PDA

View Full Version : So Clayton Stoner is being charged for poaching

adriaticum
09-16-2015, 11:20 PM
He is being charged for his grizzly kill.
Apparently he is not a resident of BC.
He was out of the province for more than 6 months.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/metro/hockey+player+charged+with+unlawful+grizzly+hunt+c entral/11369438/story.html

MB_Boy
09-17-2015, 12:07 AM
All else aside .....the reporter throws this in?? :roll:

Stoner’s shooting of the five-year-old grizzly affectionately known as Cheeky draws immediate comparisons to the case of an American dentist charged with the illegal trophy hunting in July of a 14-year-old male lion named Cecil, outside Zimbabwe’s Hwange National Park in Africa.

Lastcar
09-17-2015, 01:44 AM
Tough to argue the case if accurate. Seems pretty black and white, either the dates line up or they don't.

adriaticum
09-17-2015, 05:49 AM
I sure hope he is not paying any taxes here

M.Dean
09-17-2015, 06:14 AM
Dear Lord Man, Not "Cheeky"!!! Are they having a "Celebration of Live" gathering??? I'll try my best to attend!

BiG Boar
09-17-2015, 06:34 AM
You would think a big celebrity would have his ducks in a row. I'm quite sure he knew he wasn't living here enough to meet the residency requirement. But he had a hunter number, and just thought no one would check. Which I am sure happens hundreds of times over, every year in BC.

Gateholio
09-17-2015, 07:05 AM
I have mentioned before thst this rule needs some examination. This rule doesn't just effect celebrities, it also causes problems for average BC hunters working in Ft Mac or Saskatchewan or anywhere else. If you are working a typical 14-7 or 20-10 schedule- you may not be a resident hunter.

09-17-2015, 07:38 AM
Thems the rules. We all need to know them and follow them . Now his 15 seconds of fame again ......... Comes back to bite him on the back side. Tough to defend if the facts are correct.

Gun Dog
09-17-2015, 08:08 AM
Every government organization has it's own definition of resident -- ICBC, CRA, Forests, Finance, Children & Family Development, etc. Each province has it's own rules too.

I think if you pay BC taxes then you're a BC resident.

Gateholio
09-17-2015, 08:36 AM
I think a distinction needs to be made between if you are travelling (with no other residence than a BC residence) or you living in a residence elsewhere. You need to be filing income tax as a BC resident as well.

Ohwildwon
09-17-2015, 09:03 AM
How do FN's get away with putting No Hunting sign's on public land?

Eastbranch
09-17-2015, 09:12 AM
I think a distinction needs to be made between if you are travelling (with no other residence than a BC residence) or you living in a residence elsewhere. You need to be filing income tax as a BC resident as well.
What qualifies as a residence? Owning a second home? Somewhere you are renting for your 14-7? What about camp you are paying for? I think the system is good. If you want to hunt in BC you should make a commitment to live and work in BC, or pay through the nose like the rest of us expats.

Gun Dog
09-17-2015, 09:13 AM
Anybody can put up no hunting signs on public land.

Gun Dog
09-17-2015, 09:31 AM
BC Resident - means a person who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada,

and whose only or primary residence is in British Columbia and who has been physically present in BC for the greater portion of each of 6 calendar months out of the 12 calendar months immediately before doing a thing under the Wildlife Act,

or if not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, but whose only or primary residence is in British Columbia, and has been physically present in BC for the greater portion of each of the 12 calendar months immediately before doing a thing under the Wildlife Act.

I guess if you travel a lot you need to clock in and out of BC and maybe keep a log book. If you're a citizen you can spend as little as 96 days (16 X 6) in BC.

Jagermeister
09-17-2015, 09:32 AM
Every government organization has it's own definition of resident -- ICBC, CRA, Forests, Finance, Children & Family Development, etc. Each province has it's own rules too.

