PDA

View Full Version : Alexis Creek area and blockades??

sdurango41
09-23-2015, 12:29 PM
Heading to the Chilcotin next week for an LEH moose hunt and mule deer hunt. Wondering if anyone knows whether or not there have been any blockades or issues with access through Alexis Creek or along any of the FSR in the area?
Secondly, have the RCMP caught the ass***** that were vandalizing/torching vehicles with a 40 KM radius of there? We are a bit worried that if we don't leave someone in camp to watch the camp we may be hit. We will most likely be more then 40 KM away on gravel but don't want to take any chances.

srupp
09-23-2015, 12:47 PM
hmm anything inside the Tschilcotin territority is no go.period.
stay away from Fletcher lake.period.
certainly don't stay at Raven ..Palmer lake.
that doesn't mean you will be safe..if certain element that IS out looking for your stuff,,rifles, tent, alcohol,atv,anything..if given the chance..they WILL take it .I personaly don't chance it..sorry that's reality..

send ma pm and I will call if you want to share your hunting location...may be able to offer suggestions..

however...if you leave it...they WILL take it..

steven Rupp[...willing to put my name to that.

markomoose
09-23-2015, 05:10 PM
What about Meldrum Creek area srupp?Always see lotsa guys camped there

gcreek
09-23-2015, 06:13 PM
Chief Joe checks in here fairly often, why not ask him where he feels the boundaries are......

REMINGTON JIM
09-23-2015, 06:24 PM
Stay away from that area as steves says lots of trouble there ! :icon_frow RJ

RugDoctor
09-23-2015, 06:43 PM
I can't say enough bad about the area...however, there is a few of the worst apples in the slammer right now so you'll probably live through the trip....too many thieves to count though so slip in quiet and camp discretely. Personally, if I go out that way, I get what I need and get through. I won't influx a dime into that area if I don't have to, and stopping at the local store only allows them to scope your possessions. There's enough of my possessions out there without my consent,I don't think I need to volunteer anymore. Blowing the Sheep Creek bridge would be a start.....

probably not not what you want to hear but I'm just being honest. I hope you have great success on your hunt...if there's a moose left out there.

.330 Dakota
09-23-2015, 06:47 PM
I heard that last year they had 2 40ft refrigeration vans parked out there, and the hunting party was filling them with moose and whatever else walked by,,,,kinda disgusting if its true,,,,I have seen this shit in Ontario, and Region 6 here in BC

Morleystw
09-23-2015, 09:27 PM
Some one will have to die or beaten to the brink of there lives before something will be done about this.... Back in the day there were vigilantes ....just saying. IMOIMO

srupp
09-23-2015, 09:53 PM
Hmm Chief Joe doesnt have any influence over these individuals..he and the council and the rez all know who is doing what..he needs to lead..kick em off the rez..turn them in to RCMP..something like 6 attemped vehicle thefts in past 3 days.hmmm the comments alledgadly uttered at Raven lake after vehicle theft..wheres your vehicle whitey?
Meldrum lake..Mcintyre campground..best rainbow trout fishing in entire cariboo this year..and Till lake..both are vulnerable they are 30 minutes from wl detatchment..and 30 minutes..40 minutes to Alexis detatchment..quick side trip off hwy 20..2 minutes to Mcintyre..8 minutes to Till, or just the bavk way over Rudy Johnsons bridge...
I personally like Chief Joe BUT he has his hands more than full.For the time being nothing seems to have changed in past decade..if anything worse..the Tchilcotin supreme court decidion is done some think it didnt go far enough and help themselves others think it went too far..it certainly has created much greater friction from both sides.
Steven

tuner
09-23-2015, 10:01 PM
The place sounds like a lawless nightmare. Mogadishu in the chilcoltin.

srupp
09-23-2015, 10:27 PM
The place sounds like a lawless nightmare. Mogadishu in the chilcoltin.
No you are incorrect..the vast MAJORITY of natives are wonderful folks, truly delightful..I enjoy the wisdom of the elders.however a minority have encountered drugs and alcohol..they have a gang problem..the proposed mine would have provided jobs, education..dignity..some of the younger have seen a complete life of handouts..professional go to Ottawa to demand more..the atchilcotin decision will really adversely affect the whole area..5 major areas that are parks or new lands that are unavailable for the local economy.
The new Chilcotin government is hiring like crazy..but so far they dont have the money to run their new found property..unlike Oliver Osooyes that believes in hard work and enterprise..not the old Indiun way..begging..
Would I like to be stranded on that hwy 20 at night seeking help ? No..not because of the majority of nice honest natives..they are at home with curtains closed..the ones out at night are looking for trouble.
35 years never heard of someone, anyone that left Williams Lake..went to chilcotin west of sheep creek bridge..to borrow a vehicle to get home to the golf course..
Came down off Anvil mountain..cold tired hungry..natives from Nehimaia were on their moose deer hunt..invited Dave and I in for stuffed moose heart,, dark hot camp coffee and warm fire. .these wete the elders..still the same.A minority are giving the area a very bad rep. And its deserved there are incredible bad things done by a minority of very bad individuals.
Hope Chief Joe gets wisdom and help .
Love the gift Carey Price gave his comunity..a van so the girls and elders dont have to look for a ride nor hitch hike on the highway. Classy move Mr. Price..now work on your glove hand high..lol
Steven

Busterpayton54
09-23-2015, 10:41 PM
Sounds like they need an open season on thieves.

