PDA

View Full Version : Elk calls. Which call do you prefer and why? ( market call )

hunterdon
09-25-2015, 12:44 PM
Although I have used a few elk calls in the past, I find myself wondering which elk call to buy now.
There seems to be so many choices out there and would like to narrow that selection down to a few.

So, which call do you prefer and?

Mostly interested in a bull/bugle call. A market call that might be a good choice for someone like myself with not a ton of elk calling experience.

Thanks in advance to all!

Seeker
09-25-2015, 12:54 PM
I prefer the use of a mouth reed as it allows you the freedom to both cow call and bugle. Primos has a decent line of reeds, pick one and practice your face off. For a bugle, I simply bought an open tube and then using the mouth reed, blow into it to amplify the sound. Sounds great to me, now if I could only convince a bull. The only annoyance I have found with the mouth call is the putting it in and out all the time. I am contemplating trying a reed call on a lanyard to cow call and once elk are located, put in the mouth call.

.264winmag
09-25-2015, 02:00 PM
Can't use them reeds, I don't gag on the internal reed calls and they work from time to time. I like two 'cow girl' calls one set to calf one to cow. For bugle I started using an internal reed model that has a little lever to adjust pitch/tone etc. it's super easy to use, just blow into it and your index finger does the rest. No botched calls in the heat of the moment. Can't remember brand though.

09-25-2015, 02:02 PM
I like the Cow Girl for a cow call, and the Power Bugle.

Elkchaser
09-25-2015, 02:59 PM
Have used reeds for years - give you the ability to make unique sounds most integrated reed calls can't. Use Rocky's bully-bull tube, but also use an old much smaller Carleton tube when call 'size' (as in the bull I'm pretending to be) matters less. Started using scissors to form reeds better to my mouth/palate a couple years ago and now cow calls are easy. Before that used primos cow girl - good call but need atleast two as once wet from condensation become a liability. I learned to carefully take apart and dry reed/call in 30 seconds. No more now with reeds. Carleton (and others) sell multi reed size packs. I prefer the 2.5. Lots of good cow hand calls out there but I like the ability to cow call with hands on bow or rifle. Reeds require lots of practice but once you get it, you don't lose it.

ACE
09-25-2015, 03:32 PM
'Abe & Son' ....... diaphragm/tube
Just find that a reed call is too one dimensional, doesn't have the versatility of a diaphragm. You can chirp, squeal, cow/calf call with the Abe & Son ....

rocksteady
09-25-2015, 04:04 PM
I spice it up. I pack at least 3 Primos sonic domes (red, white and blue), as well as 2 hoothies, 1 baby hoothies and a bull tube. (Carlton maybe)

one specific call call does not do it all. I have tried a call with no response, changed calls, and they went wild.

As elk chaser says trim them up so you don't gag.... ack!!!!