PDA

View Full Version : Apparently One Only Needs 1 Day To Get an Immy

Vladimir Poutine
09-21-2015, 08:54 AM
Opening day yesterday and the kids are up from the Coast. Our son is having shoulder surgery next week and will be out of commission for some time, so opening day is his only hunting day this year. He and I teamed up and started checking all the usual spots. Lots of Region 5 hunters have invaded so it was somewhat busy. In an area that we have always checked out we find a winter road from last year. Road is deactivated so off we go for a hike. Wind is blowing like hell right at us so perfect conditions. Huge slash piles everywhere as always. So much waste:x I get a view of the block and look to the timber line. My eyesight is failing but something odd, not black, just not right. I point it out to my son and he glasses it and he says "MOOSE, 2 of 'em!" I can't see them now but I head back to the vehicle to get rid of our trusty mutt. He's not a barker but I don't want him getting in the way. I walk back and sonny is on top of a small slash pile looking hard. I stay back. The moose are a solid 300 yds out. Be sure I say, be sure. Wait wait and more wait.

At this point previous things come into play, which contribute to the overall story but don't need to be explained. Suffice to say, I gave him my gun, he takes one shot with that and down goes bullwinkle. I'm glassing just before he goes down and I see something much bigger than a 2 point or spike. Shit, have we done something stupid in the heat of the moment? He heads out to the moose and I stay back. The wind is howling but I hear him yell. Turns out to be a 5 x 2. Much bigger than a true spike. I have no idea how he could see it but he says he was sure. I guess that Lasik procedure really works.

No way to get a line to the moose, no way any quad can get there, and no way to get a vehicle remotely close. So while he and his sis do the fun work, gutting and quartering. I head back and get what I think we'll need. A 35 year old external aluminum frame pack does the job. He packs the quarters out through ugly terrain, water and mud. Takes 5 hours. None of us can carry the weight so he does it all. "I shot it so it's up to me to get it out." Great kid. No photos as he's got them on his phone but he does post on the FB Hunting and Fishing site. All so tired but what a great hunting adventure for our entire family.

300H&H
09-21-2015, 09:32 AM
Takes 5 hours. None of us can carry the weight so he does it all. "I shot it so it's up to me to get it out." Great kid. No photos as he's got them on his phone but he does post on the FB Hunting and Fishing site. All so tired but what a great hunting adventure for our entire family.

Good for him ! Congratulations on accomplishing something I can not seem to do.