PDA

View Full Version : Hunting on Bicycles?

sawmill
05-02-2007, 04:14 PM
So how about those F#&king oil barons eh.Just wondered how many of you are going to switch over to electric 4x4`s or bikes to hunt this year?I hear all the greenies on T.V. going on about transit and bikes or walking as alternatives but that shit just don`t work if you don`t live in the city.I`m in Kimberley and I ain`t peddaling 15 miles to work and back everyday with my tools on my back.Yet in Van. theres all kinds of Hummers and Jeeps vans running around with one guy in it,oil C.E.O`s know they got us by the balls.G.Bush the other day refered to domestic oil supplies,meaning the giant amount they get from us.Crap,it`s only gonna get worse come July.:mad:

TPK
05-02-2007, 04:16 PM
My Wife wanted me to take her some place expensive for dinner ...so I pulled into Chevron ....:lol:

Alpine85
05-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Here's the answer for high gas prices....
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Alpine85/boots.gif

That being said, When I was driving through Kamloops the other day I passed a fellow HBC member on one of these rigs... looked good with numerous 90 inch sheds strapped on the back :lol:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Alpine85/THEDUNAHEESPEEDWAGON.jpg

horshur
05-02-2007, 04:41 PM
So how about those F#&king oil barons eh.Just wondered how many of you are going to switch over to electric 4x4`s or bikes to hunt this year?I hear all the greenies on T.V. going on about transit and bikes or walking as alternatives but that shit just don`t work if you don`t live in the city.I`m in Kimberley and I ain`t peddaling 15 miles to work and back everyday with my tools on my back.Yet in Van. theres all kinds of Hummers and Jeeps vans running around with one guy in it,oil C.E.O`s know they got us by the balls.G.Bush the other day refered to domestic oil supplies,meaning the giant amount they get from us.Crap,it`s only gonna get worse come July.:mad:

Hey---buddy that came from the UK thinks gas is cheap---he's driving a V8 Rover and happy. Perspective is everything.

MichelD
05-02-2007, 04:42 PM
See my pic on the corner there?

Thats my ATV.

Last year I was riding around 7-11. Ran into two guys in a big Ford F-250 diesel.

"It's not like it used to be around here," the driver said over the thrum of his engine. "Nothing moving around. We haven't seen a thing."

I'd already seen nine deer that morning from my bike.

steveo32
05-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Alpine dont let my secret out, that is the best quad you can get especially when it is not your arms getting the work out:twisted:

steve

hunter1947
05-02-2007, 05:06 PM
I don't worry about the gas prices ,i will be hunting grassy mt for a couple days near were you live. :lol: hunter47.

dana
05-02-2007, 05:13 PM
I wonder how many hunters are going to be selling the ol' gas burners and buying one of these. 8-)
http://www.eberlestock.com/SheepHunt06035sm.jpg

http://www.eberlestock.com/J104%20packing%20elk%20xsm.jpg

Gateholio
05-02-2007, 05:17 PM
I used to do it all the time.

In some areas (flatter/rolling) it's a gereat way to hunt. IN much of the areas around here, wiht lots of mountains, you have to pick your bike hunts, otherwise it's Huff Huff Huff up the trail, stop and catch your breath, and wheeze while tryign a shot, whiel the deer laughs at you...:lol:

twoSevenO
05-02-2007, 05:26 PM
I used to do it all the time.

In some areas (flatter/rolling) it's a gereat way to hunt. IN much of the areas around here, wiht lots of mountains, you have to pick your bike hunts, otherwise it's Huff Huff Huff up the trail, stop and catch your breath, and wheeze while tryign a shot, whiel the deer laughs at you...:lol:

Remember to train on it in the off season .... oh and quitting smoking helps too :lol: :lol:

MichelD
05-02-2007, 05:53 PM
I've used it in region 5 and 7 and a bit in 8 where I can go within my capabilities.

I'm not that hardcore that I just want push it uphill.

dirtyharry
05-02-2007, 05:54 PM
I am putting my faith in the whole biodiesel thing. It's good for our farmers and will never run out. Hopefully soon the government will mandate 20% so it can reach a volume where it becomes economical. Plus remove taxes on the canola based portion of fuel.

Rob

Jimbo
05-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Used the bike one summer trip for scouting a new area. The family stayed comfy in the camper while I explored. Worked out pretty good. Ride the bike uphill till too tired.... push it till I get my breath back... ride uphill again.
2 hours up the hill, and 10 minutes down !!

SUAFOYT
05-02-2007, 06:51 PM
[quote=horshur]Hey---buddy that came from the UK thinks gas is cheap---he's driving a V8 Rover and happy. Perspective is everything.[/quot

Perspective? Look at a map. The UK to say Germany is like a day trip to the coast from where you are. Living in the UK with a V8 Rover? Turn the thing around on a street over there and you're at the pub.