I think if you pay BC taxes then you're a BC resident.
When the police stop an Alberta plated car that seems to be hanging out forever, besides asking for a drivers licence, the officer will ask to see a health card for proof of residency. If he produces a BC Care Card, he gets a ticket for not having his vehicle licensed in the province. Or so it's supposed to be. A lot get away because there are so many operating Alberta plated vehicles but are BC residents.
If Mr. Stoner had a BC Health Care Card at the time of the supposed infraction, he could use that as well as the income tax filing for residency proof.

Eastbranch
09-17-2015, 09:37 AM
It's pretty clear that he was breaking the law. You don't play a full season of hockey for a US team from October to April and then claim BC residency in May. He just seems like an idiot. He lied about his residency, then deliberately flaunted killing that bear to the Heiltsuk, then allowed them to take photos of him doing it.Did he really think they wouldn't use it against him? Not the brightest bulb on the tree.

Ohwildwon
09-17-2015, 10:16 AM
Anybody can put up no hunting signs on public land.

Legally?...

Coachman
09-17-2015, 10:20 AM
Dear Lord Man, Not "Cheeky"!!! Are they having a "Celebration of Live" gathering??? I'll try my best to attend!

There will be a road block. You won't be allowed in if it's hunting season.

Gun Dog
09-17-2015, 10:25 AM
Legally?...No. A lot of unlawful behaviour is never enforced. Here's one from the Land Act:
A person commits an offence if the person does any of the following:

(a) occupies or possesses Crown land without lawful authority;

(b) uses Crown land without lawful authority;

That's why a CO or RCMP can tell you to pack up leave at any time.

adriaticum
09-17-2015, 10:28 AM
No. A lot of unlawful behaviour is never enforced. Here's one from the Land Act:
A person commits an offence if the person does any of the following:

(a) occupies or possesses Crown land without lawful authority;

(b) uses Crown land without lawful authority;

That's why a CO or RCMP can tell you to pack up leave at any time.

The crown can go and **** itself!

ACB
09-17-2015, 10:30 AM
It was a pretty DUM thing to do, who goes out an shoots a spring G bear and only takes the head and paws anyway. D U M. Come on, he is a hockey player, their not all the sharpest sticks in the wood pile or is that his last name or nick name. I'm thinking this boy deserves what he gets. As far as the coastal FN's calling this a no kill zone, really it's not up to them ; at leased not yet. This whole wanting of no hunting of grizzly bears on the coast by the COASTAL FIRST NATIONS smells of them wanting to have the same hunting rights on grizzly bears that the INUIT have on POLAR BEARS, you don't hunt a polar bear without a Inuit by your side with his hand out. One of the greatest coastal grizzly guides ever was Clayton MacK and he was either a Bella Bella or Bella Coola boy, who claimed that he was in on over 300 grizzly kills. Its amazing any are left but they know how to take care of the resources.

ruger#1
09-17-2015, 10:31 AM
When the police stop an Alberta plated car that seems to be hanging out forever, besides asking for a drivers licence, the officer will ask to see a health card for proof of residency. If he produces a BC Care Card, he gets a ticket for not having his vehicle licensed in the province. Or so it's supposed to be. A lot get away because there are so many operating Alberta plated vehicles but are BC residents.
If Mr. Stoner had a BC Health Care Card at the time of the supposed infraction, he could use that as well as the income tax filing for residency proof. And that is the truth.

Iron Glove
09-17-2015, 10:37 AM
I wonder if the next time he crosses back into the US of A after a game in Canada if Homeland Security will deny entry due to his criminal charges?
Heck, if a 40 year old pot possession charge can get you denied entry, surely Stoner's acts are worth denied entry too.

Vladimir Poutine
09-17-2015, 10:48 AM

Working in Fort Mac on a shift rotation would be a doubtful disqualification if you have a place of residence in BC???

adriaticum
09-17-2015, 11:03 AM
Working in Fort Mac on a shift rotation would be a doubtful disqualification if you have a place of residence in BC???

No, you are exactly disqualified if for any reason you don't spend more than 6 months in BC in a calendar year.
Go figure.

Riverbc
09-17-2015, 11:05 AM
No, you are exactly disqualified if for any reason you don't spend more than 6 months in BC in a calendar year.
Go figure.
unless you're dealing with Revenue Canada, then they still want to tax you as a BC Resident. True story...for another thread.

