PDA

View Full Version : Clock is ticking!

BCHunterTV
09-16-2015, 03:05 PM
In 5 days and i make the drive to Fort Nelson to meet the guys from Steamboat Mnt Outfitters/packer service, then hit the trailhead with the horses on the 23rd in search of Moose. Im totally new to hunting off horses, any tips? Im hearing how ill be really sore from the ride ...

thanks

Danny

Stainless
09-16-2015, 03:18 PM
In 5 days and i make the drive to Fort Nelson to meet the guys from Steamboat Mnt Outfitters/packer service, then hit the trailhead with the horses on the 23rd in search of Moose. Im totally new to hunting off horses, any tips? Im hearing how ill be really sore from the ride ...

thanks

Danny

Don't fall off?

bc_buckshot
09-16-2015, 03:22 PM
Try to find a pair of boot gaiters or leather chinks so you don't tare the hell out of your pants going around tree and branches. Bring a little bag or container of baby powder for the chafe. Hunting with horses is my favorite and best way to hunt I believe. You will be sore a bit if you haven't rode much but one you smoke the moose, it all feels good. Best of luck can wait to see the pics

swampthing
09-16-2015, 07:15 PM
Sounds like a heck of an adventure, except for the horse part! Have fun.

gamehunter6o
09-16-2015, 07:21 PM
Don't fall off?
If you do, I hope you have a good, patient wife to nurse you back to health.
I'm into week 8 of being nurse, cook and dogs body to my wife who broke her ankle in a fall from her horse. :roll:

plumbcrazy
09-16-2015, 07:43 PM
The horse is only half the reason old cowboys walk bow legged........hear the banjo playing yet

headhunter2
09-16-2015, 08:10 PM
2 things
when able get off and walk a bit the first day or two. Yes you can see more from the horse but when you see that moose and climb off you may just fall flat on your nose so break into the saddle slowly.
And important not to tie the horse up and walk away leaving your rifle in the scabbard. Horses like to roll.

jimzuk
09-16-2015, 08:26 PM
I used padded mountain bike underwear. It seemed to help. Also make sure your stirrups are adjusted properly

Jagermeister
09-16-2015, 10:05 PM
Make sure the cinch is tight. Some horses will swell their girth as you tighten the cinch. Then they let the air out once you're in the saddle. At some point you may fall off.

goatdancer
09-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Make sure the cinch is tight. Some horses will swell their girth as you tighten the cinch. Then they let the air out once you're in the saddle. At some point you may fall off.

Or be hanging under the horse's belly.........

BiG Boar
09-17-2015, 06:57 AM
Are you actually using the horses for the hunting part? Or are they just dropping you off and picking you up? If so, do they just leave you unattended with the horses? Or is someone there to wrangle for you?

Any which way, you'll enjoy it. Best hunting method out there.

Dog_River
09-17-2015, 08:14 AM
I would suggest if you have the time is ride a bit before going up there. If not someone suggested to ride then walk a spell, ride walk a spell. Everyone is different and if your in decent shape you may get a bit sore. I know guys whos knees really hurt when they get off and can barely walk.

have fun.

Dog_River