PDA

View Full Version : New hunter, hunting grouse. Need some advice.

CanadianBaconPancakes
09-21-2015, 12:30 AM
I started hunting this year and figured I would go grouse hunting first. The first 2 times out I found nothing, Last 2 times I found places were I been finding groups of grouse but they spook and take off not to be seen again when I try to follow them. I got one on Saturday while it was in the air but only because I had seen some in the same spot earlier that day and was ready to go when it came flying overhead.

Any tips when hunting with No dogs and with a shotgun. I been sticking close to the gravel or rocks in cut blocks where I noticed berry's and such and try to flush em out by walking close, kicking sticks, throwing rocks or just making noise. Does anyone go into the deep brush to look for them or is that a loss cause? Do you guys walk around or just stay in one area and wait?

Thanks for the tips.

itsy bitsy xj
09-21-2015, 12:53 AM
I always find them at the side of the road or trail. Most are on the ground while others are a few are in low branches

Big Lew
09-21-2015, 02:42 AM
You don't mention just where in BC you're hunting....
If in the Interior or Cariboo walk along the edges of willow and other
deciduous thickets bordering either dry or wet swamps, or graveled
roads. They tend to come out both morning and late afternoon for
gravel to fill their crops. Along the coast and Islands they can be
found in and around creek-beds as well as graveled roadways.
Wild Crab-apple orchards are a great place to look as well.
In all places be alert and ready, especially if they're ruffed grouse,
because they can explode in flight. Watch them carefully to see if
they land in a tree. Be very mindful of your surroundings if you decide
to follow them into thickets....it's very easy to get 'turned around'
and become lost quickly when concentrating on chasing after them.

Marlowethelazydog
09-21-2015, 05:12 AM
Your doing the right stuff. Flushing grouse is rewarding and fun - and frustrating. Remember when you hunt ruffed grouse on foot you walk lots and shoot little! Always hunt the habitat first. What region are you in? Try to hunt the edges of the habitat. Pushing into the thick may sometimes be necessary but getting a shot can be difficult because of the dense brush. Good job being new and getting a nice wing shot! Umm what else... Don't wait for the perfect shot - it doesn't happen - make sure you learn your shotgun's ranges with your load - you might be waiting too long to shoot.

theoutdoorsman
09-21-2015, 07:24 AM
It depends on the grouse species you're hunting. For ruffed grouse look for lower areas with a mixture or deciduous trees such as aspen or alder on grown in logging roads. Areas by river/creek valleys are a good bet. Ruffies usually go for longer flights so its best to let lead fly rather than track them. For blues/spruce they can be a little higher in elevation in the carnivorous areas/cutblocks/ backroads/trails. They rarely fly more than 20yards so hitting them on their perch is pretty easy (50 slingshot rocks later they will still think they are invisible) . Its good to practice shooting clay pigeons at off angles (get into skeet?). Never hurts to have a semi auto or double gun either. Semi 20ga with #6 nickle plated is my staple.

caddisguy
09-21-2015, 07:33 AM
You are already doing better than I am this year. I have spotted about 15 ruffed grouse since rifle season started. Shots fired 0. They are buggered off before I had a chance.

.330 Dakota
09-21-2015, 07:56 AM
You don't mention just where in BC you're hunting....
If in the Interior or Cariboo walk along the edges of willow and other
deciduous thickets bordering either dry or wet swamps, or graveled
roads. They tend to come out both morning and late afternoon for
gravel to fill their crops. Along the coast and Islands they can be
found in and around creek-beds as well as graveled roadways.
Wild Crab-apple orchards are a great place to look as well.
In all places be alert and ready, especially if they're ruffed grouse,
because they can explode in flight. Watch them carefully to see if
they land in a tree. Be very mindful of your surroundings if you decide
to follow them into thickets....it's very easy to get 'turned around'
and become lost quickly when concentrating on chasing after them.

And always carry the venerable .375 Ruger,,,its the right gun for the job,,Gatehouse says so....lol

honeyman76
09-21-2015, 08:10 AM
Persistence. Plus go higher in elevation and find some really dumb spruce. They tend to hangout while you plink away.

elch jager
09-21-2015, 09:59 AM
Follow quietly to where you lost sight of the bird and sit down to listen. They will cluck nervously for a while if they haven't gone too far. If you can't hear your bird, slowly and quietly follow another 50 ft or so in the direction they were headed and sit for a while longer. Once you are still and quiet for 20 minutes or so, it's like they forgot you were even there in the first place. They may try and return to the road if they still need more gravel. If close enough, you can hear when they glide back down. Usually they will drop to the forest floor and walk back to the road, although not always. Often they will regroup if there was a flock and your one flyer will return with a few friends. Follow, sit and listen has accounted for lots of my birds, especially if the area is road hunted a lot.