BigfishCanada
09-17-2015, 11:13 AM
This is a ****ing witch hunt, That could say our own MP's from BC arent BC Residents because they work in Ottawa more than 6 months a year.

My dad spent 25 years spending some winters in Arizona, he would come back to Canada every 3 months as it states he needs to keep his residency,

WHat a bunch of bull shit

Bugle M In
09-17-2015, 11:31 AM
...............................:p

ACB
09-17-2015, 11:40 AM
This is a ****ing witch hunt, That could say our own MP's from BC arent BC Residents because they work in Ottawa more than 6 months a year.

My dad spent 25 years spending some winters in Arizona, he would come back to Canada every 3 months as it states he needs to keep his residency,

WHat a bunch of bull shit
I could be wrong on this but I thought it was 6months less a day to maintain your residency.

Gateholio
09-17-2015, 11:52 AM
What qualifies as a residence? Owning a second home? Somewhere you are renting for your 14-7? What about camp you are paying for? I think the system is good. If you want to hunt in BC you should make a commitment to live and work in BC, or pay through the nose like the rest of us expats.

I think these are all small details that need to be looked at. If you own a residence elsewhere, you need to determine which is your primary residence. If you have a BCDL, BCCARECARD, file income taxes in BC, return to your primary residence in BC on your days off and spend most of your money in BC, where you work should be irrelevant.

I would say that Stoner wouldn't qualify as he obviously is living full time in the USA, but a camp worker doing 14-7 shouldn't be penalized because he earns Alberta money and brings it home to BC every month and pays BC taxes. That is actually doing good for the BC economy.

BRvalley
09-17-2015, 11:55 AM
IMO this is just a public figure witch hunt fueled by the FN grizz agenda...but, hopefully it might result in rewriting the definition of resident for the purpose of the wildlife act (not likely, but who knows)...I'd guess there's hundreds, if not a couple thousand, similar cases of "resident hunters' that are flying under the radar

Gateholio
09-17-2015, 11:59 AM

You would think so, but many oil patch workers don't qualify. I also think Shockey got a raw deal but someone as high profile as him should be all over his requirements.

srupp
09-17-2015, 12:06 PM
hmm should be pretty easy to see if or if not he qualified..

legally they can charge you with stealing a house or stealing nails,stealing wood ,stealing etc etc in this case they threw the book at him...

sheesh Jim Shockey recused himself several years ago for similar reasons..
steven

wideopenthrottle
09-17-2015, 12:22 PM
remember that 2012-13 (just before his hunt) was the nhl lockout year too...he did play overseas for some of that time but he also may have had 6 months here in bc

elch jager
09-17-2015, 12:40 PM
Maybe if the thug had more points and fewer penalty minutes... and wasn't a stinking Duck... they may have softened it up.

Not knowing the rules is no excuse, knowingly working around them is even worse. Perhaps his attitude in court also hurt him.

On his salary he could have just hired a GOA and paid a few extra $ for the non-resident license/tag.

Perhaps he is just stupid? Intelligent nhl players are the minority.

Jelvis
09-17-2015, 01:19 PM
Most likely a mix up by someone else in the planned hunt. I would think a guy like a professional in anything wouldn't do that blunder on purpose.
-- rules need to be explained to clients b4 they sign on the dotted line, complete, correct, clear and concise.
No way I could imagine a pro athlete like Clayton would do this if he actually knew his situation was wrong in the first place. So I would have to hear the whole thing first.
Jel -- I'll stand up for Clayton and hope the truth will come out for everyone's sake.

srupp
09-17-2015, 03:10 PM
Well thought out informnative post Jelvis? Lmao understood 100%..it made rational sense..
Well done Bro.
Cheers
Steven

adriaticum
09-17-2015, 03:17 PM
Yes, I agree with Jelvis.
Let's hear the whole story.

ruger#1
09-17-2015, 03:40 PM
Good one Jelato. But the professionals are people to. And some of them think that with all the money they have. That they are above the law.

srupp
09-17-2015, 04:28 PM
Hmmm this is Stoner..not Luongo..lol
Srupp

frenchbar
09-17-2015, 04:36 PM
He should be charged for impersonating a hockey player ...

