PDA

View Full Version : Bumped into some Elk

rab89
09-28-2015, 11:14 AM
I've been reading stories on here, and seems everyone else likes to read them too, so here's the start of mine.

I went out with my brother in law on Thursday, fairly new area to us both, so it was a scouting mission as much as a deer hunt.

We hit the trails at about 6:30 am, he would hate if I told this part, but as we get the guns ready, magazines loaded and are about to head out on our hike, I hear "oh sh*t I forgot my bolt!" hahaha so we backtracked a ways to take care of that issue!

So a little later and we're finally at our clear cut, it's older but not been replanted, we make a round of the tree line, it's nasty in there and we're making way too much noise, we then head up a knoll to see if we can get a vantage point. At the top there is a fair bit of sign, so we stop and call, thinking we'll wait 5 minutes and see if we get anything back.

He sends out a couple grunts, remember were out there for deer.

I hear what sounds like a coyote in the distance, wait a few mins and he calls again and we hear a Doe with a light call back.
Not something we can shoot, but hey, let's call her in anyways, 5 minutes turns into 10, then 20, she's getting closer and calling back more and more aggressively.

At about 45 minutes she's getting close and moving lots, we hear her calling from the left, then the right but the bush is so thick we can't see anything.

Then all of the sudden some thrashing in the trees, and some breaking branches, what the heck! definitely not getting the grunts of a buck, but with those noises, there's no way it's a Doe!!

The sounds fade further away, and eventually nothing back. This is where the story pauses!

when I get home I call a friend and tell him the story, he's as confused as me until I mimic the sound we heard.

Fast chirping and quite aggressive. He tells me without a doubt, that was ELK, and explains the way they heard together which is why we heard calls from multiple spots.

Although we never got eyes on the bull, we are sure he's in there, I went and got some calls and a tag, and we'll be out in the next few days to see if we can pull this bugger out!

wideopenthrottle
09-28-2015, 11:33 AM
I've been reading stories on here, and seems everyone else likes to read them too, so here's the start of mine.

I went out with my brother in law on Thursday, fairly new area to us both, so it was a scouting mission as much as a deer hunt.

We hit the trails at about 6:30 am, he would hate if I told this part, but as we get the guns ready, magazines loaded and are about to head out on our hike, I hear "oh sh*t I forgot my bolt!" hahaha so we backtracked a ways to take care of that issue!

So a little later and we're finally at our clear cut, it's older but not been replanted, we make a round of the tree line, it's nasty in there and we're making way too much noise, we then head up a knoll to see if we can get a vantage point. At the top there is a fair bit of sign, so we stop and call, thinking we'll wait 5 minutes and see if we get anything back.

He sends out a couple grunts, remember were out there for deer.

I hear what sounds like a coyote in the distance, wait a few mins and he calls again and we hear a Doe with a light call back.
Not something we can shoot, but hey, let's call her in anyways, 5 minutes turns into 10, then 20, she's getting closer and calling back more and more aggressively.

At about 45 minutes she's getting close and moving lots, we hear her calling from the left, then the right but the bush is so thick we can't see anything.

Then all of the sudden some thrashing in the trees, and some breaking branches, what the heck! definitely not getting the grunts of a buck, but with those noises, there's no way it's a Doe!!

The sounds fade further away, and eventually nothing back. This is where the story pauses!

when I get home I call a friend and tell him the story, he's as confused as me until I mimic the sound we heard.

Fast chirping and quite aggressive. He tells me without a doubt, that was ELK, and explains the way they heard together which is why we heard calls from multiple spots.

Although we never got eyes on the bull, we are sure he's in there, I went and got some calls and a tag, and we'll be out in the next few days to see if we can pull this bugger out!

hey....you forgot to say the GPS coordinates...:smile:

rab89
09-28-2015, 11:45 AM
haha oh darn I forgot to take them too! :razz:

tenrag
09-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Great start to the story...lets hope it has a happy ending. Keep us posted!!

