PDA

View Full Version : Elk Hunt gone Muley

exv
09-24-2015, 10:52 PM
Well looks like I won't be doing anymore mule deer hunting :lol:

Thursday afternoon on September 3rd as the skies darkened and the rain began to fall I had one thing on my mind, lunch. I was tearing the FSR up on the ol' grizzly 350, hauling some serious butt on that Japanese dream machine. I was just a few bends before the "honey hole". A series of chutes that i saw a beautiful doe by herself and missed on a smaller buck with a couple does the previous night. Sure as shit in a dead cat, big mule tracks bouncing up the side of the road. Its looks like maybe two of them?, i knew it was time to slow this rig down and get serious. As any archery road hunter worth his salt would do, i kept putting up the road :lol:. It was a good thing i did too cause there they were, a bachelor pack of 3 bucks. About 40 yards off the road they stood there looking at me over there shoulder, too curious for there own good. I noticed they where looking at me, but listening to my friend that had just gone by seconds before. I quickly crawled some distance and positioned myself about 25 yards from them. I was blown away they where still hanging out in the same area, but i had a gut feeling from there body language that they where about to spook. This dandy 2 point took a step, perfectly broadside in a narrow hallway. I grunted once and he stopped, with the Excalibur 405 shouldered that was a fatal mistake for this buck. I ranged the shot after and at 28 yards the 150 grain fixed blade broad heads packed a heavy punch. I eye balled the distance and held my 30 pin when i let the arrow fly. I knew it was a good shot, he made it maybe 20 yards before the

Very happy and thankful to have my first animal in the freezer, spent 12 days in the backwoods looking for elk with the bow and cant wait to do it again next year (with a compound albeit). I was very happy that i was able to harvest my first big game animal in a quick, humane manner. That's something i took and take very serious. I dont consider myself a road hunter, but it wasn't an opportunity i was going to pass up either. looking forward to selectively filling some more tags this fall **Bragging rights for whoever guess's closest on weight going into the freezer, no hooves, hide or head but still bone-in.**

EXV

ElliotMoose
09-24-2015, 11:07 PM
Sweeeeet!! Been meaning to grab myself a crossbow. Congrats on what will be a fine eating animal

hunter1947
09-25-2015, 03:14 AM
That's a very nice eating deer you are holding ,,congrats to you young man..

kennyj
09-25-2015, 10:13 AM
Congratulations on your first buck!! You have to take them where you find them.
Thanks for sharing your story.
kenny

wideopenthrottle
09-25-2015, 10:24 AM
my guess is 57 lbs ...what is the prize again...o ya "bragging rights"

itsy bitsy xj
09-25-2015, 11:16 AM
Good job! Congrats

Sitkaspruce
09-25-2015, 10:00 PM
Awesome, Congrats!!!

Thanks for posting your success!!

Cheers

SS

HarryToolips
09-25-2015, 10:50 PM
Wow way to go, looks like a perfect broadside shot! With bone in I'm gonna say 85 lbs..

Shortmag300
09-26-2015, 07:51 AM
Way to go I'm gonna say 98 bone in.

exv
09-30-2015, 12:47 PM
Way to go I'm gonna say 98 bone in.

Came in at 113 lbs, shortmag300 was closest. Front quaters where fairly developed

Xenomorph
09-30-2015, 12:56 PM
Mmmmm..eaaaaaat! :)

Awesome job, good shot.

M.Dean
09-30-2015, 07:01 PM
Now you see how addicting this sport can be! And that's a Good Thing! Congrats on your first Buck, and we'll be looking forward to seeing more of you on the site!