PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing First ATV

GoodPartner
09-22-2015, 10:42 AM
Hello,

I recently moved to Salmon Arm and I have been beating my truck up a little too much for my liking while exploring. I have made up my mind that I am going to purchase an ATV. I have read many of the older threads on here but figured it wouldn't hurt to look for some more recent info. I will be using it for the following.

1) Primary use for hunting activities. Point A to Pint B stuff. Use it more now when I am learning areas, less when I find areas I like.
2) Mainly weekend use on logging roads or pre-existing ATV trails. Not looking for anything too extreme (Don't care about power/speed/how it looks). Just want something dependable that won't break down or get stuck. I like simple things.
3) I would like it to fit in my truck (2012 Dodge Ram 1500 short-box) though I would be willing to purchase a trailer if needed. Back of truck seems simpler?
4) I plan on often having a passenger. My son is 9 years old and growing like a weed. Prefer a safe comfortable seat for him.

Does it matter if I look for a new or used one? I imagine people are pretty hard on them so I was thinking new would probably be a safer bet. I think my budget could afford a new one but I don't want to go crazy with a bunch of bells and whistles I don't need. If it is worth it to pay more for a better machine I will.

The other thing I want to know is a good dealer in the Okanagan area. I'd be willing to drive a few hours or more to get the right one so Kamloops, Vernon, Kelowna etc. are all considerations. I would travel further to get it if was worth it.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

-Robb

ACE
09-22-2015, 10:56 AM
There are some good deals out there on used quads ....... Kijiji
Honda's are what I like, primarily because they are still a gear drive, as opposed to the belt drives of the others ....
If looking used .... divide the kilometers by the hours. This indicates what the previous owner may have used it for .... take a quad owning friend with you when you go to look ..... ask lots of questions. eg. was this machine a mud bogger, etc.
Other quad owners will help you out with ideas too .....

Buck
09-22-2015, 11:39 AM
If your planning to double a lot then you should for safety reasons get a two up bike.Which means Polaris Canam or Arctic cat.Two ups are longer so will probably not be ideal for a short box truck.
Two ups are about 1/3 more expensive as well.My hunting partner has the older 700 twin polaris two up and he has had no mechanical issues with it just some electrical stuff but it has never left him stranded .That bike with the new 570 should be a fine machine.This is not the touring model which is cheaper as well.Personally i am a yamaha guy but i seldom double.

.264winmag
09-22-2015, 04:50 PM
Honda, then Yamaha IMO. If I can pack an entire elk on my old honda fourtrax I'm sure a non-one up or whatever is not needed, one of them removable back rests or why?

Carrollizer
09-22-2015, 05:26 PM
Anyone know anything about those GIO's? They're super cheap, but I assume its because they're made in china and are pieces of shit.
Any input?

honeyman76
09-22-2015, 06:03 PM
Well, I ran into two older hunters last hunting season in a Suzuki Samaria. It was -10 and blowing snow. I stopped to talk to them and one thing led to another regarding quads. They told me that they parked them in the garage in the LM and haven't used them. The Suzuki can be insured driven on the highway and is warm and comfy come winter.

Gun Dog
09-22-2015, 06:07 PM
They're great until they break and then you can't get parts.

Most full size ATVs are 7' long. The best way to fit them into a short box is a ramp like this:
http://www.torchrivermfg.com/pics/main.JPG

If you want to double up the a two-up is the only legal way. It's longer and wider than a regular ATV. An ATV trailer is light and easy to move by hand.

Buying used is tricky because-- it seems -- people only sell an ATV because it's beat to crap. It took me months to find one in the LM.

For puttering around 500cc is all you need. My next ATV will have power steering. It's so nice.

If you look around you can find old new ATVs. You might find a 2014 at a dealer out there. 2015s are on sale too.

Elkchaser
09-22-2015, 06:44 PM
If you have any trusted buddies in Alberta I'd suggest you ask them to keep an eye out for you on kijiji. Lots of guys will be offloading stuff now that the summers over and the price of oil doesn't seem to be rebounding anytime soon. Should be some decent opportunities in the next few months.

.264winmag
09-22-2015, 07:37 PM
I need those ramps just to make room for others necessities! And all these years I've been breaking the law doubling on my quad! That's not like me? Then again I'd like to see someone stop me with all the blood/fur and guns on it lol. Same with this whole atv registration/license plate talk, I feel the same about that as the long gun registry...

recoil
09-22-2015, 07:47 PM
I would look at a honda pioneer, same width as a quad but will be much nicer to ride in once your boy gets a couple years older and wants to drive. Either that or plan on buying a second quad down the road. Holeshot had them on for $9999 which is only about $2500 more than a kodiak or foutrax, will last forever its a Honda...

