PDA

View Full Version : Who wears blaze orange?

ajr5406
09-30-2015, 09:04 AM
While hunting busy areas (ie: Reg 2 and 3), who wears blaze orange? Seems like a bit of a controversial topic, but I would way prefer to look like a tool and be safe. Not really looking for pro's and cons (I know it would be detrimental in hunting situations), just an idea of how common it is?

Thoughts???

chris
09-30-2015, 09:12 AM
I never have but have been considering it in a couple of the busy spots I hunt

Mulehahn
09-30-2015, 09:17 AM
I don't while actively hunting, but do once I have an animal down. I worry more that someone will see a patch of hair, or the antlers at shoot at those then just a noise I may of made.

Gateholio
09-30-2015, 09:26 AM
It's not common. I've seen a couple of guys with orange toques or hats, but nothing like what you see with eastern hunters.

Gr8 white hunter
09-30-2015, 09:29 AM
I think that they should make it mandatory judging by all the new hunters out there that were never properly trained by there elders.

sakohunter
09-30-2015, 09:38 AM
I wear blaze when people are around and while I am traveling in open country or on a tree line. If I settle down in the thick stuff or away from people i'll take it off. Also my kids always wear blaze while in the bush hunting or not.

My buddy and I were hunting a large clear cut for moose a few years ago, we had are truck parked at the entrance to the cut so other hunters new we were there. Right before dusk this truck pulls into the middle of the cut and two hunter got out and started scanning the cut with their scopes. I was watching the other hunters through my binos and when they started looking in my direction I hit the deck, and pulled on my blaze orange then carefully got up when it was safe. I looked across the cut to where my buddy was and he had put his blaze on as well. Without any optics I could see my hunting partner way across the clear cut, and so did the other hunters, and they left.

It was a scary situation when you see someone looking at you with a loaded rifle through a scope. I believe that blaze orange took away an indecision from those other hunters with or without optics.

ajr5406
09-30-2015, 09:43 AM
Scary... Sounds like a VERY good argument for wearing orange.

I wear blaze when people are around and while I am traveling in open country or on a tree line. If I settle down in the thick stuff or away from people i'll take it off. Also my kids always wear blaze while in the bush hunting or not.

My buddy and I were hunting a large clear cut for moose a few years ago, we had are truck parked at the entrance to the cut so other hunters new we were there. Right before dusk this truck pulls into the middle of the cut and two hunter got out and started scanning the cut with their scopes. I was watching the other hunters through my binos and when they started looking in my direction I hit the deck, and pulled on my blaze orange then carefully got up when it was safe. I looked across the cut to where my buddy was and he had put his blaze on as well. Without any optics I could see my hunting partner way across the clear cut, and so did the other hunters, and they left.

It was a scary situation when you see someone looking at you with a loaded rifle through a scope. I believe that blaze orange took away an indecision from those other hunters with or without optics.

limit time
09-30-2015, 09:55 AM
no no no no no !!

limit time
09-30-2015, 09:57 AM
Scary... Sounds like a VERY good argument for wearing orange.

Are you pushing for it ? Wearing orange or any other bright colour won't stop a person from "scoping" you.

ruger#1
09-30-2015, 09:58 AM
no no no no no !! Same here. They also scope you in blaze orange.

skibum
09-30-2015, 09:59 AM
I think that they should make it mandatory judging by all the new hunters out there that were never properly trained by there elders.

lot more hunting accidents back in the 70's and early 80's. New hunters are a lot more safer than they use to be

skibum
09-30-2015, 10:00 AM
Orange hat if I plan on sitting somewhere close to road access.

Should probably just block the road though

Zedbra
09-30-2015, 10:03 AM
Orange hat if I plan on sitting somewhere close to road access.

I do the same.

