PDA

View Full Version : Heading up to Haida Gwaii

Quaz
09-25-2015, 01:09 PM
So myself and a couple of buddies are heading up to Haida Gwaii next week to have a sniff around and hunt for a week. We anticipate linking up with a deer or two but none of us have ever been up there and are looking for information about spots we should go. While I am not looking for a ten figure grid reference to your favorite spot, I would happily appreciate a point in the right direction for deer and/or great things we have to see.

If you don't want to broadcast to the world, send me a PM if you want. I am happy to reciprocate with something pretty good, especially for a local to the QCI.

Head up, gun up.

winchester284
09-25-2015, 03:03 PM
Just start driving up a logging road, get out of your vehicle when you see 1 or more deer, load your rifle and shoot. After dressing the deer and loading it in your truck, repeat..... It's not really hunting but man are they tasty!

wideopenthrottle
09-25-2015, 03:10 PM
Just start driving up a logging road, get out of your vehicle when you see 1 or more deer, load your rifle and shoot. After dressing the deer and loading it in your truck, repeat..... It's not really hunting but man are they tasty!
I have never hunted there so I am unfamiliar with the regs...how many are you allowed there and do they affect your regional bag limit at all or are they counted completely separately?

winchester284
09-25-2015, 04:00 PM
I suggest you read the regs. You get a separate booklet when you purchase your tags so it doesn't effect your regional or provincial limit. You can have a max of 5 in your possession either sex. Annual limit is 15 I believe.

wideopenthrottle
09-25-2015, 04:08 PM
I suggest you read the regs. You get a separate booklet when you purchase your tags so it doesn't effect your regional or provincial limit. You can have a max of 5 in your possession either sex. Annual limit is 15 I believe.

cool thx..i did check the online version which can be a pain to sort through... sorry for being lazy...

ACB
09-25-2015, 04:38 PM
Where's Haida Gwaii, is it anywhere near the Queen Charlotte's.

winchester284
09-25-2015, 05:44 PM
Just to the left....

604ksmith
09-25-2015, 06:05 PM
Drive the main haul road which mimics the highway but cuts up the middle of the Island. From there, I had success hunting/harvesting in the collection of cutblocks that run North of Feather Lake to nearly Juskatla. Sorry but I can't remember the road name I used and Google Earth doesn't show anything either. But look it up on Google Earth, it's hard to miss, they just keep connecting to each other and look like one big blob in the middle of the Graham Island area between Charlotte City and Juskatla. Once you get a few cooler deer, and you will, I would start getting picky.

When picky, I suggest hunting the area around Juskatla mountain. It's not the easiest access, but there are some really good steep cuts that I found to hold some bigger deer. Also, you can get good viewpoints in the area and glass multiple cuts making your hiking easier. Once you find a deer, I suggest taking some good pictures of the surrounding features, I found I was constantly getting mixed up due to the terrain all looking the exact same.

Also, take more memory cards than you think you'll need. I took pictures like a paparazzi.

Hope this helps.