PDA

View Full Version : Kootenay October hunt.

jammer17
09-25-2015, 10:26 AM
Heading to Cranbrook for a mid Oct hunt. Going to look for some mules, whites, and maybe if where lucky an elk☺.
Not looking for anyone's honey holes. But maybe a point in a good area. Going up for 5 days and don't know how much hunting I'm going to get in this year.
Would like to make the most of my time up there.and info would be great. And the best for luck to everyone this year. Hope it's better then last year.

wideopenthrottle
09-25-2015, 10:39 AM
I will be there then too...so unfortunately I can't share any good info but I wish you best of luck

ravensfoot
09-25-2015, 12:13 PM
I did 3 seasons up the Bull River and Galbraith. Nice country but make sure you get up at 4am and get yourself into your spot before everyone else starts racing up and down the mountain. One of the busiest places i've ever been in. Hunters up there think nothing of sneaking right up behind you while you call in the bull Elk. Had it happen to me twice on the same trip (and yes the other hunter knew it was me calling and not another animal, he was hiding behind a 3 foot shrub 20 yards directly behind me in plain view).

Also, lots of Grizz up there too.

Good Luck on your trip.

Mikey Rafiki
09-25-2015, 01:19 PM
Lived in the area my whole life and I still haven't found a spot that doesn't have elk and deer.

In fact, if you're not looking for anyone's honey hole then you can't come here, because every square mile of bush is someone's prime honey hole :)

Look on some maps and pick a spot to explore. PM me if you have an idea and want an opinion, or go to the Bull River Indy 500.

ravensfoot
09-26-2015, 07:02 PM
Haha. That's exactly right. Bull river Indy 500. Vaarooom

Weatherby Fan
09-26-2015, 07:19 PM
I've hunted up the Bull River area a lot and it is very busy to say the least, seeing more and more Grizzlies every year, my observation is the animals are in a different place every year depending on weather, if lots of snow they will be lower, no snow and they're spread all over and still up real high and hard to hunt.
Go and explore as its a neat place.
WF

brutus
09-27-2015, 09:21 AM
i spent last season up in cranbrook (the full season)u dont have to go to the bull to find elk,any drainage around cranbrook have elk most of them 10=30 min away from town, locals i meet up there all shot there bulls within 30 min from town.i seen lots of elk ,making sure of 6 point before pulling the triger was a diferent story for me,best time for me was 10 oct to end of season had bulls screaming every time out,just could not close the gap.hit the dark timber 1/2 km or so from the roads voila no more crowds and lots of critters.My 2 cents take it or leave it.

jammer17
09-27-2015, 10:47 AM
Thanks guys much appreciated . have been doing some reading and sounds like alot of ppl head up bull river= lots of nosie i herd its very busy around there this time of year.with mules, whites, elk and moose open. would be nice to geting any of those taste treats in the freezer. going to be geting out of the truck and doing some hiking ( so one less truck on the road8)) but little worried about the grizz numbers herd their"s a lot of them this year. their's going to be two or three of us out. definitely not going out alone.

TrickleCharger
09-27-2015, 11:41 AM
I'm heading that way in the 2nd week of October, it will be my first time in the area and I'm hoping to find some elk but will be happy with my first whitetail or a mulie. I basically picked a spot on Google Earth that had some roadless drainages as well as driveable roads and road closures nearby, but not littered with cut blocks. My plan is to learn an area and return every year. At first I was pretty concerned about picking the right area but as I searched around on here it seems like the consensus is that the elk are everywhere, and the big name areas people mention are gong shows, so I stopped worrying and picked my spot. Good luck to you!

Lucky 7
09-27-2015, 01:40 PM
I'm going out into 403h for my LEH cow elk . pumped about it to say the least!