PDA

View Full Version : Had to say goodbye yesterday

huntinnewbie
09-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Murphy was a black lab, not a pedigreed one, no papers, no illustrious ancestors or trial winners that we know of but ....what a dog she was. Devoted family member, wonderful with everyone she met, gentle, quiet, dedicated to finding every last downed duck or upland game bird. Fearless hunter of moles and black or grey squirrels with many confirmed kills. She was watchdog and babysitter, tried her best to help herd the cattle but never quite got it.
She could swim like a seal and loved to dive to the bottom in clear water and retrieve sunken sticks out of the mud. Her favorite game was finding hidden items including our grand kids that were told to hide somewhere on the farm, her nose and tracking never failed to find them.
She was 13 years old last January and cancer reared its ugly head. She took her last ride with me yesterday but after we got back from 12 days at the cabin where she went for walks, laid in the sun and cooled off in the river.
I will miss her for a long time.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v138/debbienight/Old%20Comp%20pics%20651resized_zpsrfsg5y6s.jpg (http://http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v138/debbienight/Old%20Comp%20pics%20651resized_zpsrfsg5y6s.jpg)[/URL]

RugDoctor
09-15-2015, 11:21 AM
You will miss her for a long time. I hope you remember the best times most of all.

adriaticum
09-15-2015, 11:24 AM
Sorry for your loss

Singleshotneeded
09-15-2015, 11:26 AM
RIP Murphy...

Gr8 white hunter
09-15-2015, 11:48 AM
Sorry for your loss we know how you feel we had to do the same a.few years ago and I still
miss Patches he was a great old bone digger.

09-15-2015, 12:05 PM
Sorry for your loss.

604ksmith
09-15-2015, 12:06 PM
Great story, sounds like she had a great life.

I still miss my first childhood dog, they sure do feel like family and leave a lasting impression. Hopefully your next dog will be just as great.

campking
09-15-2015, 12:13 PM
I am very sorry for your loss

levind
09-15-2015, 02:40 PM
sorry for your lose. RIP Murphy

Wild Images
09-15-2015, 03:02 PM
True Family is never gone, she will live on in your hearts and memories forever .

Rest In Peace !

albravo2
09-15-2015, 03:14 PM
Sorry for your loss. Its a pity the four legged family don't last as long as we do.

Ddog
09-15-2015, 04:13 PM
"If Tears Could Build A Stairway"If tears could build a stairway,
and memories a lane.
I would walk right up to Heaven
and bring you back again.

No farewell words were spoken,
No time to say "Goodbye".
You were gone before I knew it,
and only God knows why.

My heart still aches with sadness,
and secret tears still flow.
What it meant to love you -
No one can ever know.

But now I know you want me
to mourn for you no more;
To remember all the happy times
life still has much in store.

Since you'll never be forgotten,
I pledge to you today~
A hollowed place within my heart
is where you'll always stay.

Ddog
09-15-2015, 04:15 PM
i often think of my boy he was 14 and a yellow lab, and for some reason that poem felt so true, it may be for a person, it may b for anyone or anything that we have loved and lost

Everett
09-15-2015, 04:42 PM
Will be year on the 3rd since I put my boy Bushmill down not a day I don't think of him. You have our condolences and it will get easier with time.

goatdancer
09-15-2015, 06:17 PM
Makes me sad to hear of another great friend gone. Didn't have a dog for many years. Got one last December and know how you feel. They become part of the family. My condolences.

huntinnewbie
09-15-2015, 06:21 PM
Thanks everyone your comments mean a lot,as this is the first full day without her presence I still keep looking for her, hear her footsteps in the driveway, look for her when vehicles are moving, expect her to come walking through open doors.

scoutlt1
09-15-2015, 07:17 PM
Sounds like she had a really good life, and you gave her the best ever.
I've had to experience the passing of a couple of companions. It is one of the hardest things. No papers, and nothing really "special" about any of them. But damn...
I'm dreading the day I will lose my beloved, stupid, but loyal Chessie. He has so many qualities similar to your dog.

Truly sorry for your loss.
R.I.P Murphy.

Take care.

kilometers
09-15-2015, 07:54 PM
I lost my much loved dog a couple months back. She was hit by a car and died in my arms she was way to young.
Its painful and hard. The quietness and nobody greeting you when you get home is the hardest part. She went everywhere with me.
it gets easier with time. I no longer feel sorrow when I think of her. She brings a smile to my face remembering all the good times and adventures we had.