PDA

View Full Version : Quiet weather resistant pants

Lozzie
09-16-2015, 08:43 AM
Just wondering if someone has found some water resistant breathable pants that don't whistle when you walk for a reasonable price. Also the areas I'm hunting have a lot of burrs so fleece is not really a viable option. Let me know what's working for you.

Stainless
09-16-2015, 10:35 AM
I run Sitka Mountain pants with some long johns underneath. Pricier, but you can't skimp on quality. Legs will only get wet in a downpour.

Lozzie
09-16-2015, 11:55 PM
Thanks I was kind of hoping for something a little less expensive. Has anyone tried UA Ridge reapers or the Scent-Lok products?

Tikka270
09-17-2015, 12:36 AM
I just bought some UA ridge reapers but, haven't tried them yet.

tailgate77
09-17-2015, 07:19 AM
I am wearing the First Lite Knab pant that I bought from The Hermit. They are awesome. So quiet and comfortable. Not waterproof at all but being wool, they stay warm. The might be a bit out of your price range though. So many synthetics soft shells, regardless of the exterior brush, make noise. Maybe only slightly, but they do. I haven't tried the brands you mentioned. My WallyWorld Remington pants are decently waterproof and cost only about $60 I think.

allan
09-17-2015, 07:39 AM
Wally World Remington pants look real nice but don't breath and tear easy. I bought a pair in a panic when my other pants got wrecked on a hunt. Worst pieces of clothing I have ever owned have been the Remington brand from wm.

brian
09-17-2015, 07:45 AM
What about wool pants like surplus military? Personally I find them heavy and uncomfortable compared to my "go to" fleece pants (that are surprisingly weather resistant). But they may fit the bill for you. I also have rain pants but never use them.

Lozzie
09-17-2015, 08:25 AM
It seems fleece is the quietest, but hiking around in the burrs and brambles of the south island? Not the best.

tomahawk
09-17-2015, 10:38 AM
Real Wool pants for last 34 yrs, but I have a outfitters tent that I hang them in if wet and dry them out during the evening and through the sleeping hrs. No noise and warm always.

Sitkaspruce
09-17-2015, 07:38 PM
I have a used set of Cabelas Super Slam pants you can have for $40. They have a slight tear in both knees.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?120698-Fall-clean-up-Pants-Pack-Knives-etc

They are semi waterproof; OK in wet grass/brush, but not so in a downpour. But then I wear waterproof pants when it gets that wet. I also wear gaiters to keep the bottoms dry.

I am trying out Kryptec this year, seems good stuff at reasonable prices.

Cheers

SS

brian
09-17-2015, 09:58 PM
It seems fleece is the quietest, but hiking around in the burrs and brambles of the south island? Not the best.

Honestly I've never thought about it much. I bushwack a lot and my fleece pants go through everything that gets in my way and they're still holding up. Like wool they'll get wet but not wet out unless I go swimming, only real difference I've noticed is they'll dry out over night whereas my wool pants will stay wet for days unless I can toast them over a fire. For going through the bush I don't worry about either my fleece or my wool. The place where I do worry about my fleece is around a campfire that's where having wool is way better.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
10-21-2015, 07:33 PM
yes i have been thinking about some other pant options . i have jean carharts . which are tough noisy and stiff. i have my guide gear sent lock which are nice . but they can be warm . so i was thinking about something a little differnt thats breathable and light weight while roughed . mostly for approach pant . to hike in to somewhere in the after noon .