PDA

View Full Version : When is bear hibernation?

new trigger
09-29-2015, 07:43 AM
This is the first season hunting for a bear and hopefully deer.
Shot upland for 3 years now and ready to move up the food chain I think.
This will also be the first time hunting for my nephew.

My question is if I find a spot for bear and deer (
Not yet knowing where to go) will the bear be hibernatin already. Or any ideas when they do go to sleep.
Is it a good time of year anyway? Suppose they are getting fatty, does that mean a change in habits to watch for?
Only seen a few bear over the last few years while grouse hunting and didn't really pay any attention.
We don't know how the kid will relate to seeing dead game, but let's give it a try.

caddisguy
09-29-2015, 07:55 AM
Probably have another 4-6 weeks for bears in Region 2. If you can find berries higher up, that's where they'll be.

I've noticed there are more bears still around lower near the valley bottoms this year than most, but it will still be 10x more difficult to find a fall bear versus a spring bear.

Another issue about fall bear hunting is that a sows don't keep their cubs on a short leash like in May. They could be up a tree 1-2km away. Not being able to relialbly/quickly judge a bear (sow vs boar) makes me hesitant to bother focusing on bears. I figure best to deer hunt during the fall and consider bear opportunities as they come up.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-29-2015, 08:16 AM
Late October right into December in the OK

Steeleco
09-29-2015, 08:29 AM
Down hear on the wet coast I don't think they enter a true hibernation, they sleep for short periods but not a true hibernation. I've seen bears in late Dec up Harrison, if there's food around there's no real need for sleep. JMHO!!

Wolfman
09-29-2015, 08:29 AM
We are also still going strong with the salmon spawn down here in Squamish for instance, so I figure anywhere there are still fish to be had you'll also find the bears fattening up ;-)

Wolfman
09-29-2015, 08:56 AM
Of course I should add that bears eating a lot of spawning fish are also pretty gamey ;-)

TheProvider
09-29-2015, 09:13 AM
They'll be out still and on one of their favorite food sources, fish and berries. They'll be feeding practically around the clock at this time of year. They'll either be down low in the rivers or up high in the berries. Go up high and you'll have chances of bear, deer and grouse.

Husky7mm
09-29-2015, 09:21 AM
Yes go up high and get a nice berry eating bear. They are often out even after it snows. It will be very greasy but you can trim most o that off. Happy hunting

TheProvider
09-29-2015, 09:26 AM
A picture from this morning my wife's brother posted in Whistler. There getting awfully fat and thick coats at this time. Which is a good reminder of sparse blood trails!

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/12017496_996914433692680_6568900160748938814_o.jpg

.330 Dakota
09-29-2015, 10:40 AM
Nov 13th, at 4:30 PM

Sofa King
09-29-2015, 11:43 AM
hahaha!!!!!!!!

.330 Dakota
09-29-2015, 11:57 AM
Well if ya ask a "st%$d" question...LOL

Salty
09-29-2015, 12:01 PM
Down hear on the wet coast I don't think they enter a true hibernation, they sleep for short periods but not a true hibernation. I've seen bears in late Dec up Harrison, if there's food around there's no real need for sleep. JMHO!!

I'd have to agree. I mean they do hibernate I've found dens I know of loggers that have inadvertently woke them up! But I have seen bears around here in every single month of the year. The very odd one I've seen in January or February appear pretty dozy and slow but they're on their feet and they're not sleeping. I wonder is some bears on the coast don't test the waters on a warm winter day, say screw it and go back for a nap.

ducktoller
09-29-2015, 12:20 PM
I'd have to agree. I mean they do hibernate I've found dens I know of loggers that have inadvertently woke them up! But I have seen bears around here in every single month of the year. The very odd one I've seen in January or February appear pretty dozy and slow but they're on their feet and they're not sleeping. I wonder is some bears on the coast don't test the waters on a warm winter day, say screw it and go back for a nap.

I'd think so. Found tracks up in whistler in feb/Mar. Lots of the south states they never hibernate

wideopenthrottle
09-29-2015, 12:26 PM
http://www.bearbiology.com/fileadmin/tpl/Downloads/URSUS/Vol_24_1/Immel_et_al_24_1_.pdf
I found this that might interest you

wideopenthrottle
09-29-2015, 12:31 PM
http://www.carnivoreconservation.org/files/thesis/davis_1996_msc.pdf

page 27 "denning Chronology" from this paper

caddisguy
09-29-2015, 01:03 PM

Bears still move around a bit during hibernation. Technically they are still hibernating, slow rate heart rate, don't eat, poop, etc. Not sure the reason for their moving about.

Food supply generally dictates when they go into hibernation and when they wake up, so perhaps you are onto something that temperature triggers something to make them go check and make sure they didn't oversleep. Hmm it's warm... food here? Nope, k back to bed ;-P

I've woken up to an empty fridge and decided to continue hibernating.

250 sav
09-29-2015, 01:52 PM
when chipmunks are out so are bears as a general rule

ACE
09-29-2015, 01:59 PM

The impregnated sows go into hibernation ..... they don't wander around.

ajr5406
09-29-2015, 06:51 PM

Dont forget to account for daylight savings finishing...

Ohwildwon
09-29-2015, 07:45 PM

Sounds like a good bet on a Dirt Nap time!

ACB
09-29-2015, 09:16 PM
I'v had bear crap in my yard between Xmas and New years, maybe they were sleep crapping.