Salty
09-30-2015, 10:11 AM
I keep an orange safety vest in my pack to wear coming out with antlers strapped to my pack. Otherwise no don't wear any blaze orange.

wideopenthrottle
09-30-2015, 10:14 AM
I once got a bit of grief from someone when I suggested that one of the good things with LEH areas is that it forces us hunters to really be 100 % sure of what we are shooting...it reduces the potential for careless idiots that would shoot at "anything that moves"..it seems overall we are safer than 20 yrs ago (for other reasons as well)
http://www.ihea.com/news-and-events/news/incident-reports?id=147

sakohunter
09-30-2015, 10:31 AM
No, I agree that people will scope you if you are wearing blaze. It is a scary problem, and I don't think that it will ever stop happening. I have never seen a live Moose or Deer with blaze orange on, so wearing blaze orange gives the people scoping you a moment of pause to solve the problem in their brain. Hypothetically.....

"Question" Is it a little moose with blaze orange on or a person, I don't know I will take a better look with my safety on? or the alternative "Question" What is that dark shape across the cut I not sure lets look at it with my scope and then decide because I don't know, but my safety is off. Bang OOPS

It is not a funny problem and I strongly believe that being seen as a clearly visible human may save your life. You should never use your scope to identify things! Hunters in a perfect world should, see movement with their eyes, then use binoculars or spotting scope if required to identify what they have seen moving, then use a rifle scope to shoot clearly identified legal game animals. Safe hunting practices is so important!

Salty
09-30-2015, 10:41 AM
I don't know where you guys are getting this scoping the cut with a scoped rifle looking for game thing from that's something I just don't see any more, hunters I run in to these days pretty much all have binos around their neck. 30 yrs ago, yes it was a problem. Just thinking here in the last 10 years of all the hunters I've ran in to I've seen one scoping deer behind a fence (no hunting signs) in a huge field with a rifle. Haven't seen anyone else looking at or for game with a rifle unless they were trying to shoot one.

ajr5406
09-30-2015, 10:44 AM
No, not pushing for it, just curious to see what people do... Im a new hunter and want to be as safe as possible.

Are you pushing for it ? Wearing orange or any other bright colour won't stop a person from "scoping" you.

sakohunter
09-30-2015, 10:47 AM
I don't know where you guys are getting this scoping the cut with a scoped rifle looking for game thing from that's something I just don't see any more hunters, I run in to these days pretty much all have binos around their neck. 30 yrs ago, yes it was a problem. Just thinking here in the last 10 years of all the hunters I've ran in to I've seen one scoping deer behind a fence (no hunting signs) in a huge field with a rifle. Haven't seen anyone else looking at or for game with a rifle unless they were trying to shoot one.

I wish it was the thing of the past, but we know its not. I get this info from personal experience of watching someone scope me. The more we talk about hunter safety, the better the chances of people using the proper optics at the right time will take place.

Glenny
09-30-2015, 11:01 AM
I keep an orange safety vest in my pack to wear coming out with antlers strapped to my pack. Otherwise no don't wear any blaze orange.

Good ideer.

J_T
09-30-2015, 11:04 AM
No, not pushing for it, just curious to see what people do... Im a new hunter and want to be as safe as possible.

To answer your question. No, I do not own or wear blaze orange. When I come out in the dark, I have a small flashing red LED light on the back of my pack and I use a red light headlamp. If I have an animal down, I usually put on a coloured bandana.

wideopenthrottle
09-30-2015, 11:05 AM

I use brightly coloured flagging tape under those conditions and a few others...if I really want to be seen well

Coachman
09-30-2015, 11:13 AM
I always wear an orange hat unless im at my spot and settled in, spotting.

My daughter has to wear neon orange EVERY TIME we go in the bush. Hunting season or not

BCBRAD
09-30-2015, 11:18 AM

NO, don't need more rules!

BCBRAD
09-30-2015, 11:19 AM
To answer your question. No, I do not own or wear blaze orange. When I come out in the dark, I have a small flashing red LED light on the back of my pack and I use a red light headlamp. If I have an animal down, I usually put on a coloured bandana.

Yes this is good practice.

MB_Boy
09-30-2015, 01:56 PM
Hunting back in MB we had to wear blaze....a certain number of square inches above the waist including a hat/toque.