The 'Hummer'
05-02-2007, 07:02 PM
My Wife wanted me to take her some place expensive for dinner ...so I pulled into Chevron ....:lol:
I'll stop in this fall on my way to Bowron Lake, if I get a draw:wink: . I have card lock access.:lol:

todbartell
05-02-2007, 07:11 PM
I might go out this SUnday for a bike ride, and I will bring the gun :)

ianwuzhere
05-02-2007, 07:25 PM
I have a 49cc yamaha bws. max speed on straight stretch is 65-70km with my skinny butt on it. Last year i put on lil dirtbike tires- dropped the top end over 5km/hr, hehe. But did manage to take it huntin. just driving down logging roads. lots quieter, cheap to run.
Sure I sound like a big geek- ha a scooter-but all dau from light to dark $5 in gas. Just park my truck at beginning of dirt road, unload and the way i go.
A smaller quad (400cc) would be the best bet for cruisin around all day and not having to eat beans all week so you can drive your pickup around come the weekend.
cheers!

horshur
05-02-2007, 07:30 PM
[quote=horshur]Hey---buddy that came from the UK thinks gas is cheap---he's driving a V8 Rover and happy. Perspective is everything.[/quot

Perspective? Look at a map. The UK to say Germany is like a day trip to the coast from where you are. Living in the UK with a V8 Rover? Turn the thing around on a street over there and you're at the pub.

He lives here not there---it's 5.00 a litre there.

JMac
05-02-2007, 08:01 PM
I Was never very good at road hunt'n anyway...

tufferthandug
05-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Funny this thread came up today. I just bought a quad gun rack for my mountain bike a few hours ago. Region 5 has a shitload of skid trail hunting from all the logging.

30-06
05-02-2007, 08:40 PM
my friends dad hauls that Bio Deisel.And his Semi Truck Runs Off Of It.I Dont Think He Notices The Diffrence Really

BANG!
05-02-2007, 08:49 PM
See my pic on the corner there?

Thats my ATV.

Last year I was riding around 7-11. Ran into two guys in a big Ford F-250 diesel.

"It's not like it used to be around here," the driver said over the thrum of his engine. "Nothing moving around. We haven't seen a thing."

I'd already seen nine deer that morning from my bike.

good point Michel - I'd wondered about that myself. I've practically ran into deer when out in the woods on my bike ... you approach them quickly and quietly. How do you carry your rifle when riding? Do you just sling it over your shoulder .... or I saw that Tufferthandug a few posts back mentioning gun racks for his mountain bike! Really?

bsa30-06
05-02-2007, 09:03 PM
good point Michel - I'd wondered about that myself. I've practically ran into deer when out in the woods on my bike ... you approach them quickly and quietly. How do you carry your rifle when riding? Do you just sling it over your shoulder .... or I saw that Tufferthandug a few posts back mentioning gun racks for his mountain bike! Really?

I was wondering the same thing.

Tufferthandug, maybe you could post a picture or two of your set up.

Will
05-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Road Hunting for spring Bear is Excellent from a "Bike" you can cover a hell of alot more ground then on foot.....
You glide right up to them in virtual silence 8-)

Just make sure your brakes work :lol:

Brambles
05-02-2007, 09:58 PM
I built a trailer for my bike last year, used it to bike into a spot with a buddy hunting last year. I welded the hitch right to the bike and built it for strength, only drawback is that since the trailer attaches to the bike behind the rear tire it makes the bike do wheelies unless you are on it. We had at least 150 lbs on the trailer in this picture, harder than hell to pedal on even the slightest incline and you really use your brakes coming down hill, with this much weight you end up pushing more than pedaling unless its more or less flat or down hill.

Also took it into some road closures with only my day gear on it and it was much easier to handle then with 2 - 10 day packs, sure made coming out in the evening a breeze.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0892.jpg

The Hermit
05-02-2007, 10:08 PM
The logging roads around here are tough to ride on with the gun. I have a set of u-shped racks for the handle bars for the gun... I found the whole experience less than enjoyable in the steep country. shure got some looks riding that deer out though!!! LOL

tufferthandug
05-02-2007, 11:17 PM
I was wondering the same thing.

Tufferthandug, maybe you could post a picture or two of your set up.

It's a pretty simple set up. I just bought a pair of rifle holders for a quad. The brackets mount right on your handlebars.

I'll be heading out bear hunting next week, I'll try and remember to take a picture.

hunter1947
05-03-2007, 04:16 AM
I built a trailer for my bike last year, used it to bike into a spot with a buddy hunting last year. I welded the hitch right to the bike and built it for strength, only drawback is that since the trailer attaches to the bike behind the rear tire it makes the bike do wheelies unless you are on it. We had at least 150 lbs on the trailer in this picture, harder than hell to pedal on even the slightest incline and you really use your brakes coming down hill, with this much weight you end up pushing more than pedaling unless its more or less flat or down hill.

Also took it into some road closures with only my day gear on it and it was much easier to handle then with 2 - 10 day packs, sure made coming out in the evening a breeze.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0892.jpg I saw the same set up in elk hunting in the cranbrook are a few years ago . They had there trailer made of aluminum ,they took there gear in on the first ride then when they got an elk they deboned it and took it out ,he said just make sure your not in an area where there are steep hills ,then it works great. hunter1947.

MichelD
05-03-2007, 07:11 AM
I just sling it over my shoulder.

