PDA

View Full Version : Moose found shot, abandoned

East Van Ray
09-25-2015, 05:44 AM
Http://www.kamloopsthisweek.com

Conservation officers are investigating a moose shot and abandoned in the Lac Le Jeune area.

Kevin Van Damme, a conservation officer based in Kamloops, said there is no lawful season for hunting moose in this region until Nov. 1, other than for First Nations hunters.

“We don’t know if someone was confused by the regulations,” he said.

Hunting season is open locally for four-point mule deer.

Starting Oct. 1 the rules for mule deer become less restrictive.

Van Damme said it is a typical season so far, with conservation officers investigating complaints of wildlife shot on private land — usually ranches — as well as near public roads.

Under provincial legislation, if private land owners have fenced their land and placed notices indicating private property at obvious entry points, it is up to the hunter to determine if they are on public lands.

Van Damme said a message conservation officers are trying to get out this year is for hunters to report honest mistakes rather than fleeing when they realize they’ve shot the wrong animal.

“We really encourage hunters to self-report . . . When someone makes an honest mistake, we treat it that way.”

If hunters kill the wrong animal, Van Damme said, they are supposed to report it to authorities and process meat in the normal way. Once cleared by conservation officers, the meat is given to needy families.

604ksmith
09-25-2015, 06:11 AM
If people are just shooting animals for the thrill and then leaving the area they're worse than poachers who might actually eat their meat, and need to be found. Target practice with a 3D model for $*&# sake.

Big Lew
09-25-2015, 07:00 AM
I don't know what the circumstances are for this incident, but over the years
I've come upon several animals shot and just left without any attempt at
harvesting the meat. I've also seen quite a few domestic animals obviously
shot, some right out in the open, or what could only be at very close range,
which leads me to believe it was intentional....some real sick sadists out there!

hare_assassin
09-25-2015, 07:02 AM
Indeed. Worse than poachers.

Glenny
09-25-2015, 07:28 AM
Where do these dooshers come from? Disgusting!

Weatherby Fan
09-25-2015, 07:31 AM
Must you take every possible opportunity to display your racism?

Give it a rest, man. You are embarrassing yourself, whether you realize it or not.

He's just calling like he sees it, nothing wrong with that or do you think it's ok that they shoot anything all year long ?

303savage
09-25-2015, 07:39 AM
Just find the bullet, match it to the gun and arrest the owner, happens all the time on T.V. :-)

Looking_4_Jerky
09-25-2015, 08:05 AM
He's just calling like he sees it, nothing wrong with that or do you think it's ok that they shoot anything all year long ?

Not to derail this thread, but yes, they have the aboriginal right to hunt and it is not restricted to our hunting season. Do I think it's ok? It doesn't really matter what you, BgBlkDog or I think on that one, it's protected by Sec 35 of our constitution.

Regarding POS that blatantly shot the moose, I'm just so very happy that I didn't witness you pulling that douche-bag move, because you'd be decomposing under a pile of leaves in the bush somewhere and I'd probably be writing this post from jail.

.330 Dakota
09-25-2015, 08:17 AM
How did this become a Native issue all of a sudden,,,,Im against the "hunting anything that walks all year round" attitude the some or many FN display,,,but nobody said this was a Native that killed this animal, so its pure speculation,,and not a very precise one either,,,as no evidence suggests that. Poaching is poaching,,,I dont care what color you are.
The CO says self report if youve made an honest mistake,,,well Ive seen guys when I lived in Ontario do that and then pay the price for it,,,they dont honor their word and that creates a situation where nobody will self report. I knew a guy that shot a cow moose (legal at that time in Ont) and realized the bullet had gone through the cow and hit a another moose, for which he did not have a tag. He field dressed both animals,,cut his tag, marked the spot and went out to call the CO.
Resulted in confiscation of his gun, truck, 3 years hunting priviliges, and $5000.00 fine. Ya self report an honest mistake,,get right on it. If thats the result of self reporting a mistake your gonna find animals in the bush..jus sayin

