PDA

View Full Version : Bull elk hits the dirt.

Wrayzer
09-27-2015, 08:08 PM
I wasn't going to post a story as it seems less and less guys are, but I enjoy reading others adventures it only makes sense I do the same in hopes others will follow. Also I hope some fellow elk hunters may learn a thing or two, like I have and every time I chase them, about these creatures.

We headed east for our annual Kootaney elk hunt in hopes of the same success we had the season before with .300wsmImpact! Dropping a nice bull.
After a bit of preseason scouting that .300 was able to do while the rest of us were unable to make it, we found there to be some good inventory around the area.

We did a quick evening hunt after we arrived and set up camp, I had my eye on cut that was a couple years old, with such a dry summer we had, had a creek running just inside the tree line for their water source, as well as thick timber that has miles of untouched timber leading up to the high country. Made sense to me that the elk would be around an Area like this. We checked the cut and sure enough there was fresh elk sign.
We hunted the cut the next day without any luck, regrouped at camp and went back for the evening. Finally after a locator bugle and multiple cow calls we had a chuckling bull in the timber. Dusk was setting in so I decided to leave the bull for the evening and hope he doesn't travel far.

I set up at 9:30am (checked another spot first the boys had more action at the night before) thinking it'll be too late to get that chuckling bull going but thought who knows, lets giver a try.
i set up behind a large Boulder, wind in my face watching the furthest corner of the cut and tried a bugle with the mouth diaphram and tube and multiple cow calls using the mouth diaphram as well as a primos cow girl bite and blow. The strategy behind the two different calls was to create a multitude of different sounding calls to sound like a herd. My experience with a mouth diaphram or Reed has been greater than a hoochie mama at creating different sounding chirps.
Sure enough, after a frenzy of mews and chirps I scanned the timber and through the trees I see a tan body about 350 yards away. I put the calls down as not to spook the elk. Not sure if it's a cow or a bull, he finally walks out of the trees and I can see a rack. He's coming head on so I keep the binos on him trying for a count. Finally he turns just enough I get a count of 6 including a small split. He looks like a small 6 to me. I told the boys earlier at camp anything legal is hitting the dirt. At this distance he looked like a squeaker 6. He takes a few more steps and turns his head and I realize the "small split" is actually his 6 and 7 tines. Holy smokes.
Now I've had Bulls in close, bugling, thrashing antlers, beating up trees and making a racquet. But this guy, a 700lbs animal came in as silent as a church mouse. Literally wouldn't have known he was there if he came in downwind behind me.

Hes coming head on through the fire weed but I can only see his neck and head. Finally at about 150ish yards he turns broadside still scanning for the "cows". I click the safety off, but he's still in the fireweed and don't want to screw up a shot through the weeds.

Im starting to get bull fever. This is it. I'm going to shoot a bull after 6 years of chasing. He walks through the weeds and hits a skidder trail. BOOM I let him have it. He starts trotting. And then I grab my diaphram and start doing cow chirps to slow him up. Boom I hammer him again. This guy ran. Straight for the creek in the steep dark jungle timber. Crap.

Then about 75 yards from the timber he slows and stops. Throws his head back thrashes his antlers, does the wobble and lays down. He's down. What a rush.

After a quick call to the rest of the guys and giving the bull some time, we made our way down to the bull and got to work. Thanks guys for the helping hand.

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz287/Wrayzer/Mobile%20Uploads/1cfb6ef6-4ca6-4124-9282-e5440b8ada0e_zpstn7j6hxg.jpg

Sofa King
09-27-2015, 08:09 PM
awesome!!!

Sylus
09-27-2015, 08:14 PM
Excellent story and elk. Thanks for taking the time to post this up!!

jaeger
09-27-2015, 08:16 PM
nicely done!

morris
09-27-2015, 08:17 PM
Thanks for posting! Gives me hope and advice! Love it!

elkrub
09-27-2015, 08:18 PM
Great Story ..........Great Bull!
Thanks

375shooter
09-27-2015, 08:25 PM
That's a nice one! Congratulations. Thanks for posting the story.

monasheemountainman
09-27-2015, 08:32 PM
Wow man that is a great looking bull! Sure am glad you changed your mind and decided to post that up! Love it man great short story and a sweet bull!

Foxtail
09-27-2015, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the story. I feel the same way as you. Maybe if I do my report, others will too. That is an awesome bull.

kilometers
09-27-2015, 08:37 PM
Wish more people shared their stories. Thanks!!

jacksondog
09-27-2015, 08:39 PM
Great bull, looks a lot like the country where I shot my bull last week. Good job.

REMINGTON JIM
09-27-2015, 08:43 PM
WOW ! Beauty Bull there ! Congrats ! and thks for sharing ! :biggrin: RJ

chainsaw
09-27-2015, 09:01 PM
I stopped posting a ways back but your right i too like reading all the storys so im off for my wifes moose draw next week and my dads island elk right after that, i will post on both hunts. Congrats on a awsome bull. Cheers

kevan
09-27-2015, 09:10 PM
Great write-up and a beautiful animal .... thanks for sharing.
Can I ask what you were using for a rifle and load ?

srupp
09-27-2015, 09:23 PM
Wowzer..great bull.thank you for taking the time and effort to see what this site can be.
Impressive elk.congradulations.
Bon appetite...
Cheers
Steven

Ohwildwon
09-27-2015, 09:29 PM
Another excellent post!

Any chance you could add to it? How did you process the animal on the spot? What would you do differently for the next time etc...