Ohwildwon
09-23-2015, 10:45 PM
The Media can be your, friend or fo....

Hopefully some media kid, "chomp-in at the bit", can pick up on this and get it out there, mainstream...

Unfortunately, anyone that's hired him or her, won't touch it...

Until that, "something", tips the balance...

Big Lew
09-23-2015, 10:55 PM
No you are incorrect..the vast MAJORITY of natives are wonderful folks, truly delightful..I enjoy the wisdom of the elders.however a minority have encountered drugs and alcohol..they have a gang problem..the proposed mine would have provided jobs, education..dignity..some of the younger have seen a complete life of handouts..professional go to Ottawa to demand more..the atchilcotin decision will really adversely affect the whole area..5 major areas that are parks or new lands that are unavailable for the local economy.
The new Chilcotin government is hiring like crazy..but so far they dont have the money to run their new found property..unlike Oliver Osooyes that believes in hard work and enterprise..not the old Indiun way..begging..
Would I like to be stranded on that hwy 20 at night seeking help ? No..not because of the majority of nice honest natives..they are at home with curtains closed..the ones out at night are looking for trouble.
35 years never heard of someone, anyone that left Williams Lake..went to chilcotin west of sheep creek bridge..to borrow a vehicle to get home to the golf course..
Came down off Anvil mountain..cold tired hungry..natives from Nehimaia were on their moose deer hunt..invited Dave and I in for stuffed moose heart,, dark hot camp coffee and warm fire. .these wete the elders..still the same.A minority are giving the area a very bad rep. And its deserved there are incredible bad things done by a minority of very bad individuals.
Love the gift Carey Price gave his comunity..a van so the girls and elders dont have to look for a ride nor hitch hike on the highway. Classy move Mr. Price..now work on your glove hand high..lol
Steven

Well put Steven. As I've mentioned earlier, I've been going into the area between
Gang Ranch and Lee's Corner for about 50 years, and during the latter half of that
time I've seen native's from Riske Creek and Redstone stripping cars in broad daylight,
just daring anyone to do anything about it. I've seen vandalized vehicles and been
told of many thefts from both hunting and fishing camps, but I've also had some very
pleasant interactions with many others from all the reserves between Anahim and
Riske Creek. Just last week was one which I earlier spoke of, but I was very lucky
that the bad bunch didn't get wind of my un-attended camp while I was out hiking
to get help. It also helped that I chose to camp along a major log haul route that
sees trucks going by every few minutes. I chose that road because I knew just how
many eyes watch and report about everyone traveling it, both recreationalists and
known non-working individuals. I will be going back in a couple of days, but I won't
be going alone, and I won't be leaving my camp without an armed guard.

buck dog
09-24-2015, 07:16 AM
Hi guys,
This is my first post, but I would like to thank everyone for their questions and answers which have been invaluable for a newbie.

My family and I are heading up to Alexis creek area for the hunt Oct 1. We are planning to stay at Bull Canyon park. After reading this thread and a few other I am concerned about the safety and security. Should we be re thinking our where we are staying?

Last year we stay with Dan And Jan at Cariboo resort, which was great. Last year we had zero problems.

What at do you guys think?

flyboy
09-24-2015, 07:33 AM
What I think is cut and paste this discussion and send it to the WL RCMP detachment. Follow it up with a phone call to inquire about your personal safety and what you can expect for RCMP response if you experience theft or threat to your personal safety. Maybe also call the band office and ask the same questions.
Would be very interested to hear the response.

604redneck
09-24-2015, 07:57 AM
What I think is cut and paste this discussion and send it to the WL RCMP detachment. Follow it up with a phone call to inquire about your personal safety and what you can expect for RCMP response if you experience theft or threat to your personal safety. Maybe also call the band office and ask the same questions.
Would be very interested to hear the response.
you wont get a response if there is a theft.

sdurango41
09-24-2015, 09:21 AM
WOW!! Wasn't quite expecting this response to the problems happening in that area. It sounds like this is a major problem and no one (RCMP/ the band/Chief Joe) are doing much of anything. We were planning on camping in the area that we have for the last several years but now I think we will be going farther back into the bush. That really sucks as we will already be dragging trailers 40 or 50 KM down the gravel but if it means protecting our camp then that is what we will do. We typically then come back out to hunt deer near Till Lake but that does not sound like a good option this year. The chance of being hit go way up as we are closer to Alexis. Unless we can find a really good camp spot well of the beaten path and leave a guy in camp to guard. Which really sucks for that guy. We will be calling the RCMP up there today to ask some very pointed questions with regards to this issue and what they plan on doing about it. I guess the alternative is to get our LEH moose way back in where we will start and if we are not seeing much in the way of deer and deer sign then pull out and head south of Williams Lake somewhere. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions to Till Lake area south of Williams lake? We will be dragging a couple of trailers. Not looking for any ones hot spot but an area where there are decent deer numbers. We like to put the miles on the boots if need be.