GoodPartner
09-22-2015, 08:49 PM
Thanks for all of the info.

Based on what I have read so far I am looking at these models (or something comparable in a 2-up or side by side):

1) Can-Am Outlander L Max
2) Polaris Sportsman touring 570
3) Arctic Cat TRV 500
4) Honda Pioneer 500

My priorities are a safe ride for my son and something I can get from home to the trail easily.

If anyone has any other comments on these particular models (or something I'm missing) it would be appreciated.

srupp
09-22-2015, 09:28 PM
Hmmm love my honda..reliable.period.i trust my life on it and you can too....no guff.
Hunter181..Brandon has a side by side Can am..was pretty spiffy..but Bling..it went every place my 500 went.
Steven

Murder
09-22-2015, 10:01 PM
Go Yamaha Grizzly and never look back

Mike

Buck
09-22-2015, 11:10 PM

Based on what I have read so far I am looking at these models (or something comparable in a 2-up or side by side):

3) Arctic Cat TRV 500
4) Honda Pioneer 500

My priorities are a safe ride for my son and something I can get from home to the trail easily.

If anyone has any other comments on these particular models (or something I'm missing) it would be appreciated.

I like the sensation of riding a motorbike which i do not get with a side by side.Too much like driving a vehicle for me.
Not sure how robust the touring model two ups are i would get the heavier duty versions YMMF

.264winmag
09-23-2015, 05:01 AM
If this doesn't sell you on Honda it's beyond me! I call it the Lawnhonda, attachments extra $.
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h325/Doubleheader2/E583769E-066E-4096-9D9F-B0FF01DDF070.jpg (http://s1104.photobucket.com/user/Doubleheader2/media/E583769E-066E-4096-9D9F-B0FF01DDF070.jpg.html)

ACE
09-23-2015, 06:49 AM
.264 ..... nice 300!
I'll be riding my '90 350 4Trax to-day ...... bought new in Nov. '89
Longevity ....... 25 years. Veteran of many hunts .....

.264winmag
09-23-2015, 07:01 AM
Ya got 3 years on mine lol. Best quad ever built. Had mine for 8 years, 2nd owner. Change oils every 4 years, hasn't had a choke since I've owned it, wife cooked the starter cranking over with stop button engaged lol. Kickstarts right up with no choke. Can't kill em.

SPEYMAN
09-23-2015, 07:51 AM
A side by side would be my choice. Safer for the son, allows for better vision.

honeyman76
09-23-2015, 08:33 AM
http://www.atv.com/blog/2015/08/2016-polaris-ranger-ev-li-ion-polaris-pursuit-camo-preview.html

I always wondered about these. Aside from being way expensive, has anyone here tried one? The battery power options sounds great to me as its quiet.

snakeplain
09-23-2015, 09:57 AM
hey guys, i have a light blue 1998, 300 honda 4x4, winch, very nice shape, all original including tires, $2000. you can have her, wife would like update with power steering, pm for pics, honeyman would look good on this oldie, pm if your're into it.

Phil
09-23-2015, 10:52 AM
I have a Honda Rubicon 500 that has never let me down. I've put 14000 kms on it and have doubled all three of my kids and adults with a Quadrax rear seat with no issues. I like the new Pioneer but question the ease of mounting gun racks on it. I would stick with an ATV.

Angus
09-23-2015, 12:03 PM

3) Arctic Cat TRV 500
4) Honda Pioneer 500

If you plan on adding storage boxes, rifle boot, etc., I'd forget the Polaris. I picked up a 500 Sportsman two years ago, and although I like how it rides, I find the plastic racks to be a bit of a joke. Those compression plugs that are supposed to anchor down any attachments don't work with a damn. Last weekend I had a nice view of the gun boot falling off with rifle still inside (fortunately). Also, I should have paid more attention when I bought it: failed to notice that it did not have a pull start should the battery run down.

I'll be selling it next fall to get a side by side.

My $0.02.

GoodPartner
09-23-2015, 02:52 PM
After doing some looking into I have gone with the Honda Pioneer 500 side by side. I think it makes the most sense for my needs. That wasn't what I had in mind when I started this thread so thanks again for all of the useful suggestions.

.264winmag
09-23-2015, 05:02 PM
Beauty, you'll love having the extra room to load up game on the back:) And coffee cup holders while cruising with the kid! Can't go wrong with a Honda.

RiverRunner
09-23-2015, 06:02 PM
Better choice. ...and in a few years when your son becomes a teenager and young man... You guys won't look awkward riding buts to nuts....