Someitmes I go down some pretty overgrown trails and the rifle crossways across the front would hang up.

But having said that, for riding on logging roads and trails in region 5 and 7, I'd love to have a rifle holder on the handlebars too.

dryflyguy57
05-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Use my Kona all the time . When hunting with another biker we lash the bikes together , three points in the corner of each frame with the bikes a couple of feet apart and standing upright . Any branches you can find will work with some modifications and some good lashing rope . Halibut groundline works great if you can find some old gear . Once the bikes are secured you can lay the deer etc. over the frames and each have a handbrake as you push your kill towards the truck , boat etc . We hunt the mainland inlets for blacktails and find this is the way to go as we sometimes end up a few miles from the boat . I find it next to impossible to lash a deer on a single bike and make it easy to push .

model88
05-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Use my Kona all the time . When hunting with another biker we lash the bikes together , three points in the corner of each frame with the bikes a couple of feet apart and standing upright . Any branches you can find will work with some modifications and some good lashing rope . Halibut groundline works great if you can find some old gear . Once the bikes are secured you can lay the deer etc. over the frames and each have a handbrake as you push your kill towards the truck , boat etc . We hunt the mainland inlets for blacktails and find this is the way to go as we sometimes end up a few miles from the boat . I find it next to impossible to lash a deer on a single bike and make it easy to push .

We actually tried doing that trick, we had biked into a road closure that is an excellent spot for late season whitetails. Shot a couple smaller bucks, tried to lash the bikes and bucks together.

Young and stupid I guess, didn't work worth a damn, wound up deboning them, thankfully we had good packs and pushed our bikes the 10k back to the truck.

Maybe it was becouse I had my Specialized then, didn't buy my Kona till a few years later...lol

browningboy
05-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Huntings a vacation, so when it comes to gas, who cares, have fun it only comes around once a year for a few trips. I'll burn a sh@tload in my grizzly, put some wear on my boots and have some fun. Really its only money, and you can't take it with you, so have fun!:)

tufferthandug
05-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Huntings a vacation, so when it comes to gas, who cares, have fun it only comes around once a year for a few trips. I'll burn a sh@tload in my grizzly, put some wear on my boots and have some fun. Really its only money, and you can't take it with you, so have fun!:)

I didn't rig up my bike to save money, LOL. I wanted it for quieter, quicker access. As well as a higher success on seeing trophy game. I just recently sold my quad because of lack of use, not gas conservation. Also in my case the quad made it tough to get off and walk some days. When using the bike, walking can almost be inviting...

Every year I spend a small fortune on hunting and I never regret it.

David Heitsman
05-08-2007, 08:33 PM
I had drawn a goat tag in Region 4:22 one year (1995?) for an area at the headwaters of the Quinn Creek off the Bull River. Was not familiar at all with the area so chartered a 182 for an hour out of Cranbrook to get a lay of the land. Saw mountains that held goats and the next day drove into the area we had seen from above only to be met with a road closure.

I knew the mountain that I wanted to get to was another 10 miles in so we went back to Cranbrook and rented two mountain bikes and road and pushed our way in there early the next AM.

I ended up shooting a goat only to have it kamikaze down an area where I was completely unable to access. So in disgust I notched my tag and started to ride out. Quietly came around a corner and drilled a whitetail
right on the path. Quartered him out between the two of us into our packs and road out down the 10 miles to the truck. I managed to hit some of those water bars pretty hard and while I didn't go head over heels
I did manage to slip off the pedals and hit my seat pretty hard. The next day I was hurting pretty bad and finally checked myself out only to notice this huge hemmorage / bruise between my legs etc. (Especially the etcetera.)

Spent the rest of that trip shooting muleys on Koocanusca Lake from my well padded Zodiac!

GoatGuy
05-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Did 40 kms on the weekend on the mountain bike with a pack on.

My @ss hurts but other than that I'm OK; the dog was in rough shape the next day though.

When it comes to road closures mountain bikes are the only way to go.

Need to get one of them big cushy seat with springs on it is all

todbartell
05-08-2007, 09:22 PM
get an old woman seat and also replace the seatpost with a suspension seatpost. like Gatehouse told Fallenrock at Haggisfest, your ass will get used to it

:lol:

boonerbuck
05-08-2007, 09:26 PM
get an old woman seat and also replace the seatpost with a suspension seatpost. like Gatehouse told Fallenrock at Haggisfest, your ass will get used to it

:lol:

Gatehouse knows from experience....:lol:

rollingrock
05-09-2007, 12:27 PM
To hunt on a bicycle I think you might need something like this that can carry over 300 lbs in the back:lol::

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/bushandbarbara.jpg

MichelD
05-09-2007, 12:56 PM
I boated in to an inlet one time with two other guys, 3 bikes and one kid-trailer to hunt up the old logging road.

The trailer bottomed out with the quartered out bear one guy got on the river flats so I put a hindquarter of a bear into a backpack and cycled 2 km back to the camp with that. Cycling through those potholes impacted my spine, or did something like that and had to go to the chiropractor.

He was a little incredulous when I explained how it happened.