ElliotMoose
09-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Sweet! Get in there! The bulls are sounding off pretty good right now and there really aren't many noises that will get your heart going like a screaming bull elk in the bush. Get in there well before first light, play the wind and listen to the music! If you are new to elk hunting, you might want to google pictures of bull elk to make it easier distinguishing a 5 pt between a 6 pt. A lot of times you have a very short window and even with the sharpest eyes it can be tough counting points when they are on the move. Assuming you are in a 6 point zone that is!

BigfishCanada
09-28-2015, 01:32 PM
Mission I am assuming lower mainland, yes the elks are getting healthy, but nothing is open (Elk that is)

I have been doing may day trips in the area now, and the only time i see bucks are when its brutal weather, i havent seen even a doe on sunny days, pissing rain, thick fog, crummy weather has had much better luck for me. BUT i also havent filled a tag down here, but missed a few chances.

rab89
09-28-2015, 01:37 PM
Sweet! Get in there! The bulls are sounding off pretty good right now and there really aren't many noises that will get your heart going like a screaming bull elk in the bush. Get in there well before first light, play the wind and listen to the music! If you are new to elk hunting, you might want to google pictures of bull elk to make it easier distinguishing a 5 pt between a 6 pt. A lot of times you have a very short window and even with the sharpest eyes it can be tough counting points when they are on the move. Assuming you are in a 6 point zone that is!

I've been watching youtube videos and reading lots! hoping to go tomorrow evening as my brother in law works all week.
From what I read and hear, the way to do it is have one guy(calling) 100 yards behind the other(shooter) I've been driving my dog crazy with my call practicing haha!

we're going to head in from the low side, there is an opening I'm hoping we can pull him out to. I hope to report back with pictures!!

here is a video I took, it was early on before we were getting the real good calls back, might be too tough to hear much, but at about 43 seconds in you can kinda hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuAFc_oatHI

rab89
09-28-2015, 01:40 PM
Mission I am assuming lower mainland, yes the elks are getting healthy, but nothing is open (Elk that is)

I have been doing may day trips in the area now, and the only time i see bucks are when its brutal weather, i havent seen even a doe on sunny days, pissing rain, thick fog, crummy weather has had much better luck for me. BUT i also havent filled a tag down here, but missed a few chances.

nope, North Okanagan. 6 point are open until oct 21

BigfishCanada
09-28-2015, 03:33 PM
Nothing worse that watching a 6 point thinking they were closed :)

rab89
09-28-2015, 04:09 PM
haha I sure hope that didn't happen to you!

HarryToolips
09-28-2015, 09:24 PM
nope, North Okanagan. 6 point are open until oct 21
October 20th:wink:...lol I thought everybody was sayin bull elk don't bugle in region 8, too much pressure???

rab89
09-29-2015, 12:55 PM
We didn't hear any bugling, just cows calling and some pretty good thrashing. leaving work early today to head out!

Seeker
09-29-2015, 01:01 PM
Did anybody else try the video, can't seem to get it to wrk, wnats me to sign into google and create a channel????

wideopenthrottle
09-29-2015, 01:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7mHNoZZfoY
at the 20 min mark

rab89
09-29-2015, 01:50 PM
Did anybody else try the video, can't seem to get it to wrk, wnats me to sign into google and create a channel????

here is a new link, and I'll change the other one..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuAFc_oatHI

Wrayzer
09-29-2015, 02:01 PM
So the Coyote sounds you were hearing was actually the bull bugling?

rab89
09-29-2015, 02:08 PM
So the Coyote sounds you were hearing was actually the bull bugling?

ahh, should have explained, what I thought was the high pitch of a coyote was cow elk calls. Hoping so anyways!

.264winmag
11-04-2015, 10:57 PM
Interesting, was out chasing my big mulie around yesterday. Tracked till snow ran out. Long story short while pushing along through timber did some random rattling trying to suck out my buck from his does. Heard thrashing for a good 15 min, kept after him copying his enthusiasm. Finally out came a 6x6 bull elk. Nov.3 still raring to go. First region 8 6x called in for myself. Clearly oct.20 is not to late for calling:)
Can't wait for next season.