PDA

View Full Version : My first big game ever, 4 pt muley story.

elmochilero
09-14-2015, 08:02 AM
Hey guys, thought I would share on here as I like reading other people's stories.

I've always been interested in hunting and 3 years ago decided to pursue it. Took a year to do my PAL and CORE (busy life) and last year was excited to hit the outdoors. I had rented all the books from the library I could, watched a ton of MeatEater (awesome show on Sportsman), a ton of youtube videos, and tons of reading on this forum (thanks). I spent a total of about three weeks in the bush spread out over the season last year. In December I was able to do good tracking thanks to a good snowfall. On my last day I had two beauties in my sights but couldn't count the tines and wasn't comfortable making that distance of a shot.

I've been hooked since then.

I got up to my area near Merritt and was excited to hit the trails. My first night was a late arrival so I only had time to walk a few kms around camp. The next morning I was up at the cracka and went to an area I'd be able to glass with good east facing slopes, with not much hopes. Around 9 I left checking small gulleys and ravines for deer sign, put on 15 kms on the boots.

That afternoon I left camp around 4 to hike down to my 'honey hole', about 10km away from camp. I made the decision to not be a road warrior this year. I make it to my favourite spot, some beautiful south facing grassy slopes backing into forest. Buck heaven. By 6ish I spot a buck, big one, lots of headgear right at the top of the slope near the trees. Then I spot another, beside him. I get into a good hidden position and count the big buck a four pointer, and the other buck a 3 pointer. I'm too far for an accurate shot with my current ability so I move in closer. The area has some nice deep ravines that I was able to sneak up pretty close on. I creep up to about 50 yards from them both, and lie down prone to take a shot, my best position. The grass is too tall and I'm having trouble getting in position when the big buck spots me. I freeze. I stare, he stares. I am a statue. At last he loses interest and starts eating again. I decide to back away down into the ravine and move further up towards the trees, taking shelter behind some shrubs. I get there, get in position, and he spots me again. I cool my nerves, double check he's legal, take steady aim, and just as he's about to walk over the crest of the hill gives me a beautiful broadside. I take him, and he jumps over the hill into the neighbouring ravine, out of view.

Immediately I can't help but worry about the shot, and not being able to track him, as it will be dark within an hour. I give him about 20 minutes to die if the shot wasn't the best, and make my way over to him. Sure enough he's lying at the bottom of the ravine. Awesome!

I feel like hunting shows that end right at the kill shot aren't doing justice to the animal, or the hunter.

I take a few minutes getting comfortable being right beside a huge animal that I killed, only being up close to one a year before that someone else shot. Because I was tired from my morning hunt I didn't bring my bone saw or game bags, tarp, etc. I open him up and immediately realize he's been gut shot. Shit. I think about doing the gutless method but being my first time wanted to do the regular way, not knowing what was in store for me. It took probably about an hour before I got him all cleaned up and dragged him 20 ft from the gutpile. I know I have a long night ahead of me, as temps won't get below 15ish and I don't want to leave my first kill for the bears, wolves, or coyotes.

The stars are out by the time I get back to camp, get the truck, and head back. He's about a km away from an area I can drive to, down a game trail in and out of some thick brush. I park and walk in, and after about 10 ft of dragging realize that ain't happening. He's at least 6' long, must be 150-200lbs. I walk back to the truck trying to find a way I can drive in. Sure enough after about another hour of decent 4x4ing I get the truck to him. I can't get him into the bed, so I cut off his hind legs and then just barely get him in.

It's after midnight by the time I make it back to camp. I forget to get a pulley and can't raise him on my rope and biner to skin so I do it on his side. At 3:30 finally I'm into bed, having harvested all the meat from the carcass I am able to. I felt very sad and felt like I disrespected the animal by spoiling so much of the meat with the gut shot but I'm happy I got most of the best bits, minus the small tenderloins.

So in under 24 hours within arriving I had taken my first mule deer buck, first big game ever. The next morning I left to drive home, butchered him, and have half of the meat for the grinder and half for steaks, roasts, and other delicious treats.

Thanks for sharing knowledge on here. It helps us new guys out.

Question- would you leave the carcass there until the next morning? How long would you leave the game bags hanging in camp with temps ranging from 10ish to 30 Celsius? I wanted to do more hunting but didn't want to spoil the meat. Interested in your opinions.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5480&stc=1

Glenny
09-14-2015, 08:07 AM
If its going to be that hot get it out of there. Nice first buck too.