Gr8 white hunter
09-17-2015, 05:09 PM
Good treat him the same way as anyone else.

ruger#1
09-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Hmmm this is Stoner..not Luongo..lol
Srupp

I wonder if he was stoned when he did all of this.

weatherbyjunkie
09-17-2015, 06:46 PM
Most likely a mix up by someone else in the planned hunt. I would think a guy like a professional in anything wouldn't do that blunder on purpose.
-- rules need to be explained to clients b4 they sign on the dotted line, complete, correct, clear and concise.
No way I could imagine a pro athlete like Clayton would do this if he actually knew his situation was wrong in the first place. So I would have to hear the whole thing first.
Jel -- I'll stand up for Clayton and hope the truth will come out for everyone's sake.

He then issued the following statement: “I grew up hunting and fishing in British Columbia and continue to enjoy spending time with my family outdoors. I applied for and received a grizzly bear hunting licence through a British Columbia limited-entry lottery last winter and shot a grizzly bear with my licence while hunting with my father, uncle and a friend in May. I love to hunt and fish and will continue to do so with my family and friends in British Columbia.”

thats his statement..... Pro athletes and celebrities are somewhat notorious for thinking they are entitled and/or above the law. So unless he was in BC for the better part of 6 months I'd say he took a chance on not getting caught and entered the draw

srupp
09-17-2015, 06:49 PM
hmmm we do not know but whatever the first nations twits are using yet another opportunity to rpeat it is their land no grizzly hunting...where the $%&%^&(%% is bcwf..lol
48 months tops..kiss G bear hunting bye bye...

srupp

Jelvis
09-17-2015, 07:08 PM
Anyone who was born in BC here and hunted all your life can't use an leh?
This should be looked at folks
Maybe adjust the law to be in Canada and not just a province but it's under the BC Wildlife Act so BC wood have to change it to be more clear and help people born in BC

Islandeer
09-17-2015, 07:26 PM
Freakin Last nation circus,any chance to get Global on there side.

weatherbyjunkie
09-17-2015, 09:25 PM
hmmm we do not know but whatever the first nations twits are using yet another opportunity to rpeat it is their land no grizzly hunting...where the $%&%^&(%% is bcwf..lol
48 months tops..kiss G bear hunting bye bye...

srupp
I agree : ( sadly if the government doesn't do more than say they "don't recognize" the First Nations bans,then the tree huggers and FN will finally build enuff bleeding heart support to have the grizz hunt ended.

albravo2
09-17-2015, 09:38 PM
All of a sudden that bear is a special bear with a name and a place in the hearts of local natives.

Based on the photo, it wasn't that awesome a bear. I doubt it held any significance to anyone before the photo.

I really think the article should have said 'walked right past an illegal sign that lied about the area being closed to bear hunting'.

All that said, I'm pretty sure Stoner messed up and didn't have resident status. People should stop posting evidence to facebook.

Gateholio
09-17-2015, 10:14 PM
I think Stoner just didn't realize he didn't qualify, it's not a difficult mistake to make. Shockey didn't realize it, and his business is hunting. That's why I think the residency rule needs and overhaul. The law was written decades ago, prior to a much more location-diverse work force.

It's absurd that a tradesman that pays a mortgage in BC, has kids in a BC school, pays taxes in BC and has hunted in BC his whole life is considered a non resident because he goes to make his families life better by working rotation in camp in FT Mac or some mine in Australia or whatever, while his wife and kids live in BC. Where can this guy hunt as a resident? He's not eligible in Alberta, as he has no permanent residence there.

Ohwildwon
09-17-2015, 10:38 PM
I think Stoner just didn't realize he didn't qualify, it's not a difficult mistake to make. Shockey didn't realize it, and his business is hunting. That's why I think the residency rule needs and overhaul. The law was written decades ago, prior to a much more location-diverse work force.