"If" you do feel better wearing it I can tell you the blaze camo patterns do work well (obviously depending on your backdrop) as I have rattled deer right in to within 15-20 yards without them knowing I was there but looking at me the entire way in. In saying that as my Dad had the same gear so I definitely saw it a lot ;-); thru human eyesight and the ability to see colour, it blends in quite well but the orange certainly does stand out.

limit time
09-30-2015, 02:10 PM
Hunting back in MB we had to wear blaze....a certain number of square inches above the waist including a hat/toque.

"If" you do feel better wearing it I can tell you the blaze camo patterns do work well (obviously depending on your backdrop) as I have rattled deer right in to within 15-20 yards without them knowing I was there but looking at me the entire way in. In saying that as my Dad had the same gear so I definitely saw it a lot ;-); thru human eyesight and the ability to see colour, it blends in quite well but the orange certainly does stand out.
Yes it does..that's why it's pretty much mandatory in all work sites. ...But that doesn't mean you won't get scoped ! Just like a flager won't get hit by a car.

Quince
09-30-2015, 02:11 PM
Depends where and when. When bullets are flying in the hills near kammy, the orange side of the reversable toque is out. Probably should wear it more...

Squamch
09-30-2015, 02:26 PM
Nope. I have a blaze jacket and a toque with an orange band, but I rarely wear them.

caddisguy
09-30-2015, 03:43 PM
I always have flagging ribbon and tarp in my pack for if I need to be seen, but I default to not wanting to be seen. If I'm near a road and here a vehicle, I usually hide. Not even sure why... just feels like the right thing to do ;-P

Sylus
09-30-2015, 03:49 PM
I always have flagging ribbon and tarp in my pack for if I need to be seen, but I default to not wanting to be seen. If I'm near a road and here a vehicle, I usually hide. Not even sure why... just feels like the right thing to do ;-P

Yeah, same here CG

Sleep Robber
09-30-2015, 04:09 PM
I've got an old "high viz" vest from work that is in my pack at all times, I'll put it on if I'm packing an animal out and not hunting anymore. I also have some surveyor tape as well.

I don't want some twit shooting me cause I have a set of antlers on my backpack when heading back to my camp or truck.

XPEIer
09-30-2015, 05:11 PM
I wear it as much as possible, i have a fleece touque I normally wear unless too warm, then an ugly orange hat. I had a hunting buddy of mine follow a deer into the area i was hunting, which I ended up cutting off and I barely noticed my buddy sneaking up behind the deer, he was NOT wearing orange and I could have taken a shot at that deer without even noticing he was there. It is not all about being "scoped"

Moose hunting in the GOS, always wear orange as there are far too many road hunters, and I am walking.

xpeier

albravo2
09-30-2015, 05:24 PM
For years I've wondered about those two-legged bucks walking backwards, now I find out they were strapped to someone's pack. Who knew?

Wentrot
09-30-2015, 05:33 PM
Not I....rather not be seen by the ding-dongs

1/2 slam
09-30-2015, 05:39 PM

I hunted Manitoba as well. they have way more people shot wearing blaze orange the we do not wearing blaze orange.

Almost every year I was there someone got shot.

Marlowethelazydog
09-30-2015, 05:56 PM
Wear it all the time except for waterfowling. Ungulates are dichromatic and don't see orange as orange.

bc-hunter
09-30-2015, 06:04 PM
I generally don't but my Golden Retriever is always dressed in orange when we go for grouse. Also, if I'm hiking back to my camp in the evening I use a headlamp even if not necessary to find my way back ... I've heard a few evening gun shots while out in region 2 and 3 past few years.

604ksmith
09-30-2015, 06:05 PM
I don't wear blaze when hunting, but as soon as an animal is down or I'm packing out, I wear a blaze hat and wrap my bag/antlers in orange flagging tape. I also have an old PPE vest I use as a pack cover. Better safe than sorry.

I sometimes wonder how many times someone has scoped me while hunting. Probably more than I'd like to know...

Salty
09-30-2015, 06:07 PM
Sometimes I dress up like the pope with a white bed sheet and a big chain and emblem around my neck. I figure that's pretty safe too.

ruger#1
09-30-2015, 06:10 PM
Sometimes I dress up like the pope with a white bed sheet and a big chain and emblem around my neck. I figure that's pretty safe too. We all know you pull a condom over your head. Safe hunting.

ruger#1
09-30-2015, 06:11 PM
Whitetail deer can see blue.