ACB
09-25-2015, 11:10 AM
Here Here well said. I know a guy that shot a 3 point buck that he thought was a 4x3 but the 4th point turned out to be a large piece of velvet dried out still on one side, an honest mistake and reported it to a CO. The CO said well that sounds like a honest mistake but we will take the deer. So the guy led the CO out to where the deer was already gutted, about 3-4 hundred yards away from a landing. The CO say's well you guy's drag him out to the landing ( through a foot of snow) and I'll see you there. When they get the deer to the landing the CO changes his story and say's that isn't a very big piece of velvet I'm going to have to charge you which he did to the letter of the law, well I'v seen photo's of this deer and that dried out piece of velvet was 3-4in. long and looked like a fork on the back antler. An honest mistake, and they didn't have to go looking for him , he came to them. If the CO had told him right a way that he was going to be charged, who do you think would of been the one dragging the deer to the landing. Ya know every time I been stopped out in the field they question you like you must be guilty something they try to cross you up, they look at you as being guilty of something even though no infractions in 46 years of hunting and fishing. So now when stopped by CO's it's yes sir, no sir, three bags full, that's all they get. I personally know a guy that was a CO at the time that he went to visit his CO son in region 5 and mistakenly shot a whitetail deer, at the time there was no season for whitetail deer in region 5-13. A whitetail deer shot out of season, NO Charges! What do you think would of happened to you or me?

argyle1
09-25-2015, 03:22 PM
30 years ago you might expect some leniency for self reporting a mistake. Sadly that attitude of the new style CO's went out the window about the same time as trying to befriend honest hunters to better glean information on the real bad guys. Today their attitude is that everyone is guilty of something.

walks with deer
09-25-2015, 08:46 PM
I found a bull last week with just the rack cut off small bull at that.
Seems this crap happens every year.

I reported of course seems a big lack of respect for game.

.330 Dakota
09-25-2015, 08:51 PM
I found a bull last week with just the rack cut off small bull at that.
Seems this crap happens every year.

I reported of course seems a big lack of respect for game.

Ya thats obviously not an honest mistake now is it,,thats a dirtbag,,good for you for reporting it

srupp
09-25-2015, 09:01 PM
Hmmm one would think that if first nations they would have taken the meat., its their right..the meat wasnt taken..that in itself wanton waste regardless of who they were.
Moose several weeks ago shot and dragged in bush..len butler was in paper reassuring everyone..no crime..first nation right.
Hope they found whoever shot killed wasted that resource
Steven

Ohwildwon
09-25-2015, 09:02 PM
How did this become a Native issue all of a sudden,,,,Im against the "hunting anything that walks all year round" attitude the some or many FN display,,,but nobody said this was a Native that killed this animal, so its pure speculation,,and not a very precise one either,,,as no evidence suggests that. Poaching is poaching,,,I dont care what color you are.
The CO says self report if youve made an honest mistake,,,well Ive seen guys when I lived in Ontario do that and then pay the price for it,,,they dont honor their word and that creates a situation where nobody will self report. I knew a guy that shot a cow moose (legal at that time in Ont) and realized the bullet had gone through the cow and hit a another moose, for which he did not have a tag. He field dressed both animals,,cut his tag, marked the spot and went out to call the CO.
Resulted in confiscation of his gun, truck, 3 years hunting priviliges, and $5000.00 fine. Ya self report an honest mistake,,get right on it. If thats the result of self reporting a mistake your gonna find animals in the bush..jus sayin

Did he Appeal it, or can you?

.330 Dakota
09-25-2015, 09:07 PM
Did he Appeal it, or can you?

Yes he appealed it,,got his truck back which was a new Duramax at the time,,lawyer cost him around 6k,,never got his gun back,still had to pay the fine, and no hunting for 3 years,,,total BS as far as Im concerned. The problem nowadays is that Anti-hunters are become CO's,,I actually had a CO in Ontario ask me why I would want to shoot an animal anyway,,I snapped on his ass,,

tigrr
09-25-2015, 09:36 PM
Found a spot one year that had 4 big mulie bucks in a pile. They had been caped and the head and neck were gone. Just a mile and a half down from a guiding service. All the meat walked away in coyote bellies. Never heard anything about it.(Viking AB)
A bull moose was shot locally and 1 quarter was taken, the rest was left, but there were witnesses.

86k20
09-25-2015, 09:47 PM
The couple Co's I have talked to out in the field have been very nice. No BS from them at all. Asked us a few standard questions and then we chatted for a bit about finding deer in the area and we were on our way with a " good luck guys" .