Paulyman
09-14-2015, 08:16 AM
Aweome story! Good idea to get that meat out of there in those temps, not worth risking it. I would not leave the carcass there at all, the quicker you can get that animal apart and cooling the better.

Sofa King
09-14-2015, 08:17 AM
Very nice buck.
Congrats.
Sounds like you earned that one.

We discussed this over the weekend in camp.
I know i would be the same, and not want to leave it overnight.
I have always drug my deer out, until this one this weekend, which we pole slung. Of course thats only possible with a companion.
I will definitely be doing some field quartering from now on though i think.

ElliotMoose
09-14-2015, 08:21 AM
Awesome. Welcome to the addiction! Good on ya for stepping up and doing that all by yourself. It can be intimidating walking up to a downed animal for the first time without any experience

MichelD
09-14-2015, 08:23 AM
Good going! I've been hunting for 48 years and have never shot a 4-point mule deer.

coach
09-14-2015, 08:23 AM
Great looking buck! Congratulations. The more you hunt, the more you will learn about dealing with an animal. Sounds like you did things pretty well, but learning how to quarter and having game bags and rope in your pack make ithings much easier. Deboned, you can pack a deer that size in one load (maybe not that comfortably) or two loads easily or you can hang it near where you shot it. Leaving the carcass on the ground overnight isn't a great option as blood will often pool just under the hide and it's also difficult to get heat out of the meat. When temps are warm and you can't get he animal out right away, look for a shaded area near a stream and hang it there. Temperatures in these areas are often several degrees cooler.

Again, congrats! That's an awesome first buck!

Sofa King
09-14-2015, 08:31 AM
It was amazing how nuch cooler it was just being shaded this weekend. I took a dozen 4liter jugs full of warm water to camp this weekend. Kept them shaded and they were ice cold the entire 4days. We were higher up im guessing, but it was still scorching hot there as well.

REMINGTON JIM
09-14-2015, 08:34 AM
Congrats on a Very Nice first Buck and you did the right thing getting it out BUT ! i would have boned it out - and left the rest behind - way less time and effort then what you did BUT you will know for next time ! jmo Good LUCK ! :smile: RJ

Salty
09-14-2015, 09:06 AM
Well done 'moch congrats on your first buck as you've shown a lot of determination makes up for not having a lot of experience. You got it done and on your own in warm temperatures kudos to you.

.264winmag
09-14-2015, 09:08 AM
Congrats on a great buck, especially a first! Getting the animal out that night was very wise, even if it took until wee hrs of the morning. Personally I like to get the hide off ASAP in warm weather, this situation would also lend itself well to deboning as already said. Meat in gamebags/dry stuff sack for pack out. Once you do it you'll never drag hide/bone again:) Have a cooler ready at the truck with some ice blocks, I like frozen 4l milk jugs. Once in the cooler you can relax and go back hunting, meat is good for a week easy.
These are just friendly suggestions, not to take away from your hard work and well earned buck. You done good bro!

HarryToolips
09-14-2015, 10:22 AM
Congrats way to get er done!...ya next time if ya gotta pack him out a little ways, you might just wanna quarter him up haul him out that way...

tuner
09-14-2015, 10:30 AM
Well done, great story and nice buck.

Bugle M In
09-14-2015, 11:24 AM
that's gorgeous looking buck.
I don't think the pic of the deer did it justice.
That's a nice rack for sure, nd the met you get to enjoy for the year.
It is hard to get a deer in the box of a pickup, especially alone.
Had to cut mine in parts one time, as I just couldn't do it.
Congrats on the 1st one, and I wish you more luck this season...good for you, and a great buck to start it with!!!

Wentrot
09-14-2015, 12:15 PM
Nice!! Nothing wrong with that guy! Anymore pics???

adriaticum
09-14-2015, 12:21 PM
Well done, congrats!

elmochilero
09-14-2015, 03:13 PM
More pics. I was so focused on taking care of the meat that I didn't really take any pictures until the next day. A lot of learning. Thanks everybody for the comments, and information, this will help me in a few weeks when I go back for white tail. Also interested to go north to get moose/elk/caribou but definitely not by myself!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5481&stc=1http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5482&stc=1http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5483&stc=1

jedimaster
09-14-2015, 04:40 PM
Awesome. Still looking for my first Black tail. If you bring a pulley with you next time you can bone and skin it right there. When the temps are warm that's how we would take care of white tails in Ontario in the early season. Its actually pretty easy to butcher it right off the bone once you get the hang of it hanging. Of course with the pulley its a bit more difficult to get it hanging.

