PDA

View Full Version : Question for all the houndsmen

toshiba40
09-22-2015, 09:46 AM
So I have a question for all you hounds men. We ran a pack of hounds when I was young, before all the modern technology. Do the new GPS tracking collars work virtually everywhere or are they limited by location terrain(ie: mountains etc.). Thinking about getting back into the hound world and the new technology fascinates me. Any information experiences good or bad would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Foxton Gundogs
09-22-2015, 10:37 AM
I'm no expert by any means but I would think the GPS collars run of a satellite so unless underground they would work pretty much anywhere. That being said I am sure there are many here who will be able to give you the ins and outs

Elkaholic
09-22-2015, 04:47 PM
For the most part you will have gps reception anyplace as long as your close enough. You will find some holes and depending on the terrain you can loose them when they are in the holes. But generally speaking you know where your dogs are or you are trying to get to a place where you can hear/get reception. You still need to use your brain, just you have a little more peace of mind with the GPS.

srupp
09-22-2015, 09:20 PM
Hmm pm chilcotin hillbilly..he uses them on his dogs...seems pretty darn good on the occasions I have hunted with them..

Cheers
Steven