PDA

View Full Version : Road hunting elk - should I bother?

Looking_4_Jerky
09-14-2015, 01:19 PM
So last year we decided to swap our elk hunt in the East Kootenay (lots of animals & high past success, but 9 hr drive for us) in favor of exploring an area of the West Kootenay (tougher access, seemingly fewer animals, but less than 4 hr drive). Although we were successful, we really scoured inaccessible basins on foot to locate the animals.

As I'm among the eldest of our hunting party, I was determined to be well conditioned for this year's hunt. I got out for a couple training hikes and started running at lunch. Last Wednesday when I got back from my run I noticed that I seemed to have a light pull in my right calf muscle. I managed to baby it for a few days, but I'd totally forgotten about it and on Thursday evening, while playing tag with my 7yr daughter, I pulled the sh*t out of it or possibly tore it to some degree.

Long story short, We leave for our elk trip this Thursday. Given that I can still barely walk on it, I doubt I'm going to be able to access any severe country on foot, let alone pack elk out.

I'm curious to hear people's perspective. Should still attend and ATV hunt cut-blocks and the limited high country that is accessible? Have people had reasonable success road hunting elk in rugged terrain like the West Koots? Is there still a reasonable chance to find elk in steep cut-blocks? I've seen a number of bull elk from the truck in the east, but the densities are obviously much higher and I seem to see them in all sorts of terrain types over there, not so much the slides and basins like the west.

I know that I won't get one from my living room, but I do have limited escape-credits and the time off could be put to use in coming moose LEH & GOS moose hunts. Thoughts?

Fisher-Dude
09-14-2015, 01:54 PM
Go hunting.

Enjoy your escape.

If a bull walks out in front of you, giddy-up. If not, that's okay too.

Cookie1965
09-14-2015, 02:01 PM
If I understand you right you get one hunt, if you go on this Elk hunt you won't be able to do a Moose hunt later in the season? If so save your time off for when you're fit. If you can do both then do both!

Wrayzer
09-14-2015, 02:05 PM
Any chance to get away to the elk woods is worth it, hiking or watching cuts. I'd give er a go and enjoy the time with the guys.

Looking_4_Jerky
09-14-2015, 02:16 PM
If I understand you right you get one hunt, if you go on this Elk hunt you won't be able to do a Moose hunt later in the season? If so save your time off for when you're fit. If you can do both then do both!

I'm taking this Friday and Monday off work to go elk hunting. If I don't go, I'll be able to stretch out my moose hunts, which are not really "long trips", by the two days. For example, friends have Oct 1st bull draw a couple hours away. Right now I'd be attending the weekend of Oct 3/4, but if I have an extra day or two I could stay if nothing has hit the dirt.

After that my moose hunting will be limited to hunting spike bulls in Nov, but same applies, time not used now could be used then. I'm looking very realistically at the fact that we may not get a spike bull moose in the first cut-block of opening morning like we did last year! :-(

northof49
09-14-2015, 08:56 PM
haha what a dilemma....let me help. Current forecast for weekend in EK is sun....could get hit by car, struck by lightning or have a jammer before moose hunt....I say go relax, drink a few cool ones, road hunt for chickens and enjoy the scenery. If you glass something within reach......bonus!! as long as you got someone to help get it out ;)

The Hermit
09-14-2015, 09:01 PM
Belly crawl a hundred yards off the road, get buddy to set up a tree stand with a good view, sit up there all friggin day and shoot an elk. Assuming of course your buddies are willing to pack out the meat.

Fred1
09-14-2015, 09:31 PM
FFS man! GO HUNTING! One day you will not be able due to far worse scenarios ...

walks with deer
09-14-2015, 10:25 PM
I have had bull elk in west kootneys 15 yards from my truck on my way to use Internet to work....

j270wsm
09-14-2015, 10:32 PM
Go hunting, anything can happen.

Sept 11 I shot a 7x7 bull that walked out 220yds in front of my truck, then died on the high side of the ditch. Only had to drag him 6' to get him in the truck whole.

Looking_4_Jerky
09-15-2015, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I've decided to go. I came very close to bailing since I wasn't keen on being a road warrior for the elk trip (my moose hunts tend to be heavy on the road hunting). My efforts will go a ways toward scouting nearby areas we probably wouldn't get to if we were all hiking, and it would be good to have a few more spots so as not to have all the eggs in a few baskets.

Cheers,
Jerky.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-16-2015, 08:23 AM
Take some trail cameras and watch for sign of elk crossing the roads you will be puttering down.

beni
09-16-2015, 09:41 PM
85% of the hunters in/around the peace region seem to do just fine doing that. Don't see why not.

OutWest
09-16-2015, 10:07 PM
The WK is a big area and the majority of hunters don't venture far from the bigger hubs like Nelson, Castlegar, Cranbrook etc. You can definitely get into elk road hunting and most would be shocked at just how many bulls are coming out whole or in two pieces. Some pretty decent elk at that. Good to hear you're going on your trip. Enjoy yourself and you just might be surprised at how much fun you'll have. Cheers.

REMINGTON JIM
09-16-2015, 10:12 PM
Get ER done - more then one elk has being shot from the road by truck or quad - don`t give up - just give ER ! Good LUCK ! :biggrin: RJ

.264winmag
09-17-2015, 10:34 AM
I've been in on 6 bulls west Koots, all called, spotted or shot within rifle range of road or quad trail. Right place, right time, calling and patience. Good luck!