It's absurd that a tradesman that pays a mortgage in BC, has kids in a BC school, pays taxes in BC and has hunted in BC his whole life is considered a non resident because he goes to make his families life better by working rotation in camp in FT Mac or some mine in Australia or whatever, while his wife and kids live in BC. Where can this guy hunt as a resident? He's not eligible in Alberta, as he has no permanent residence there.

Hey, well said! If that is the case, and shows up with his tail between his legs, hopefully he just gets a slap on the wrist...

Sofa King
09-17-2015, 11:12 PM
I have mentioned before thst this rule needs some examination. This rule doesn't just effect celebrities, it also causes problems for average BC hunters working in Ft Mac or Saskatchewan or anywhere else. If you are working a typical 14-7 or 20-10 schedule- you may not be a resident hunter.

always wondered how that worked.
surely they can't consider camp in ft. mac as a residence.

Gateholio
09-17-2015, 11:34 PM
always wondered how that worked.
surely they can't consider camp in ft. mac as a residence.

For the sake of residence requirements, it really doesn't matter if you are in camp in Ft Mac or visiting your dying mother in Ontario for a few months. If you are not in BC for the specified time, you are not a legal resident hunter. That is why I think the residency requirements need more looking at.

Our regulation is clear, it makes sense for a new resident of BC, but it doesn't make sense for a long term BC resident that happens to be out of province for work or other reasons, especially in 2015.

srupp
09-18-2015, 05:23 AM
Words of wisdom Gate..cleaverly articulated. .
Cheers
Steven

Rubicon500
09-18-2015, 06:00 AM
Hmm that's crazy things need to change, but clearly there is a lot of ppl on HBC POACHING haha. Cant really say a guy working in Alberta is any different than Clayton Stoner, If he spends 3 million on a home here , buys boats , bikes , all sorts of cars he is bringing more to the economy than us measly tradesmen. Definatly a weird grey area , good thing I work here and im not illegally hunting like so many of these HBC warriors making there black gold in Alberta lol

wideopenthrottle
09-18-2015, 08:26 AM
as I already mentioned....it was the NHL lockout year so maybe he had enough time in

.330 Dakota
09-18-2015, 08:29 AM

Very true Gates,,,I think it needs to be re-visited and modified..the celeb's that move to California etc,,need to be dealt with a little differently than the oil patch worker though,,,not sure how that would look on paper,,but somethins gotta happen

.330 Dakota
09-18-2015, 08:30 AM
Hmm that's crazy things need to change, but clearly there is a lot of ppl on HBC POACHING haha. Cant really say a guy working in Alberta is any different than Clayton Stoner, If he spends 3 million on a home here , buys boats , bikes , all sorts of cars he is bringing more to the economy than us measly tradesmen. Definatly a weird grey area , good thing I work here and im not illegally hunting like so many of these HBC warriors making there black gold in Alberta lol

Good point,,,so what if he travels for work

.330 Dakota
09-18-2015, 08:36 AM
IMO,,,,,The only reason this guy has been charged is because he is a high profile personality,,,and the anti crowd shined the light on him for doing what many BCers do...work out of province,,,,,,,,, I would be willing to bet that it was them that dug up the numbers/dates and reported it to the CO service in the first place. Im sure the Govt didnt catch it.These leaf lickin bear suckin cheto eatin motherf&%kers will stop at nothing to win their cause,,,,we need a crusader on our side to carry the flag.......we as a group,,,gun owners and hunters are too passive,,,while these activists are up all night dreaming up ways to f&*k with us. Now theyve filled the local Indians full of non provable bullshit and have them supporting their cause,,,,the hillaious thing about it is,,if they suceed in banning the bear hunt,,,they will be the whiners asking the govt to do something about the bears 10 years down the road as they break into their homes, eat their pets and maybe even their children,,,go figure,,,asshats

Peter Pepper
09-18-2015, 09:05 AM
Every time he played the Canucks he was back in BC for a night or two. His lawyer better tally those up.

MichelD
09-18-2015, 09:07 AM
I know that family. Went to school with his dad, uncle and sister. They are honest hard-working people.

