PDA

View Full Version : Elk hunting near chetwynd

RWilliamson
09-24-2015, 07:25 PM
Does anyone know of any good areas or contacts near chetwynd? My dad and I are hunting antler less elk or 3 point elk. Should we go to the Del Rio area?

todbartell
09-24-2015, 09:01 PM
yes, go there. Tons of elk and not too many hunters! :mrgreen:

RWilliamson
09-25-2015, 05:44 PM
Does anyone know any contacts or ranchers around chetwynd that would allow us onto their property/ranch?

Frango
09-25-2015, 06:10 PM
yes, go there. Tons of elk and not too many hunters! :mrgreen:
This is just mean .....lol.

Rhyno
09-25-2015, 06:20 PM
Does anyone know any contacts or ranchers around chetwynd that would allow us onto their property/ranch?

Do not take this as fact, but not too many ranchers begging for hunters to come kill their pesky elk. Lots of tall fences, those that have un protected hay do not usually have an issue till the winter. Tons of activity in the area but still lots of elk. Find a cut line, walk it a ways then dive into the thick stuff, the elk will be there.

Sitkaspruce
09-25-2015, 09:39 PM
Lots of elk in the bush, get out and go for a walk, get away from any access and look for areas that hold elk....and get as far away as u can from farms, everyone and their dog is hunting the farms.

Elk are not stupid and they move around a lot.

Good luck

Cheers

SS

cmarrie
09-26-2015, 12:28 PM
If you go to anywhere up that way, you will see still a ton of hunters, the above posters aren't lying there. You'll run into them on quads on every road and seemingly remote trail you can find. And all of them will tell you the same thing "haven't seen an animal in the week we've been here", "isn't what it used to be". From my one time up there to Chetwynd hunting elk I've learned that you can't road hunt elk if you only have a week to get one- different story if you work up there and drive the same road every day and get lucky- even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and a while as they say. We found that they bed up deeper into the bush, but not as deep in as you'd think. It can be a daunting task to choose where to hike into. Use the quad wisely- to find fresh track where they've crossed a muddy trail/road in the night, know the direction of an elk print- then park the quad and hike in after them. You'll be surprised at what you'll find in there- beds, licks, muddy wallows, etc. and it'll give you a place to focus on. Helps if it's frosty as the fresh beds stand out. Busy spot for sure- but elk get taken out of there. You'll see mule deer and whitetails too, so best to be up on the current regs for those. We didn't see any moose, but they were there from all the sign we found. Saw more than a couple black bears too. It's a beauty place to hunt, vast area with all the cutlines and roads- just need to resist the urge to road hunt and focus on where you've seen sign. good luck