Dour
09-26-2015, 02:19 PM
co's are very nice to me. as long as your nice and not caulky they are cool . I talk with them all the time I have gotten lots of tips from them about hot spots anyways I hope they find the moose killer happy hunting and good luck everyone

Sofa King
09-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Hmmm one would think that if first nations they would have taken the meat., its their right..the meat wasnt taken..that in itself wanton waste regardless of who they were.
Moose several weeks ago shot and dragged in bush..len butler was in paper reassuring everyone..no crime..first nation right.
Hope they found whoever shot killed wasted that resource
Steven

except that some of them do go out and just shoot whatever they happen to see, with no intention of taking the animals.
I've witnessed certain individuals who bragged about how they go out before "whitey's" season starts and kill whatever they see, just so "whitey" can't get anything.
that was one of the most despicable things I've ever heard.
so, just because the animal wasn't taken does not mean it wasn't killed by an indian and it must have been a poacher.
but this incident isn't known one way or the other, just that a moose was found dead.

M.Dean
09-26-2015, 07:39 PM
except that some of them do go out and just shoot whatever they happen to see, with no intention of taking the animals.
I've witnessed certain individuals who bragged about how they go out before "whitey's" season starts and kill whatever they see, just so "whitey" can't get anything.
that was one of the most despicable things I've ever heard.
so, just because the animal wasn't taken does not mean it wasn't killed by an indian and it must have been a poacher.
but this incident isn't known one way or the other, just that a moose was found dead. Jeez, could have been a "Chink" maybe??? They seem to be mak'in front page news lately! And, I'm not real sure what "Crack House" you heard that rumor about "gett'in em before whitie" bull shit in, but you'd be wise not to frequent them places! Every hit off that Pipe, and there go's more and more of your "brain cells"!!!

frenchbar
09-27-2015, 03:30 PM
Jeez, could have been a "Chink" maybe??? They seem to be mak'in front page news lately! And, I'm not real sure what "Crack House" you heard that rumor about "gett'in em before whitie" bull shit in, but you'd be wise not to frequent them places! Every hit off that Pipe, and there go's more and more of your "brain cells"!!!
Some people dean are
So****ingclueless ...

ruger#1
09-27-2015, 03:32 PM
Some people dean are
So****ingclueless ...
X2. Just another not very thought out comment.

frenchbar
09-27-2015, 03:50 PM
Kinda like half of my posts ruger haha

ruger#1
09-27-2015, 04:10 PM
Kinda like half of my posts ruger haha No. Not your post or Marv's. Bro you know who.

M.Dean
09-28-2015, 06:32 AM
No. Not your post or Marv's. Bro you know who. You know, there was a time I'd never even dream about saying something as rude as what I've been doing in some of my recent comments, but that was a time when this site was devoted to Hunters, old ones and young ones, white ones and red ones, everyone loved this sport we call Hunting. Sure be nice if I could help new Hunters out again, maybe slip the odd guy a few of my hot spot deer areas, you know, hunt'in stuff! Seems lately, all's I've been doing is trying to protect my Heritage from people that don't seem to be on this site because of there love for Hunting, there here to promote hatred towards me? And jeez, I think I'm a real nice guy? But, I'm here for the long term, and hopefully we can return this Hunting Site back to what it was, a great place to read story's and look at pictures of guys doing what they love, "Hunting"!

ruger#1
09-28-2015, 07:09 AM
You know, there was a time I'd never even dream about saying something as rude as what I've been doing in some of my recent comments, but that was a time when this site was devoted to Hunters, old ones and young ones, white ones and red ones, everyone loved this sport we call Hunting. Sure be nice if I could help new Hunters out again, maybe slip the odd guy a few of my hot spot deer areas, you know, hunt'in stuff! Seems lately, all's I've been doing is trying to protect my Heritage from people that don't seem to be on this site because of there love for Hunting, there here to promote hatred towards me? And jeez, I think I'm a real nice guy? But, I'm here for the long term, and hopefully we can return this Hunting Site back to what it was, a great place to read story's and look at pictures of guys doing what they love, "Hunting"!I have been busting my arse every weekend. Trying to make money to go hunting. When I was single. I had money. Had camp set up last weekend. All I had was company. Didn't get a chance to take my rifle out of it's case. Well I did see some wildlife. Two mice.I let them go. This weekend things should be better. The blame game on this thread is stupid.

guntech
09-28-2015, 07:36 AM
Http://www.kamloopsthisweek.com

Van Damme said a message conservation officers are trying to get out this year is for hunters to report honest mistakes rather than fleeing when they realize they’ve shot the wrong animal.

“We really encourage hunters to self-report . . . When someone makes an honest mistake, we treat it that way.”

