PDA

View Full Version : cheam?

chrismcd
09-18-2015, 08:47 PM
hey ive only been up to mt cheam in chilliwack in mid summer and it was extremely busy. any one been to that mountain range during september-oct? do the hikers still come ? was hoping to find a nice bear up there ,maybe even a little blacktail. :)

jeremy84
09-18-2015, 08:54 PM
if there is no snow there will be hikers

chrismcd
09-18-2015, 08:58 PM
yeah i figured.. i knew it was a pipe dream that i might be able to get into alpine without hiking oh well i did just get my boots repaired.

BCHunterTV
09-18-2015, 09:12 PM
3 bears seen last weekend,

CHEAM
09-18-2015, 09:18 PM
There are better places better close by.

Jelvis
09-18-2015, 09:20 PM
If I was you I wouldn't stop hunting because other people are using trails.
Chilliwack Valley is teaming with wildlife. Blacktail hunting is beyond world class.
Bear, grouse, and fishing galore for steelhead and coho.
Don't worry about seeing others on a trail once and a while.
You are hunting and looking for a deer. They might even say, " Wow we just saw one up the trail, a lil buck.
Bambo, you carry on and start looking real hard.
These trails are on Crown land and anyone can hike a trail on Crown.
-- Elk mtn rd is good, Depot Creek is my favorite. Absolute best blacktail country you'll see anywhere in North America, the semi-open slopes intermingled with deer habitat that will have your eyes peeled for the frisky Blacktail.
Sumas Mtn is good if you know where to go. Thurston Mtn is one mountain you can access from Chilliwack Lake Road, it's a dandy spot for black tails.
Lots of enjoyable hunting up Chilliwack Lake valley if you like to hike around on slopes and ridges.
Jelly -- Chilliwack Lake area is top of the line deer hunting, never mind the bears.

chrismcd
09-18-2015, 09:29 PM
There are better places better close by.
please share haha

awesome jelvis ill have to look into some of those
i enjoy hiking into camp for weekend hunts but would be nice to know a couple spots that i can go for just an afternoon type of thing

jeremy84
09-18-2015, 09:32 PM
i would try the foley creek fsr

BCHunterTV
09-18-2015, 09:38 PM
dont waste your time on Foley.... hike the Cheam trail... or Mercer Mnt

Jelvis
09-18-2015, 09:54 PM
The Chilliwack River valley driving up from the Vedder bridge is a sight to behold folks.
The river is absolutely top notch salmon and trout fishing river. The bush beside it and all the way up passed Chilliwack Lake has blacktail trails. Some are quite well defined by mega use and are easy to notice when they come together.
You can drive up and hunt bear, or deer at Tamahi for a closer spot to drive but lots more.
There are some provincial jail forest camps up the road as you go from the Vedder Crossing, just hunt outside of any private property and your good to go.
Like I was saying Depot Creek and Thurston Mtn are awesome spots for the deer hunter or the bear hunter.
Jelly -- Driving up or down beside the gorgeous Chilliwack river is a bonus just to see.

yamadirt 426
09-19-2015, 09:08 AM
I hiked mt cheam with my bow 2 yrs ago sept 9th. Got my first grouse and deer that day. I did not get the deer on the hike but below on the way out. The grouse i got near the parking for the hike. I did however get a lot of looks. People asking why i had it. They all told me there are no animals around. Its funny because i was the only one that noticed the bear on the hike up.