PDA

View Full Version : Elk Hunting around Nakusp/Arrow lake area

jaeger
09-17-2015, 07:19 AM
Hi all,
We are going to Nakusp area to pick Mushrooms for ourself at the begining of next week, i never hunted in the area before but thought I would bring the Rifle and check out the area for Elk or White tails. I am not looking for someones honey hole just some general area where one might find an Elk/Whitetail We are primarily picking on the west side of Arrow lake and around the Nakusp hot springs Area.
Any tips are appreciated!
Thanks Cheers jaeger

.264winmag
09-17-2015, 10:54 AM
Never hunted right close to nakusp but there's racks all over the house shops etc. Elk I'd say find some creek/river bottoms. Wt could be anywhere.

.264winmag
09-17-2015, 11:01 AM
West side of lake has some elk but pretty busy out there last year, I only seen wt does. Old elk sign down low, freshest up high, way up.

thepitchedlink
09-17-2015, 03:28 PM
They are around, but very hard to find. Best way would be to not bring the rifle...then you'll see one for sure!!!

.300WSMImpact!
09-17-2015, 09:20 PM
tough hunting thick and steep, pick a drainage hike and hunt, have fun, you look hard enough you will find some

Busterpayton54
09-17-2015, 10:58 PM
Don't be surprised to see more bears than elk. I lived there from around 09-11. I wasn't much into hunting, just hiking, sledding and dirtbiking in the mountains. Besides the herd always hanging around arrow park, I only saw one in the bush and it was near Wilson lake and one in my yard
Bears on the other hand are everywhere. I mean it. I honestly don't recall a day in the mountains that I didnt see at least one black. One day was 5 griz and 6 blacks or vise versa.

the head of kuskanux seems like a good spot.

jaeger
09-18-2015, 06:50 AM
thanks for the info guys! I thought about going up Kukanax FSR and check out some of the drainages.

markathome
09-18-2015, 08:30 AM
I've hunted that area (closer to the ferry) for a few years now and recently (last 4-5) the elk population has been on a steady climb. I've tried the east side of the lake (up high) and although there is lots of sign - I have yet to lay eyes on them during the season. Summer herds stroll through every year and the numbers sure feel like they're going up.

Good luck. I really love that area. Lots of places you can drive really high and hike into the sub alpine.

buddyrip
09-18-2015, 10:42 AM
fresh elk liver and chanterelle mushrooms and onions, mmmmmmm!

jaeger
09-18-2015, 08:11 PM
fresh elk liver and chanterelle mushrooms and onions, mmmmmmm!

I can taste it already lol

.264winmag
09-18-2015, 08:45 PM
I'm far from an elk calling/hunting expert, maybe this has something to do with the lower population in west Koots. Most of our bulls have come in silent, just because you don't get an answer doesn't mean they're not on their way. If it feels like a good spot with good sign be patient. One did come in screaming, pretty much committed suicide. Cow call has been more successful also. Usually I only try the bugle as last resort after 1hr or so of cow calls.

jaeger
09-18-2015, 09:44 PM
I'm far from an elk calling/hunting expert, maybe this has something to do with the lower population in west Koots. Most of our bulls have come in silent, just because you don't get an answer doesn't mean they're not on their way. If it feels like a good spot with good sign be patient. One did come in screaming, pretty much committed suicide. Cow call has been more successful also. Usually I only try the bugle as last resort after 1hr or so of cow calls.

good to know thanks for the info winmag!