PDA

View Full Version : Best wool pants

johnnylaw
09-23-2015, 11:04 AM
Just wondering what wool pants people are having luck with and best places to buy?

Foxtail
09-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Mine are the Columbia Gallatin camo wool. Fantastic pants. I have the hooded monarch pass jacket as well. Can't be beat for the price.

RackStar
09-23-2015, 12:23 PM
60 bucks for Swedish army wool pants at surplus store, from what I have heard the Swedish ones are best quality, they are grey. Beats columbia wool blend. These are comfy from 5 to -25. One of my fav hunting peices. And one of the cheapesr

gamer
09-23-2015, 01:59 PM
Codet is recommended by lots of people and made in Canada. It is now labelled as Big Bill. I can not find them local but seems to be lots in the states. The surplus ones are great if you fit 34" or less. Hard to find in anything bigger. I have seen them at Westleys in New West and Gorilla on Broadway.

Fella
09-23-2015, 02:18 PM
East German army surplus. I wore them in a 6 hour downpour last weekend and hardly got wet. Quiet as heck too.

Iltasyuko
09-23-2015, 05:50 PM
Filson. Not cheap tho.

ajr5406
09-23-2015, 06:12 PM
East German army surplus. I wore them in a 6 hour downpour last weekend and hardly got wet. Quiet as heck too.

Where did you buy them?

TreeStandMan
09-24-2015, 10:55 AM
Mine are the Columbia Gallatin camo wool. Fantastic pants. I have the hooded monarch pass jacket as well. Can't be beat for the price.

+1 on the Columbia wool pants. Not too long ago they were half on the Columbia website.

Fella
09-24-2015, 12:44 PM
Where did you buy them?
Providence Supply in Ontario although I think he recently went out of business. Too bad cuz he had a heck of a lot of surplus gear.

MichelD
09-24-2015, 12:48 PM
There were some decent looking ones at 3 Vets last time I was there. Small sizes though. I found some 36-inchers but I have two pairs already or I woulda bought them.

Phone this store too. If I remember right they have a selection in the upstairs part of the store.

Westley Military Surplus  

Army & Navy Surplus Shop

Address: 525 Front St, New Westminster, BC V3L 1A4
Phone:(604) 521-8883

ajr5406
09-24-2015, 01:42 PM
Awesome - thanks MichelD. Ill check them out.

There were some decent looking ones at 3 Vets last time I was there. Small sizes though. I found some 36-inchers but I have two pairs already or I woulda bought them.

Phone this store too. If I remember right they have a selection in the upstairs part of the store.

Westley Military Surplus  

Army & Navy Surplus Shop

Address: 525 Front St, New Westminster, BC V3L 1A4
Phone:(604) 521-8883

ACB
09-24-2015, 05:09 PM
I'v got a old pair of Thermo-King wool pants, we just called them fishermen pants . The guy's used them when it was cold and wet. I don't use mine any more. I'v got a good pair of fleece and if it's cold enough also a pair of wool Stanfields the light one's not the grey ones.

ditch donkey
09-24-2015, 05:37 PM
I have the columbia wool set and it is great for colder weather hunts or still hunting. I bought the first lite kanabs this year for a lighter warmer weather option and they have been great so far.

BromBones
09-24-2015, 08:34 PM
Nothing beats Filson. The heavyweights for cold and the whipcord pants for warmer temps.

Pricey but they'll outlast anything else you'll buy.

BgBlkDg
09-24-2015, 08:49 PM
Yup, if I could have only one type of bush pants, they would be Filsons whipcords, fitted like *bullbuckers* pants and worn over merino longs in colder weather. I have two pairs and love them and consider them worth the cost.

BromBones
09-24-2015, 09:14 PM
Yup, if I could have only one type of bush pants, they would be Filsons whipcords, fitted like *bullbuckers* pants and worn over merino longs in colder weather. I have two pairs and love them and consider them worth the cost.

I think recently they may have stopped producing them? No longer listed on the website.

BgBlkDg
09-25-2015, 07:22 AM
Could be, they produced the USFS-style whipcord jacket in limited production a few years ago, but, it was pricey as any good woolen is now. I wanted one of these from about age 12, but, my budget at that time was stretched. so, it was not to be.

I doubt that we will ever see woolens of Filsons quality again, most just cannot or will not pay the price and some synthetics now are pretty damned good. I have pants of a light softshell material from Wildthings in the US, cost huge, but, for early season alpine hunting, nothing I have ever seen are equal, they dry on you after rain, weigh about 2-3 of whipcords and wear like iron.

I have enough gear for use until I am 90+, so, wont sweat it over what is discontinued. :)

johnnylaw
09-25-2015, 09:08 AM
I have a pair of Columbia, find them nice and warm but a little bulky. Also had problems with them tearing around the waist band when I was packing out an Elk. Have a pair of Big Bill like them more than the Columbia however they seem to be wearing out prematurely. Where is the Best place to buy Filson wool? Anyone have any experience with LL Bean woollies?

BromBones
09-25-2015, 05:30 PM
Buy direct from Filson website.

gamer
09-25-2015, 07:17 PM
Filson has an outlet store at the Burlington outlet mall if you ever shop across the border. Had some great deals on double Mackinaws last time I was there.

Dog_River
09-28-2015, 04:36 PM
I don't have any Filson wool pants but have lots of Filson wool liners, vests, hats, and a great Tin Cloth Packer coat that I love. You can't go wrong with a Filson garment. They will last a lifetime which mean they are NOT expensive. My next Filson will be a Double Mackinaw coat.

Dog_River

Sleep Robber
10-29-2015, 01:21 AM
Bannick Burns

boxhitch
10-29-2015, 02:28 AM
Woolrich is another good brand
Just bought a pair at Fishers Hardware , but they were old stock and the last ones on the shelf. A sign of the times ?

Codet is good, now renamed Big Bill marketed out of Michigan but still made in Canada apparently.
The Woodsman model is the heavy weight, I would buy another set in a heart beat if I could find them.
Contact Big Bill they will tell you a vendor in your area.

Tenacious Billy
10-29-2015, 11:07 AM
Bought some 'Big Bills' from the army surplus store in Kelowna. Canadian made, heavy wool and lots of pockets - I think I paid about $80.00.....great pants.

johnnylaw
10-29-2015, 07:07 PM
Just bought a pair of big bills. They had two different pants one was the green pants with lots of pockets, these ones are recycled wool. The pair I got is 80 % Merino wool and are 18oz. Had the green ones before and am hoping the new ones will be better

buck nash
10-29-2015, 07:48 PM
I bought a nice comfy pair of 100% merino wool dress suit pants fr value village for $10. They're great! They have nice deep pockets and move really well in the bush. I might sew a cargo pocket onto them. And they're thin enough that i dont sweat much in them.

TARCHER
10-29-2015, 07:52 PM
Filson whipcord wool are outstanding

Tenacious Billy
10-29-2015, 10:12 PM
Just bought a pair of big bills. They had two different pants one was the green pants with lots of pockets, these ones are recycled wool. The pair I got is 80 % Merino wool and are 18oz. Had the green ones before and am hoping the new ones will be better

Where did you get these at?...How much?