PDA

View Full Version : Using a bicycle in 6-06?

MichelD
09-23-2015, 11:00 AM
Headed to 6-06 for a moose hunt on Saturday.

I've been to 6-08 before which is nearby so I have a general idea of the topography . I was wondering if it is worth bringing my bicycle. I like to bike hunt if it is possible. Not on anything crazy steep though. If it is flattish or with rolling hills I can do it.

Do you think it's worth bringing my bike?

two-feet
09-23-2015, 04:51 PM
I would say certainly, great way to cover ground. Where abouts will you be hunting?

MichelD
09-23-2015, 04:55 PM
Haven't been there before. Will camp at Taltapin lake and take it from there.

todbartell
09-23-2015, 05:22 PM
I'd take it, and a patch kit :mrgreen:

honeyman76
09-23-2015, 05:58 PM
I am wondering, how do you secure your rifles on your bike or are you using a shoulder strap and just taking the one rifle.

Daybreak
09-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Google earth can help you here.

While the topography can be somewhat tricky to discern visually, the elevation indicator in the lower right corner of the screen gives you an accurate indication of rises and falls. Find the road or trail you are interested in and run the cursor along its path while watching the elevation indicator. It will tell you exactly what to expect.

MichelD
09-23-2015, 06:10 PM
I am wondering, how do you secure your rifles on your bike or are you using a shoulder strap and just taking the one rifle.

I have my rifle unloaded over my shoulder on a sling and my daypack in a basket on the rat trap.

honeyman76
09-24-2015, 07:09 AM
I ask because it would be a great way to hunt grouse too. But the problem would be, where to put the second rifle.

MichelD
09-24-2015, 08:45 AM
I ask because it would be a great way to hunt grouse too. But the problem would be, where to put the second rifle.

You could use some kind of "U" shaped brackets across your handlebars I guess. I've kind of lost any interest in grouse myself. My hunting partner foams at the mouth at the sight of them and keeps us in plenty of campfire grouse anyway.

wideopenthrottle
09-24-2015, 08:52 AM
I've kind of lost any interest in grouse myself. My hunting partner foams at the mouth at the sight of them and keeps us in plenty of campfire grouse anyway.
same for me...started with grouse next was ducks....once you have spent the day blasting ducks and geese, grouse hunting seems "uninteresting" for sure...then large game is a hoe nutha lebowl...perhaps a few unsuccessful years big game hunting might rekindle the love of grouse hunting but I hope that dosent happen...heheheh

MichelD
09-24-2015, 09:04 AM
same for me...started with grouse next was ducks....once you have spent the day blasting ducks and geese, grouse hunting seems "uninteresting" for sure...then large game is a hoe nutha lebowl...perhaps a few unsuccessful years big game hunting might rekindle the love of grouse hunting but I hope that dosent happen...heheheh

Exactly. I asked Mrs. last night if I should bring the 20 gauge for grouse and she said "nah." She much prefers ducks and geese and they are a challenge to hunt. Will get at them after the moose trip.

ajr5406
09-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Try this...

http://www.havefunbiking.com/hfbnews/newspublish/newspublish.php?ty=headlines&news=Gun-Racks-Ain%27t-Just-for-Pickup-Trucks-Anymore-&news_id=140