Buck Dog: You better check to see if Bull Canyon is even open to camp. Every year we go by there the gate is locked and you are not able to camp there. I wouldn't anyways as from the sounds of it you are right in the hot zone to be hit!!

Thanks

goatdancer
09-24-2015, 10:34 AM
We used to go fishing to Bella Coola in late Sept-early Oct and Bull Canyon was always closed.

srupp
09-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Hmm wouldnt stay at Bull Canyon myself..others correct usually gated..

Police will be diplomatic at best, really surprised if they said more than ..unfortunate events could happen anywhere..

I am getting ready for a moose hunt..helping and teaching a rookie couple of moose hunters the basics 101....maybe 201 course..we are EAST of the Pond.
You folks that are actually going out there send me a pm and include a ph number..I will call today..this evening..too many areas...waaaaaay to much imfo to finger type on a tablet.

Cheers
Steven

Stone Sheep Steve
09-24-2015, 11:41 AM
Chief Joe Alphonse is a good man. Contact the office before making any plans.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-24-2015, 11:43 AM
Steven

Chief Joe received a standing ovation after his presentation at the BCWF convention. Wish I had it recorded to play back for everyone.

srupp
09-24-2015, 12:16 PM
Hmm wasnt there but the nonsense with day night hunting 365 days a year continues.no accounting of how many cow moose or bulls..how much is enough.waste of ove rcaught fish..
How many city vehicles end up on his reserve or very close..within walking distance.
He seems like a nice guy..what did you expect him to say at the meeting?
No hunting or going through the new tchilcotin lands to get to hunting or back..

Thats reality on the ground here.what words? Cant hear those words..the actions of some are louder than those words..
Certainly an invited guest like Chief Joe..someone taped or videod it.?
For the record..I personally have only spoken to Chief Joe 3 or 4 times I like the guy and he has always been reasonable...yet the issues prevail .
It aint easy being the Chief....
Steven

.330 Dakota
09-24-2015, 01:29 PM
I honestly believe if we blockade HWY 20 and not let any FN pass into Williams Lake, and no supplies out to the rez,,,it wouldnt be very long until Chief Joe got his shit together,,,,right now he has NO INCENTIVE to act like a leader and kick the asses of the offenders. If your an Indian from the rez and caught in town,,jail time,,,it would be resolved pretty quicly I think, and the bad apples wouldnt be welcome on the rez anymore as they bring reprecussions with them,,,no different than the USA embargo on Cuba,,,same theory,,tow the line or suffer

frenchbar
09-24-2015, 09:14 PM
You guys make it sound Like your going into downtown detroit after midnight looking for hookers.grow a set and go get a moose for Christ sakes lol

Big Lew
09-24-2015, 09:26 PM
You guys make it sound Like your going into downtown detroit after midnight looking for hookers.grow a set and go get a moose for Christ sakes lol

Not much moose sign anywhere I was last week, and I was around many swamps and sloughs.

frenchbar
09-24-2015, 09:31 PM
Not much moose sign anywhere I was last week, and I was around many swamps and sloughs.

Maybes there's a buck or two to bag ....

lip_ripper00
09-24-2015, 09:33 PM

Still too warm, check out the road back of Alex graham lookout

Big Lew
09-25-2015, 07:03 AM
Still too warm, check out the road back of Alex graham lookout

Was up in the area after birds...or a 4 pt if it walked by.

Glenny
09-25-2015, 07:45 AM
Seriously though, if they put up blockades there would be nobody to rip off.

srupp
09-25-2015, 05:36 PM
Hi guys,
This is my first post, but I would like to thank everyone for their questions and answers which have been invaluable for a newbie.

My family and I are heading up to Alexis creek area for the hunt Oct 1. We are planning to stay at Bull Canyon park. After reading this thread and a few other I am concerned about the safety and security. Should we be re thinking our where we are staying?

Last year we stay with Dan And Jan at Cariboo resort, which was great. Last year we had zero problems.

What at do you guys think?

Hmmm nice to chat with you this afternoon.
Hope the well intentioned advice? Makes sense? And for the reasons discussed.
Good luck and contact me if you need any help.
Cheers
Steven