ACB
09-30-2015, 06:18 PM
The only time I personally ware blaze orange is when I hunt WT deer in Saskabush or upland birds in Alberta. My dog even wears it , on his E collar strap; it sure makes it easier to see him in the thick willows. It's a rule that we have while pheasant, everybody wears hunter orange hats and vests. It just makes it easier to know and see where everybody is around the thick willows. Nobody wants to get CHENEYED as in DICK. Ya in Sask. during rifle season you have to wear the colours, and they still shoot each other. I don't think it's lack of training but maybe too much WISERS in their coffee makes them dumber. Here in B.C. we have the choice and if you feel better wearing it, go for it. That said, if I'm packing anything with hair or antlers on it I wear orange!

M.Dean
09-30-2015, 06:22 PM
Sometimes I dress up like the pope with a white bed sheet and a big chain and emblem around my neck. I figure that's pretty safe too. You'd be "Fair Game" around here!

ActionJackson017
09-30-2015, 06:27 PM
I have a BC Lions hat I keep in my pack. Toss it on when I know other people are around.

Sofa King
09-30-2015, 06:31 PM
I solve the problem by not hunting where it's very busy.
don't think I'd ever where blaze except maybe at a blazers game.

MRP
09-30-2015, 08:28 PM
If it became law think I'll quit hunting.

IslandBC
09-30-2015, 08:31 PM
Please do and give me gps to your hunting area. I'll gladly rock the blaze

walks with deer
09-30-2015, 08:48 PM
I always wear orange no issues getting close to game......

MRP
09-30-2015, 09:01 PM
Please do and give me gps to your hunting area. I'll gladly rock the blaze
Dream on. Add no hunting on Sunday's to

Gateholio
09-30-2015, 09:19 PM
If it became law think I'll quit hunting.

Thankfully, there is no push to make this law. A few years ago BC hunters were surveyed about it and it came back withan overwhelming NO we don't want orange laws.

Drillbit
09-30-2015, 09:34 PM
I have a BC Lions hat I keep in my pack. Toss it on when I know other people are around.

You wear a lions hat in front of other people?? Keep that shit in the closet!! lol Rider Pride!!

Haha, seriously though, I don't even wear blaze in Saskatchewan. They require (used to be full suit, then jacket, now vest) a vest of white, orange, yellow, or red and hat of orange, red or yellow.

We all hunt in the snow and run camo pants and white uppers with faded yellow hats. A trustworthy crew though, only looking for the next world record, and hunting in an area where nobody else goes cause there's lots of walking involved.

Seems to me the colors in Sask are only to help the DNR to spot hunters driving around. And yep, even with colors, somebody get shot every year out there too.

I'm glad in BC we have the choice to wear it, if we see fit, and not have it mandatory.

To me it's more of a feel-good, bubble-wrapping regulation, nanny-state style (much like helmuts).

Sofa King
09-30-2015, 09:39 PM
http://www.ruttwipe.com/files/207.png (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCLaUk5S6oMgCFY2kiAod1kIOFA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ruttwipe.com%2F&bvm=bv.104226188,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNHJVgP5-czj-eCWNwwNPuS0CDtSyw&ust=1443760749570856)

srthomas75
09-30-2015, 09:48 PM
I like to wear an orange hat. Or brighter shirt. I've never been too concerned over not seeing animals as I've got my share. I'm more concerned on not know what someone else is thinking if they see or hear me somewhere. I can't guarantee how someone else will act. That is what I try to control as much as possible.
On a side note: why do so many guys wear all the camo gear to cruise around all day in a truck rocking out to the radio?

Sofa King
09-30-2015, 10:01 PM
I like to wear an orange hat. Or brighter shirt. I've never been too concerned over not seeing animals as I've got my share. I'm more concerned on not know what someone else is thinking if they see or hear me somewhere. I can't guarantee how someone else will act. That is what I try to control as much as possible.
On a side note: why do so many guys wear all the camo gear to cruise around all day in a truck rocking out to the radio?