If hunters kill the wrong animal, Van Damme said, they are supposed to report it to authorities and process meat in the normal way. Once cleared by conservation officers, the meat is given to needy families.

They do not state there is absolutely no benefit for the hunter who made a mistake to report that he/she did it. At the least the hunter will be charged and fined... possibly more than one charge as well. An honest mistake does not mean you are not charged.

Report where the kill is and the meat won't be wasted.

Wolfman
09-28-2015, 09:40 AM
People gotta pay attention to the regs. Doesn't usually take a rocket scientist to figure them out.

M.Dean
09-28-2015, 02:45 PM
I have been busting my arse every weekend. Trying to make money to go hunting. When I was single. I had money. Had camp set up last weekend. All I had was company. Didn't get a chance to take my rifle out of it's case. Well I did see some wildlife. Two mice.I let them go. This weekend things should be better. The blame game on this thread is stupid. Any pic's of the mice??? Well hey,at least it's a hunt'in story!

Trigger Happy
10-01-2015, 01:28 PM
I agree with M Dean, I'm a newbie and been trekking for elk for 18 full days not a sign, I come on here for knowledge and stories, and as a new hunter I'm always sure of my shot so issues like this will never arise. I've also been told not to self report, that it's better to run and stay quiet. Don't know what I would do if put in that situation, they play nice but remember they didn't qualify for RCMP GRC

jessonml
10-01-2015, 02:21 PM
You know, there was a time I'd never even dream about saying something as rude as what I've been doing in some of my recent comments, but that was a time when this site was devoted to Hunters, old ones and young ones, white ones and red ones, everyone loved this sport we call Hunting. Sure be nice if I could help new Hunters out again, maybe slip the odd guy a few of my hot spot deer areas, you know, hunt'in stuff! Seems lately, all's I've been doing is trying to protect my Heritage from people that don't seem to be on this site because of there love for Hunting, there here to promote hatred towards me? And jeez, I think I'm a real nice guy? But, I'm here for the long term, and hopefully we can return this Hunting Site back to what it was, a great place to read story's and look at pictures of guys doing what they love, "Hunting"!

M. Dean - You helped me out with some good spots when I started hunting back in 2007 so thank you for that.

M.Dean
10-01-2015, 04:26 PM
M. Dean - You helped me out with some good spots when I started hunting back in 2007 so thank you for that. Thank you Jessonml! That's why this hunting site is here, to help hunters who really don't have anyone around with years of experience like some of the members on HBC. And, it's a good feeling knowing you helped someone out in finding a half decent area to hunt, instead of them spending two or three years like we did in a new area trying to figger out where the dam deer are? You made my day Jessonml, I Thank You again for that!!!

okas
10-11-2015, 12:24 AM
there was a lot of poaching going on in 7-35 this season only reported it as threaten buy these guys drunk late at night . Big mistake as the CO refused to work with the RCMP .. and nothing was done because of history with this CO and myself . The moose numbers are down in that area and killing the cows is all bad . they were reported by some one else as well and these people showed him the gut pile and the cows head .... nothing done even with the poachers names and trucks info. nice as they live in Ft, St, John and own a business /// must be a coffee shop head office is looking into it ?

Lucky 7
10-11-2015, 06:27 AM
down here in region 4-03 I have had guys tell me that the old fart elk hunt is still on?.also found lots of guys have no ideal what so ever about the regs. I passed up a large elk the other day due to the fact that I wasn't 100% sure it was a 6 point. Could of shot it many times but I have to be sure before I pull the trigger.

honeyman76
10-11-2015, 08:23 AM
Hi Okas,

You need to complain to head office about the CO doing nothing. That is quite serious and regardless of his history with you, he still needs to investigate the alleged offenses.

guntech
10-11-2015, 08:31 AM

A hunter who has made an honest mistake and self reports will be charged with an offense and subject to a fine and be recorded in the system. That is the way they are treated.

ruger#1
10-11-2015, 08:39 AM
A hunter who has made an honest mistake and self reports will be charged with an offense and subject to a fine and be recorded in the system. That is the way they are treated.
Yes this is a true statement.

okas
10-12-2015, 05:09 PM
yes.. the head CO is looking into this as we speak the shall i say. The bad one has no idea that the head CO and i are friends he was in the hospital when this went down. I took his call and got out before this went any further . So much for my hunt .
i was going to throw the hunting towel in . But no way just not hunting by myself next year as the head CO and i will be hunting together with his boys.