Gateholio
09-18-2015, 10:45 AM
IMO,,,,,The only reason this guy has been charged is because he is a high profile personality,,,and the anti crowd shined the light on him for doing what many BCers do...work out of province,,,,,,,,, I would be willing to bet that it was them that dug up the numbers/dates and reported it to the CO service in the first place. Im sure the Govt didnt catch it.These leaf lickin bear suckin cheto eatin motherf&%kers will stop at nothing to win their cause,,,,we need a crusader on our side to carry the flag.......we as a group,,,gun owners and hunters are too passive,,,while these activists are up all night dreaming up ways to f&*k with us. Now theyve filled the local Indians full of non provable bullshit and have them supporting their cause,,,,the hillaious thing about it is,,if they suceed in banning the bear hunt,,,they will be the whiners asking the govt to do something about the bears 10 years down the road as they break into their homes, eat their pets and maybe even their children,,,go figure,,,asshats

Absolutely!

This is a BIG WIN for the anti's! I'm sure that some anti read the regulations, researched when he was playing hockey outside of BC, came up with a calendar and made a complaint with the CO service.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-18-2015, 11:26 AM
IIRC he killed this bear during the lock-out year. Considering you must qualify as a resident both to apply for LEH AND qualify as a resident at the time of the hunt, it would be pretty hard to do that unless he was playing with the Canucks.

elch jager
09-18-2015, 11:33 AM
So.. the local First Nation is complaining about a dead Grizzly... Isn't this the same area that they are competing directly with the bears for the same habitat that they occupy? Aren't the Grizzlies roaming the streets of Bella Coola like they own the place? I thought I had read that the Bella Coola First Nation wanted something done about all the bears and wanted to be permitted to kill off some of them because the area was overpopulated? And now they are whining about the loss of 'Cheeky'?

I read through all of Shelton's material here http://www.bearattacksurvival.com/humanbear-conflict.html on the history of conflict in the immediate area. Seems to me the native population wants fewer bears... so why are they jumping on the stone stoner bandwagon? Clearly there is a bit of back room politicing going on behind the scenes.

Riverbc
09-18-2015, 12:43 PM
The crown will have to prove that he knew, he didn't meet the residency requirements. If not...then the first 2 charges will get tossed, but he could still be convicted of the other 3 charges.

Document
Count
Offence Date
Statute
Nature
Accused
City Of Offence

BB100966-1
22-May-2013
WLA - 82(1)(a) Knowingly make a false statement to obtain licence
Commit
STONER, CLAYTON James
Port McNeill BC

BB100966-1
22-May-2013
WLA - 82(1)(a) Knowingly make a false statement to obtain licence
Commit
STONER, CLAYTON James
Port McNeill BC

BB100966-1
28-May-2013
WLA - 11(1)(a)(i) Hunt without licence
Commit
STONER, CLAYTON James
Bella Bella BC

BB100966-1
28-May-2013
WLA - 26(1)(c) Hunt/take/trap/wound/kill wildlife out of season
Commit
STONER, CLAYTON James
Bella Bella BC

BB100966-1
28-May-2013
WLA - 33(2) Unlawful possession of dead wildlife
Commit
STONER, CLAYTON James
Bella Bella BC

Geo.338
09-18-2015, 04:00 PM
I think that the residency law is fine . Most of the people I know working out of province could afford that hunt so pay a guide and contribute to that part of our economy . Just because one owns a house and pays taxes here does not entitle one to all of the benefits of a full on resident . BC is undoubtedly one of the best provinces to hunt . So if you work in the patch and are raking in that fat money then pay up . The last thing I want to see is Alberta plates all over the hunting grounds just because buddy spends a few months here in his off time not to mention the added competition on our precious LEH tags .

Anyone know if Stoner connected on his moose that season ? We were hunting the same area as him and his group that season and we kind of wondered about his eligibility as the hockey season would make it hard to meet residency requirements

The ramifications of changing residency requirements just do not apply to hunting and LEH so I think this is one of those "careful what you wish for " scenarios .