I know, I just laugh at that.
my camo doesn't go on until I'm getting out of my truck to start hiking.

Daka
09-30-2015, 10:54 PM
East coast in both,states and Canada have mandatory in most places but there are still far more accidents than west coast

MB_Boy
09-30-2015, 10:58 PM
I hunted Manitoba as well. they have way more people shot wearing blaze orange the we do not wearing blaze orange.

Almost every year I was there someone got shot.

I hear ya.....it was either in the day you had to wear whites or the first year or so of blaze before blaze camouflage was a thing....we had two bullets whiz by from guys shooting at sound.

I think the biggest issue there is short seasons. 2 week GOS for deer has everyone flinging lead in desperation. If they had 2-3 months to get their 3 deer (as opposed to 1 now) around the province there would be way less accidents...blaze or not...IMHO.

But to the original post...you will be seen in blaze. The same asshole who scopes you in orange as he has no bino's is gonna scope the movement of you on your smartphone updating the forum as to what is happening afield. :p

Fisher-Dude
09-30-2015, 11:03 PM
I hear ya.....it was either in the day you had to wear whites or the first year or so of blaze before blaze camouflage was a thing....we had two bullets whiz by from guys shooting at sound.

I think the biggest issue there is short seasons. 2 week GOS for deer has everyone flinging lead in desperation. If they had 2-3 months to get their 3 deer (as opposed to 1 now) around the province there would be way less accidents...blaze or not...IMHO.

But to the original post...you will be seen in blaze. The same asshole who scopes you in orange as he has no bino's is gonna scope the movement of you on your smartphone updating the forum as to what is happening afield. :p

Your pink cap qualifies, I think.

tuner
09-30-2015, 11:23 PM
http://www.ruttwipe.com/files/207.png (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCLaUk5S6oMgCFY2kiAod1kIOFA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ruttwipe.com%2F&bvm=bv.104226188,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNHJVgP5-czj-eCWNwwNPuS0CDtSyw&ust=1443760749570856)
The NDP have finally come up with a good idea!!!

Wentrot
10-01-2015, 06:08 AM

Not a road hunter but if I was I think I would probably still rock camo. It goes hand in hand with hunting....even if your just sitting in a truck lol

Stone Sheep Steve
10-01-2015, 08:18 AM
East coast in both,states and Canada have mandatory in most places but there are still far more accidents than west coast

Too flat elsewhere. Nice to have hills and mountains to stop stray bullets.

albravo2
10-01-2015, 08:27 AM
Not a road hunter but if I was I think I would probably still rock camo. It goes hand in hand with hunting....even if your just sitting in a truck lol

I come from the 'married, quit caring' school of fashion. If I'm going hunting I put on my camo and don't give a rat's ass if someone snickers when I drive by. I don't give a second thought to grabbing my camo rain gear to walk the dogs. Who really cares?

Same fashion sense that makes wool socks and sandals perfectly fine attire for running errands in town. Drives my wife and kids crazy, just like my dad's fashion sense did when I was a kid.

wideopenthrottle
10-01-2015, 08:32 AM

same here...

Stew
10-01-2015, 08:33 AM
NO ORANGE HERE!!! I paid to much for my COOL camo :-)
I've hunted more than the average person. (I think anyways)
I have never been scoped. (That i know of)
As said, most everyone has a pair of binos these days.
I also usually carry flagging tape, and never put antlers/head in my pack, so they look upright and proper, as if it were a standing animal. If lots of antler is hangout of my pack i wrap in pink/orange flag tape.
Cheers
stew

Muliechaser
10-01-2015, 06:34 PM

It will stop any INTELLIGENT person from doing so . Either way why would somebody scope something with there rifle ? If its not clear enough to tell with the naked eye that it is a wild animal then what would drive a person to scope with a rifle ? Inferior genetics perhaps ? That shit boils my blood .

Mc

Dog_River
10-01-2015, 06:38 PM
I don't usually wear orange. But I would if the situation called for it.

Dog_River