PDA

View Full Version : tunkwa lake area for hunting with atvs

srthomas75
09-22-2015, 07:06 PM
I wanted to ask others on here about the terrain around Tunkwa lake. I will be staying at the lake and hunting from there at the end of October. None of us have hunted that area and wanted to try something different this year. My question is about atv use. Is this area best suited for atvs or is there decent hiking? Normally we would bring them but am trying to find out if it is worth it for this trip. thanks

Ride Red
09-22-2015, 07:16 PM
The area is accessible by atv/vehicles with a few select areas to hike into without the worry of someone driving in. It is one of the busiest areas to hunt with close proximity to Kamloops, Merrit and of course Logan Lake. Nice area to cruise, just don't expect to be alone anywhere.

russm86
09-22-2015, 08:39 PM
I can't seem to find anything now, but I thought they were trying to restrict/ban the use of ATVs throughout the entire Tunkwa area, not just for hunting but in general for everyone?

lovemywinchester
09-22-2015, 08:54 PM
Check out this link

https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dka/OtherLinks/TunkwaDuffyORV/Tunkwa%20Duffy%20Area%20brochure%20PrintReady.pdf

Bring your ATV for sure. There are lots of miles to cover around the area. Tunkwa park is closed to motorized vehicles as well as the surrounding grasslands but there are main roads left open. Lots of nice areas to hike as well but stay OFF the grass lands.

Sofa King
09-22-2015, 09:20 PM
next world record will come out of the tunkwa area.
........................or Princeton.....or Clearwater.

bigredchev
09-23-2015, 04:34 AM
... ya world record of hunters on one road trying to all hunt at the same time.

stay on all designated trails and be VERY careful around corners as its a shit show all hunting season long, especially on the FSR's

srthomas75
09-23-2015, 05:03 AM
I kind of figured it will be a busy area.

RackStar
09-23-2015, 05:42 AM
would not be my first choice

sharp shooter
09-23-2015, 09:42 AM
If your hunting tunkwa lake, try and get to the back side of the mine that's up there :) and hunt that area

howa1500
09-23-2015, 09:53 AM
Very good point for all when driving in that area!

skibum
09-23-2015, 11:19 AM
It can be really busy, but if you are out there away from peak times (eg. thanksgiving) you can find your spots.

sdurango41
09-23-2015, 12:03 PM
You can access the area by vehicle and ATV. Correct about the grasslands. You are not allowed to drive on them. It is busy up there but if you get out of the truck or off the ATV and put some miles on the boots then you can steer away of most people. We are up there mid November every year and see a few people/ deer near the roads but when off in the bush is when we see the way more animals. Lots of great deer but the big boys stay hidden until the rut forces them to become a little bit more exposed. Good luck

Deer_Slayer
12-06-2015, 12:21 PM
Was just up there end of November and it seems ATVs are not allowed anywhere. Maybe further from Tunwa Lake Resort, but close to resort area seems they are banned. Even read they won't let you unload them at resort unless they have a canopy of some sort on 'em...like the Rhinos etc side by side units..maybe I'm wrong.

jamesvtr
12-06-2015, 03:58 PM
you can use atv's i was there beginning of nov it wasnt even busy i met some friends from the island. i met them last year there and it was packed so its hit or miss on being busy you cant leave from tunkwa lake resort because there driveway goes through park property. you can use the quads down the fsr but you cant ride down the street to it.

srthomas75
12-06-2015, 04:53 PM
That's funny. We never did take them. But was told we could ride right from the cabins

308 win
12-07-2015, 09:15 PM
Been there lots ,you can ride ride from the cabins to where ever you want hunt . there's side by sides and quads heading out right from the cabins everyday . Good luck with the deer hunting tho ! More quads then deer ....