PDA

View Full Version : 7-16 Parsnip River tips

VanIsleCam
09-27-2015, 11:21 AM
Hey all - going on my first moose hunt in a couple weeks. I read some old posts on the area but wondering if anyone has any recent information re: road closures / washouts/ fishing opportunities/ predator issues - pretty much any info that you can pass on that is helpful.
Thanks,
Cam

landphil
09-27-2015, 03:13 PM
7-16B, or the whole zone? "B" is the majority of the area along the river, we were up there three weeks ago. The 700 road (Chuchinka Cr FSR) out from Bear lake is a good solid road in good condition, though most of the spur roads are very overgrown with brush, you're only taking a truck down them if you really don't care about how your truck looks after, if that. There are only a couple cutblocks not too overgrown for good glassing, and a few that offer a bit of a vantage, but limited. In the whole week, we saw zero deer, zero bears, only one bull moose, had a bull draw but couldn't make it come together. If you're moose hunting zone B, I'd bring a boat you can run the parsnip river with - what I saw of it, it is a slow and lazy river so a 12' alum with a 9.9 would work fine, but be cautious, who knows what's around the next bend. There is tons of swampland along the river largely inaccessible by road or trail, much of it on the west side of the river, which is 7-16, mostly zone B. Good luck!

emerson
09-27-2015, 04:53 PM
7-16B, or the whole zone? "B" is the majority of the area along the river, we were up there three weeks ago. The 700 road (Chuchinka Cr FSR) out from Bear lake is a good solid road in good condition, though most of the spur roads are very overgrown with brush, you're only taking a truck down them if you really don't care about how your truck looks after, if that. There are only a couple cutblocks not too overgrown for good glassing, and a few that offer a bit of a vantage, but limited. In the whole week, we saw zero deer, zero bears, only one bull moose, had a bull draw but couldn't make it come together. If you're moose hunting zone B, I'd bring a boat you can run the parsnip river with - what I saw of it, it is a slow and lazy river so a 12' alum with a 9.9 would work fine, but be cautious, who knows what's around the next bend. There is tons of swampland along the river largely inaccessible by road or trail, much of it on the west side of the river, which is 7-16, mostly zone B. Good luck!

Tried the 12' 9.9 deal on the Parsnip. No go, need a jet o/b at least.

landphil
09-27-2015, 05:20 PM
Tried the 12' 9.9 deal on the Parsnip. No go, need a jet o/b at least.

Alright then - take it from someone who knows from experience over what I said.

VanIsleCam - at least your trip is better timed with the rut, and calling will likely be much more effective than it was for us.

604ksmith
09-27-2015, 06:30 PM
I have an LEH for October 10-25th and 7-16B.

From what I've scouted Landphil is pretty much bang on and a boat is nearly a slam-dunk from what I saw last year. There's quite a few Moose in that area (IMO) it's just a matter of access.

VanIsleCam
09-27-2015, 06:33 PM
Thanks guys for the information much appreciated. I am not 100% on where we will be yet though we will have quads. No access to a jet boat.

604ksmith
09-27-2015, 06:38 PM
Also, bring bear spray.

Everyone in PG seems to think the 7-16/7-23 area around the Parsnip is infested with Grizzly.

Salty
09-27-2015, 06:53 PM
Watch around that river when a storm comes through it can rise fast and flood into the timber which is thicker than chit. There's big dollies (bull trout) in there if you can get to them.

sparkes3
09-27-2015, 08:41 PM
I tried a 12 footer with a 15 hp got up a little ways then just sat in a fast spot for a few minutes and gave up .
then beached it on a sandbar and went into a swampy area .
the moose were in there but I made so much noise trying to get through they were probably gone after the first ten seconds of me hitting the bush.
hit the power lines get quiet for a hour then start calling low and slowly get louder after waiting 10 -15 minutes

REMINGTON JIM
09-27-2015, 08:52 PM
Also, bring bear spray.

Everyone in PG seems to think the 7-16/7-23 area around the Parsnip is infested with Grizzly.

Bear Spray - don't you hunt with a rifle ? :wink: lol RJ

landphil
09-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Might be some useful info for you in here too, I found Boner's posts about the boundaries very useful - though the 700 road crosses the parsnip (and the boundary) at about 777km, and main fork to the left becomes the 1200 Rd, with 1258 being the bridge.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?120367-7-16-Wicheeda-Lake-access-and-camping-questions.

604ksmith
09-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Bear Spray - don't you hunt with a rifle ? :wink: lol RJ

I do, but I find I'm quicker to my belt pouch spray than I am to shoot.

My gut instinct tells me if a bear is less than 50 yards away I'm drawing my spray instead of my rifle.

MikeP
09-28-2015, 07:58 AM
Hey all - going on my first moose hunt in a couple weeks. I read some old posts on the area but wondering if anyone has any recent information re: road closures / washouts/ fishing opportunities/ predator issues - pretty much any info that you can pass on that is helpful.
Thanks,
Cam
I live in Prince George and have a cabin near there on a small lake that I stay at when hunting. This is my go to territory but no LE draw this year and likely will end up hunting this area myself. Getting mixed reports; earlier one individual works in that area said lots of moose, but more recently I am hearing the opposite. Also hope to hunt deer down in 5.13 with my Bro-in-law who has connections with some farmers in the area ...sounds like may be my best bet for getting some game this year.

sparkes3
09-28-2015, 07:13 PM
had one young grizzly next to us in the gravel pit it didn't give a shit that we were there first and when it got to close put a couple into the ground before it decided to bugger off.
seen another one the size of a sidekick on a gut pile down on the power lines just turned around and left it alone.

Ride Red
09-28-2015, 07:17 PM
Also, bring bear spray.

I've hunted that area many times and there are lots of bear around. Thick country, be careful.

VanIsleCam
09-28-2015, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Had my concerns seeing the grizzly preserves. Not organizing the hunt but if I'm going I want to have my chit together.

mooze
10-05-2015, 07:41 AM
Also, bring bear spray.

that is why the University of Alberta and UNBC did their Grizzly hibernation study there........10 years ago