to mark bait balls or bottom structure?

I agree with not scrimping on features, but screen size can also be considered a feature

but not a half inch difference.
a jump to 7 is a difference, and I'd recommend at least a 7 for any half-decent sized boat.

bang flop
10-01-2015, 07:50 AM
Get GPS if on ocean

BRvalley
10-01-2015, 07:52 AM
what size boat and style of fishing are you into?

GPS is a game changer feature IMO but that really depends on your style of fishing and type of water you fish most often, but a 3.5" screen would drive me nuts

I'd personally go with the garmin, out of those two options....a smart phone with the navionics app is a cheap and effective solution for marking spots and recording tracks

Weatherby Fan
10-01-2015, 08:01 AM
Having the GPS is a great option, especially on the ocean, Its nice when you are fishing to have the ability to split screen with sounder/maps, we keep the tracking or trails option on so if you pass over a bait ball and get out of it you can at least run back and follow your track line back to see if you can relocate, also for those that are geographically challenged or you encounter unwanted fog you can at least follow your track line to your home base !

Or with the GPS you can mark favorite spots with icons and return to them quite easily, I would highly recommend the GPS option, may save your ass one day !

OOBuck
10-01-2015, 08:06 AM
If your using it on the ocean GPS is a must, scary running in in thick fog off the west coast. I look at the Lowrance stuff and the "gold" chip that comes with the newer units. I Halibut fish quit a bit and currently
have a Garmin 10" full radar set up as my main. My go to is my hummimngbird for bottom topography way more lines on the gold chip almost double, like Lowrance USE to be..

andrewscag
10-01-2015, 09:24 AM
Thanks guy! I'll give the Lowrance a go. I mostly fish an hour or so out of Langley so local rivers out into the salt a bit. Nothing too far from shore and I always bring the hand held gps if theres a chance that the weather might turn. Sounds like an integrated GPS is a useful feature though so I'll go that direction.

I'm linked the kicker to the main steering in my old 17' Glasply so I'll be pretty close to the finder when trolling for salmon so screen size should be ok. If I end up keeping the boat long term I'll likely go up to a much bigger screen. This should do the job much better than the 20 year old hummingbird that's on it now!

andrewscag
10-03-2015, 08:57 AM
I'll update the thread if anyone wants a review of the Lowrance elite 4 chirp once I get it installed later today. Respond if you want or I won't bother.