PhotoShot
09-18-2015, 05:04 PM
Sounds like his residency status would qualify for him a Harper Senate appointment but not an LEH for grizz.

The Hermit
09-18-2015, 05:54 PM
I think that the residency law is fine . Most of the people I know working out of province could afford that hunt so pay a guide and contribute to that part of our economy . Just because one owns a house and pays taxes here does not entitle one to all of the benefits of a full on resident . BC is undoubtedly one of the best provinces to hunt . So if you work in the patch and are raking in that fat money then pay up . The last thing I want to see is Alberta plates all over the hunting grounds just because buddy spends a few months here in his off time not to mention the added competition on our precious LEH tags .

Anyone know if Stoner connected on his moose that season ? We were hunting the same area as him and his group that season and we kind of wondered about his eligibility as the hockey season would make it hard to meet residency requirements

The ramifications of changing residency requirements just do not apply to hunting and LEH so I think this is one of those "careful what you wish for " scenarios .

Just curious Geo... are you a guide?

Gun Dog
09-18-2015, 05:59 PM
Looking up his Wiki page he played in the
- Slovak 2012-2013 season (NHL strike/lockout)
- NHL 2012 - 2013 Minnesota Wild (Jan 19 - June 24)
- NHL 2013 - 2014 Minnesota Wild (Oct 1 - June 13)

That would suggest he was "home" July - Sept (3+ months) plus some holidays and games in Vancouver.

I didn't realize that hockey is almost a year round sport now.

ACB
09-18-2015, 08:28 PM
Sounds like his residency status would qualify for him a Harper Senate appointment but not an LEH for grizz.
LOL thats funny right there!

Riverbc
09-19-2015, 07:55 AM
okay this is interesting. The 2012-2013 season didn't start until January 10, 2013, because of a 113 day lock-out. He did play 8 games in Slovakia at that time, As Gun Dog stated above, he may have met BC's residency conditions.

ruger#1
09-19-2015, 08:10 AM
okay this is interesting. The 2012-2013 season didn't start until January 10, 2013, because of a 113 day lock-out. He did play 8 games in Slovakia at that time, As Gun Dog stated above, he may have met BC's residency conditions.

Where was he living at the time? Was he living in B.C. ? Where is his home. USA or Canada?

Riverbc
09-19-2015, 11:42 AM
Where was he living at the time? Was he living in B.C. ? Where is his home. USA or Canada?

Yes...very true. All things the Crown has to prove. I'm sure the info lies with Border Services, Credit Card, and cell phone records. I just threw that up there as some people have already convicted him because he's a NHL'er that has a Sept-June season, so no way he could have been in BC for the Majority of 6 months.
If it was me, I'd be on the Island from June-Sept, just for salmon, crab and halibut fishing. Maybe some blacktail hunting from Sept-Nov...throw in a moose trip up north, and black bear. I'm not saying he's guilty or not guilty...just saying 2012-2013 was not his average season. Just saying is all..

Coachman
09-19-2015, 11:42 AM
If he's found guilty, I hope the same government that charges him for not being a resident, refunds every penny of taxes he paid that year.

Geo.338
09-19-2015, 04:07 PM
Just curious Geo... are you a guide?

No I am not a guide , just a resident hunter for the cause .

Darksith
09-21-2015, 10:17 AM
just cause you work out of province (aka fort mac) doesn't mean you can afford to drop 25K on a G bear hunt Geo, or the rest of the list of critters we love to pursue.

Maybe this is a good opportunity for someone to challenge the rule of residency as stated in the regs. It would appear that there are many people that most likely hunt in BC and do not qualify as residents, but consider themselves residents, their peers consider them residents and the government probably considers them residents as well. Why people here are so eager to condemn a fellow hunter...oh yeah, everyone here are complete angels I always forget.

