PDA

View Full Version : Area 2 success

Xenomorph
09-28-2015, 08:26 PM
Two awesome weekends:

One:
Gambier walk around. Found definite signs of cougar on the island - paw print in the mud next to the creek, fawn back leg with bits and pieces of meat left on it. While going through some big ferns all got really quiet, really fast and the hair on the back just stood up. Didn't see the kitty, but I was hot and ready. Anyway, long story short lots of does, lots of fawns, almost taunting, but no bucks.

On the way back I stumble on yet another doe and fawn, 50 yards another doe and fawn, another 50 yards and a group of does ...WAIT, that's a 2x2 ...they all scatter, I scramble for a shot, crosshairs on its legs MOFO leaves and branches. All of a sudden I do a "Maaa!" He stops suddenly and gives a broadside ...NO SHOT! I drop on my knees and "Maaa!" again and BEWM! All I see is the buck go backwards on its ass and down the ravine. Blasted the heart to pieces, dead on impact.

Two:
Upper Squamish. Run around the trails, got close to the water and kept my eyes peeled from grizzlies. I get to a spot where I want to cross, or think about crossing... funny splash to my left, run back up the trail, cut up and down and drop down to my knees again as the MOFO twig breaks underneath my shoe. Too late, bullet already connected, heart and piece of liver gone, expired in 30 yards. Nice 5' porker.

So, 20 Rem 150s bullets through the pipe to gauge the precision up in the boonies. 2 Hornady 165s later I got one buck and one fall blackie. Finally can account for my expenses to the boss and justify that I need a quad now :D

miner_luke
09-28-2015, 08:46 PM
Nice job! I was just thinking this evening if anyone was going to post about having any success in region 2 on blacktails or bears.

After some changes in plans I'm gonna have to stay close to home this year too. I hope I can join you with a coast success story!

Congratulations Xenomorph on filling the freezer!

Salty
09-28-2015, 08:51 PM
WTG Xeno! Nothing to sneeze at picking up two critters in region 2 already well done.

Foxtail
09-28-2015, 09:24 PM
Nice... I have had that hair on the back of my neck standing up feeling before. Survival instincts... Who knew lol. Thanks for the report.

MB_Boy
09-28-2015, 09:30 PM
Nice work!

May be the same cat hopping the Islands but there is/has been one on Anvil Island recently as well.

Xenomorph
09-29-2015, 08:40 AM
Yup, freezer looks good.

Weird how that sense makes you aware of what's there watching you. I don't think I've ever been more aware of "something". Even with the spring bear chase -ended up 15-20 feet- away from him as he doubled back on the trail, but nothing like this. Kept hearing stories that a cat made its way there, yup, I don't blame her, plenty of food.

If I have time I'll head out again past Pemby, heard there's a bunch of bruisers down from the mountains.

ducktoller
09-29-2015, 12:18 PM
Yup, freezer looks good.

Weird how that sense makes you aware of what's there watching you. I don't think I've ever been more aware of "something". Even with the spring bear chase -ended up 15-20 feet- away from him as he doubled back on the trail, but nothing like this. Kept hearing stories that a cat made its way there, yup, I don't blame her, plenty of food.

If I have time I'll head out again past Pemby, heard there's a bunch of bruisers down from the mountains.

They've been feasting on the salmon in pemby

Xenomorph
09-29-2015, 02:38 PM
They've been feasting on the salmon in pemby

That's fine, more amino acids. Still early in the season. I'd stay away a month from now after really rotten stuff.