PDA

View Full Version : 5-01 tomorrow

FortBoy
09-29-2015, 01:52 PM
ahhh the anticipation is killing me, cant wait to clock outta the office and head for the trees. heading up to 5-01 tomorrow to scout out for november bull moose draw, and hopefully find a couple deer and maybe a blackie while im up there. any tips on the area would be greatly appreciated, haven't hunted there much. anybody else hunting the area this week?

Sylus
09-29-2015, 01:59 PM
Nice! Have fun and post a story about how it pans out!

wideopenthrottle
09-29-2015, 02:01 PM
I am getting so jacked up I am gonna leave work an hour early today just to go chat with my hunting partners to make our final plans...ooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

KitsOutdoors
09-29-2015, 06:24 PM
Heading to 5-01 as well... Be sure to have a little orange on, should be busy as usual! Good luck!

REMINGTON JIM
09-29-2015, 07:39 PM
ahhh the anticipation is killing me, cant wait to clock outta the office and head for the trees. heading up to 5-01 tomorrow to scout out for november bull moose draw, and hopefully find a couple deer and maybe a blackie while im up there. any tips on the area would be greatly appreciated, haven't hunted there much. anybody else hunting the area this week?

Good Luck there Guy ! ;-) RJ

FortBoy
09-29-2015, 09:00 PM
Thanks guys, packed and ready to go! Few hours of work in the am then hittin the road. Woooohooooo, gotta love this time of year, hopefully I'll finally punch a tag on the bday, have always missed it so far by a day before or after. Happy huntin

FortBoy
10-07-2015, 01:52 PM
Well time for an update on the trip. got up to 5-01 september 30th with a couple hours of light left so went for a cruise to explore. ended up coming across a lil spike mulie just before dark, always nice to see bucks right before you start hunting. spent the opening morning in the same area we explored the night before and didnt see much at all. then, came around a corner and the wife spots em, DEER! take a look and there was 4 spikes, which we said we would pass on, until we realized they were a group of bachelor whiteys! wife lined one up, noticed one of the smaller guys limping pretty good so she chose to take him down. BOOM! she shot a lil far back and grazed the stomach but destroyed the liver, whitey down with in 30 yards. upon further inspection, lil guy had about 4 inches of leg bone sticking out of one of his hind legs down near his hoof, looked a few months old as it was starting to heal up but man was his leg swollen right out, never seen anything like it. great start to a trip, first hunt out and a deer down. had another chance at a spike muley later that night but was a little dark for an ethical shot so we let him live. next few days were spent shootin chicken as we must of seen 40 of the lil guys runnin around. didnt see much for deer, ran into a good sized calf moose (first moose wife had sene in the wild), but momma was nowhere to be found, figured she was gettin chased around by mr. bull. came across what i thought to be a trap for winter time as it was a lil tent set up with wood and chain link fence on the sides, seen a couple of them on one road, with a dead coyote laying on top of one of them. my best guess is somebody shot the yote and left it there for the trapper to come across a free pelt? last day comes around(birthday for me) and wasnt seein a damn thing until a nice lil mulie bounces off the road into the thick stuff about 40 yards in. lined him up, had just enough of a window to shoot, BOOM, broke a rib on the way in, blew apart the lungs and grazed the spine, dropped on the spot. didnt factor in how close i was and the the rifle would shoot a lil high, but ended up working out for me anyways. nice lil 3x3 mulie, had a broken 4th non typical on one side and a non typical 4th starting on the other, very similar antler layout as a mulie i shot up there years ago, almost identical, im thinkin grand pappy? so all in all, great first rifle trip of the year, wife got her first whitey, i got to drop a mulie on my bday, and seen plenty of chicken. will try to get a couple pics up of the mulie and the abandoned coyote when i have time. thanks to the mayor of 5-01 and the other couple hbc'ers that offered up some information, it was appreciated. happy hunting boys and girls, off to reg 3 for me this weekend, gotta love this time of year.

jaybe14
10-07-2015, 02:59 PM
Hey FortBoy, where is ur LEH for? 5-1? Two bulls got away from me at the end of Sept there, PM for the spots. Nice on the 3x3 saw tons of deer up there, unfortunately not open season yet for all mulie bucks (only 4 pt) when I was up there end of Sept.

FortBoy
10-07-2015, 04:23 PM
http://i57.tinypic.com/wv37cy.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/2cmn29h.jpg

FortBoy
10-07-2015, 04:32 PM
can anybody confirm that that is a trap with the dead coyote on it? it had nothing set in it so not a live trap, but wondering if that is somebodys line and whenever trapping season is underway if that would be a set? couple more (without dead yotes) on the same road down the line.

Big Hoss
10-07-2015, 04:59 PM
lol I was also wondering what that was. Seen it and another one when I was up that road a couple weeks ago

The Dawg
10-07-2015, 05:11 PM
doesnt look like any sets I know of

FortBoy
10-09-2015, 01:15 PM
well chalk it up to weird things you see out hunting i guess