PDA

View Full Version : Lumby To Christian Valley

Keta1969
09-29-2015, 09:04 PM
Will be heading that way in the last week of Oct. Actually driving from Cache Creek to Christian Valley. Looks like the FSR's are good from Lumby just looking for local knowledge of conditions. Will be in a 4x4 shortbox reg. cab with 2" lift and good tires and one set of vbar chains. Like the idea of going that way to see the country. Thanks in advance.

Salty
09-29-2015, 09:26 PM
Are you talking the Christian valley near hwy 33 southeast of Kelowna or maybe Creighton valley closer to Lumby?

monasheemountainman
09-29-2015, 09:37 PM
You can do that Rd no problem.

Sofa King
09-29-2015, 09:40 PM
October??
hell there's barely snow up on the connector then.

REMINGTON JIM
09-29-2015, 09:41 PM
Will be heading that way in the last week of Oct. Actually driving from Cache Creek to Christian Valley. Looks like the FSR's are good from Lumby just looking for local knowledge of conditions. Will be in a 4x4 shortbox reg. cab with 2" lift and good tires and one set of vbar chains. Like the idea of going that way to see the country. Thanks in advance.

Done it LOTS drive a car through there ! :smile: RJ

Keta1969
09-29-2015, 09:43 PM
Down harris creek-kettle gunnar-kettle mohr. thanks

Keta1969
09-29-2015, 09:56 PM
Thanks a lot for the info. Heard it was good but nothing like local knowledge.

RadHimself
09-29-2015, 11:38 PM
Lots of logging traffic, have fun

Looking_4_Jerky
09-30-2015, 12:00 AM
If you are hunting on the way, Harris Cr is a decent way to go. By late Oct I'd expect most of the animals to be in the lower to mid reaches. The top end of Harris Cr which joins up to Gunnar (do I recall correctly that it used to be called "Holmes Road"?) seems to empty out of deer very early (late Sept in my past experience), even when snow didn't seem to be a factor. I haven't been on Gunnar for a long time, but if they've punched new cuts near the valley bottom (where it connects with Kettle) that could be Ok, although we always found that south of Rendell seemed better after Thanksgiving.

If you're just looking for a backroad to CV, I'd just take the Kettle FSR right from the exit off Hwy 6 past Cherryville. You won't save time going over Harris and in fact it'll take longer.

Most often, snow isn't a concern at that time of year, but having the chains may be good peace of mind.

have fun!

Salty
09-30-2015, 10:29 AM
Down harris creek-kettle gunnar-kettle mohr. thanks

I've driven out Harris quite a ways several years back but not all the way to the kettle its a good interior mainline logging road but seemed to peter out maintenance wise, brushed in in spots etc as I recall. Not sure what its like these days as L4J says depends on recent logging activity or not. I'd second considering doing it from where the KV road hits hwy 6 out past Cherryville for a guaranteed back road route.

P-17
09-30-2015, 01:28 PM
If you are hunting on the way, Harris Cr is a decent way to go. By late Oct I'd expect most of the animals to be in the lower to mid reaches. The top end of Harris Cr which joins up to Gunnar (do I recall correctly that it used to be called "Holmes Road"?) seems to empty out of deer very early (late Sept in my past experience), even when snow didn't seem to be a factor. I haven't been on Gunnar for a long time, but if they've punched new cuts near the valley bottom (where it connects with Kettle) that could be Ok, although we always found that south of Rendell seemed better after Thanksgiving.

If you're just looking for a backroad to CV, I'd just take the Kettle FSR right from the exit off Hwy 6 past Cherryville. You won't save time going over Harris and in fact it'll take longer.

Most often, snow isn't a concern at that time of year, but having the chains may be good peace of mind.

have fun!

Any indication of what all the forest fires in Rock Creek and surrounding area have done to the deer patterns this fall? As you've pointed out, the deer tend move south along that corridor as the fall progresses. The wild card this year is that they have been likely pushed up north a bit by the fires.

I haven't had a chance to make my way out there this season, but I'd certainly be interested in hearing some insights from those who've actually been to the area.

Seeker
09-30-2015, 01:55 PM
Any indication of what all the forest fires in Rock Creek and surrounding area have done to the deer patterns this fall? As you've pointed out, the deer tend move south along that corridor as the fall progresses. The wild card this year is that they have been likely pushed up north a bit by the fires.

I haven't had a chance to make my way out there this season, but I'd certainly be interested in hearing some insights from those who've actually been to the area.

That fire will change very little in terms of migration habits or routes. The main fire was along the valley bottom between Rock Creek and Westbridge and adjacent ridges. It only burnt a little ways into the CV past Westbridge. The main component of CV remains untouched.

I don't like seeing homes burn, but this fire will be awesome for wintering deer and elk in the area.

Looking_4_Jerky
10-01-2015, 11:08 PM
I haven't been through there in a while, and have not seen the perimeter of the fire. No question it will be invaluable in terms of rejuvenating winter range.

In another mule deer winter range that I have hunted extensively over the years, fire seemed to do nothing to deter the animals from showing up. As almost all vegetation was gone, they were really packed into the remaining pockets, but they arrived as they normally would throughout the fall, and have continued doing so since then. What has changed is that the extensive salvage logging that occurred post-fire really opened the country up and it became basically very easy to hunt. The result of that was increased popularity and today the presence of mature mule deer is almost nil. The odd large 3pt (that moves in after any buck season closes) might survive, if they don't fall victim to the local FN harvest, which has also become heavy. Other than that, pretty much every young 4pt gets whacked by season's end. Quite sad, really. The area was certainly among the Thompson Valley's best winter range in the years pre-fire. It was almost entirely multi-story canopy and road hunting was all but hopeless.

ncurrie
10-08-2015, 09:46 AM

you will be more than fine to take that fsr, doing it this weekend. Lots of our guys are logging up there helpful with radio. If you have time take right up bison rd and walk to bison lake some great fishing.

300H&H
10-08-2015, 08:13 PM
I have made that drive before. It is a very nice part of the Christian Valley.
No snow now even up high.