The bigger issue should be us trying to band together to denounce the bullshit that is happening with the FN in trying to stop the G Bear hunt, and the anti's going after the trophy hunts

goatdancer
09-21-2015, 10:32 AM
I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the result of this case is. Just like all the other ones still ongoing.

bandit
10-08-2015, 05:08 PM
Stoners case is being heard in court tomorrow. The anti groups are planning a protest outside. Almost 20 of them have signed up to attend.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1490863181210037/

BimmerBob
10-12-2015, 11:11 AM
Looks like charges are being dropped: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34508269

E.V.B.H.
10-12-2015, 12:53 PM
Looks like charges are being dropped: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34508269
Whats this have to do with Stoner?

BimmerBob
10-12-2015, 01:19 PM
Whats this have to do with Stoner?

Oops! Wrong thread for it, sorry about that...

ruger#1
10-12-2015, 01:20 PM
Oops! Wrong thread for it, sorry about that... Nice going BOB.

TheProvider
10-12-2015, 01:22 PM
I bet there's hundreds of "BC residents" that would not fall under BC residency act for hunting. Camp workers, commercial drivers, pilots, politicians, seniors with winter homes in say Florida, guides working in other provinces, sales men. etc. The number would be surprising.

E.V.B.H.
10-12-2015, 04:53 PM
Oops! Wrong thread for it, sorry about that...
No need to apologize, just don't let it happen again��

257stew
10-13-2015, 10:46 AM
So can someone correct me if I am wrong.

Clayton is a B.C boy. Gets a hunting number etc. Decides toi go hunting. Because he is successfull someone decides that he is not a B.C resident because he was living out of province for 'X' amount of time.
Did he use a guide?
Does not seem to me that he did so did he not have to apply for a grizz LEH and be given one by the province. Should it not be at this time that residents living out of province for 'x' amount of time are not eligable for LEH. I imagine that all sorts of resident hunters needing to leave due to work commit ments would suddenly be in trouble.
I know that if I worked out of province I would come 'home' buy LEH apps or hunting licence/tags and go hunting and not even think anything of it. Especially if I am still paying taxes here in B.C.

Cheers 257Stew

MichelD
10-13-2015, 10:53 AM
We can spout all the opinions we want. In the end the judge will rule on this.

Darksith
10-13-2015, 05:33 PM
yup, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the judge ruled something like the residency laws that define a resident are unclear or an inaccurate way to determine residency. Maybe the judge will follow the senate guidelines ROFL

David Heitsman
10-15-2015, 02:02 PM
What about snowbirds like myself? I and 1000's of BC residents may leave for Palm Springs or Phoenix soon and stay till end of March or April and then can't spring bear hunt in BC? I don't think so. This case is meritless and is a ruse to keep our G Bear hunting in the news.

houndogger
10-15-2015, 02:13 PM
What about snowbirds like myself? I and 1000's of BC residents may leave for Palm Springs or Phoenix soon and stay till end of March or April and then can't spring bear hunt in BC? I don't think so. This case is meritless and is a ruse to keep our G Bear hunting in the news.
Fisher-dude will be on your ass now!

BigD_83
10-15-2015, 02:20 PM

I don't think the case is meritless at all. Do we want to have people who are not actually residents of the province (and I'm not saying Clayton Stoner didn't meet those requirements) being able to avail themselves of the province's limited resources without going through the proper channels? I'm certainly not in favour of that situation. The rules are in place for a reason, and if this case does nothing other than clarify them, then it's not a waste of time.

I do agree this case is going to/has cast a negative spotlight on the grizzly hunt and hunting in general, and we certainly don't need that.

I also think snowbirds as you have described should not be disqualified, and I certainly hope this case doesn't bring the resident status of that situation into question.

j270wsm
10-15-2015, 02:25 PM

If your gone from November until April then technically your not eligible to hunt anything in bc until November.

J_T
10-15-2015, 02:33 PM
I guess on a positive note, Carey Price might request a trade to the Canucks so he can retain his right to hunt in his home province.....

Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Seeker
10-15-2015, 03:19 PM
I guess on a positive note, Carey Price might request a trade to the Canucks so he can retain his right to hunt in his home province.....

Will be interesting to see how this turns out.
I think his aboriginal blood lines will take care of any issues he may have, but I would take him in half a heartbeat!