250 sav
09-27-2015, 09:34 PM
nice bull and play by play thanks

tribal
09-27-2015, 09:40 PM
Great story and beautiful elk, worth the 6 years !!

Hammerhead
09-27-2015, 10:54 PM
Nice bull and thanks for the write up. Great story
Congrats
HH

ElliotMoose
09-27-2015, 10:55 PM
Great bull!! EK or WK? Hope to have the same luck next week. Thanks for postin

Jrax
09-27-2015, 11:06 PM
wow, thanks for story. beautiful bull in nice area!

coach
09-27-2015, 11:07 PM
Way to go, Wrayzer! I'm kicking myself for not joining you guys this year. It was pretty awesome getting the text with that pic right after you connected. Congrats on a very well deserved bull and good on you for posting up the story! Hopefully more people follow your lead.

Great stuff!!

Gateholio
09-27-2015, 11:38 PM
Nice bull!!!!!

Knute
09-28-2015, 05:46 AM
Outstanding bull, congrats.

Enjoyed the write up and pic!

TrickleCharger
09-28-2015, 05:48 AM
Congrats and great story! Gets me pumped for my upcoming hunt!

Wrayzer
09-28-2015, 05:56 AM
Great write-up and a beautiful animal .... thanks for sharing.
Can I ask what you were using for a rifle and load ?
Winchester 70 30-06 with Federal Power Shock 180 grain.

M.Dean
09-28-2015, 06:08 AM
That's what this Site is supposed to be, Great Hunting Storys, and pictures to drool over!!! And Thank You for keeping this Site a place we can all share our great Adventures! And what a Bull!!!

Deaddog
09-28-2015, 06:28 AM
great bull and story, congrats, glad it worked our for you..

HarryToolips
09-28-2015, 06:35 AM
Wow great bull and story, congrats!! It's amazing they can still go for a bit after being shot twice..

OutWest
09-28-2015, 07:04 AM
Congrats on your first of what I assume will be many more elk to come, Geoff. That is a fine bull!

Ourea
09-28-2015, 08:22 AM
Good work Wrayzer!

Nice to see you connect after the amount of time and effort you have put in.
We admire your perseverance.
I am sure you will only dial it in more with each season.

Thanks for the post.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-28-2015, 08:27 AM
Great looking bull!!! Congrats!!
Only skimmed through story for now but will go back and enjoy your efforts later.

SSS

Ltbullken
09-28-2015, 08:48 AM
Great looking bull. Thanks for the story! Congrats.

wideopenthrottle
09-28-2015, 09:38 AM
beauty bull nice work and thanks for taking the time to write it up

epicZERO74
09-28-2015, 10:03 AM
Nice elk! Congrats!

rifleman
09-28-2015, 10:29 AM
that aint no squeaker... shooter bull for sure. congrats on a successful hunt.

tachi
09-28-2015, 10:31 AM
congratulation!!!

Seeker
09-28-2015, 10:51 AM
Congrats Wrayzer, you were due! It makes you wonder that an elk would walk in through the open at that time of the day, just goes to show you that hormaones can make a guy do funny things! Something I find puzzling is that he appears to be a good sized bull. I would think that he would have a few cows with him. I know some areas of the koots have big bulls, but if that bull is a satellite bull on the outskirts, I would keep hunting that area as there is most likely a bigger one with all the cows!

wideopenthrottle
09-28-2015, 11:09 AM
Congrats Wrayzer, you were due! It makes you wonder that an elk would walk in through the open at that time of the day, just goes to show you that hormaones can make a guy do funny things! Something I find puzzling is that he appears to be a good sized bull. I would think that he would have a few cows with him. I know some areas of the koots have big bulls, but if that bull is a satellite bull on the outskirts, I would keep hunting that area as there is most likely a bigger one with all the cows!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?121379-I-m-looking-for-some-Elk-hunting-tips

not the expert but I had heard this from a seasoned elk hunter and asked on the tips thread... sometimes the big boy will let a smaller one do all the work keeping the girls in line then step in all full of energy and boot the tired boy out so as to take care of the "man's work"...heheheh

Wrayzer
09-28-2015, 11:21 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?121379-I-m-looking-for-some-Elk-hunting-tips

not the expert but I had heard this from a seasoned elk hunter and asked on the tips thread... sometimes the big boy will let a smaller one do all the work keeping the girls in line then step in all full of energy and boot the tired boy out so as to take care of the "man's work"...heheheh

Just to answer Seeker, this quote by wideopenthrottle is exactly what I think was going on. My belief is he lost the herd he was keeping tabs on, as another in our group had some luck off the "Bullder" in the same cut two days after me that was with the herd. But that's his story to tell...

300H&H
09-28-2015, 03:34 PM
Congratulations Wrayzer that is a awesome bull. Impact did score a nice one last season so it was your turn to down a beast.
See you in the hills soon...remember to stop and say hi.

Pinewood
09-28-2015, 04:41 PM
Congrats man, thanks for the story.

Wrayzer
09-28-2015, 09:22 PM
Another excellent post!

Any chance you could add to it? How did you process the animal on the spot? What would you do differently for the next time etc...
Not much more to it, we found a skidder trail that wasn't far from the bull that went down the 400 yards to a lower road. Quick winch with the quad and we had him on the trail and to the road in no time.

Edge
09-28-2015, 09:36 PM
Great story, great bull..thanks for sharing

Glassman
09-29-2015, 03:42 PM
Excellent job