jackthebear
09-14-2015, 05:19 PM
Congrats my friend! Well done! Like Remmy Jim said, bone er out😀. It's easy to learn and saves a ton of time and effort trying to drag or even lift an animal that size into a pick up by yourself. Surf YouTube for instructional video. It will come in way handy.

swampthing
09-14-2015, 05:37 PM
Sounds like you got most of it figured out dude! Good work. Do the gutless method the next time. Pull quarters off and game bag them. You can then hang them or load them in a backpack which you should always have. I have left meat many times overnight. Do a "peerimiter" around it and leave a nice stinky piece of clothing. I always have a bandana to clean up with. Wipe your sweaty ballsack and leave that. Not many animals will brave that! Nice buck you got.

epicZERO74
09-14-2015, 05:59 PM
Nice! Congrats on the first of many!

250 sav
09-14-2015, 06:57 PM
good job nice buck

ydouask
09-14-2015, 07:44 PM
:) Hey elmucho, you did very well. Yes, you did the right thing getting that beauty out of there .... as said by others, you just need to do it with a little more preparation and much smaller pieces ! Awesome first buck !!

luckofthedraw
09-14-2015, 08:15 PM
Great job. Nice to see and hear when people put so much effort and time into their "pre trip". A buck well earned. Congrats.

Dre
09-14-2015, 08:31 PM
Great buck and good job at getting it out of there. You should try to bone one out right on the spot. Once you get the hang of it, its the only way. Alone, it takes me an hour and a half to skin and bone out a deer, 2 hours if I keep the cape. Then you come out heavy and smiling :). Congrats on the first buck and on foot as well, there is no comparison to drive hunting and much more rewarding.

Jagermeister
09-14-2015, 08:36 PM
That's a very nice buck. Good for you.
It is crucial to cool the meat as quickly as you can. That means getting the hide off and getting it hung. You could probably get away with hanging in those temps for a couple of days as long as you have a good air flow and the game bags. I would not go beyond that. Of course, out of the direct sunlight.
The flies will be happy, but the game bags will keep them from hatching their spawn on cut meat.

Salty
09-14-2015, 09:04 PM
Another option if you don't have the light or time to debone is just to half the deer, half a medium sized skinned deer doesn't weigh much and will likely fit into a pack with the legs poking out. You don't need a saw either. Skin, gut and then slice between the 2nd and 3rd rib or there abouts on both sides to the spine. Then manhandle the two halves apart tail towards the ears opening the slice. Doesn't take much and you'll hear the back break then just gently slice a bit here and there and it comes in two easily. Couple trips to the truck and you're finished the bush work.

Jelvis
09-14-2015, 09:05 PM
Nice looking buck there hunter. Beauty. Mules are forever brah. You did a very good story and shooting and planned stalk and then got happy and took care of the succulent venison proves your a worker as well as a hunter. You appreciate our liberal hunting seasons and bag limits in B.C. You made this hunter sit up and look and made me feel good, na hice Bah Huck dude.
Jel ( Mule Deer ) Rock

The Hermit
09-14-2015, 09:09 PM
Awesome. Welcome to the addiction! Good on ya for stepping up and doing that all by yourself. It can be intimidating walking up to a downed animal for the first time without any experience

^^^what he said^^^ Huge congrats for sticking it out and getting it done. You did the right thing in getting it out that night. So, what did you learn? How far was the shot?

Squire
09-14-2015, 09:33 PM
I'll also give you kudos for getting the job done with little experience or instruction. Don't worry about meat loss from a gut shot. It is only unpleasant to dress the animal out but any shot through the ribs that misses front or hind quarters doesn't affect meat loss if the animal is cleaned and dressed properly.

Redneck Rocket
09-14-2015, 10:18 PM
Congratulations, that's a hell of a first buck. And I understand completely about it being daunting the first time you're dealing with a downed animal just before dark!!!

avadad
09-14-2015, 10:45 PM
Congratulations! That may be the best first buck story I've read here on hbc…your'e going to remember that day for the rest of your life...

kennyj
09-15-2015, 10:24 AM
Awesome first buck! You did the right thing getting him out asap.
kenny

nazarow
09-15-2015, 12:29 PM
Great buck and thanks for sharing your story! I had gotten my second deer ever this last weekend at dark as well and after processing the traditional way the 1st time last year, I watched a lot of youtube videos on how to quarter it gutless. I found it a lot easier loading up quarters instead of dragging the entire thing.

Cheers

Brizz
09-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Awesome man!!! Great deer - what elevation were you at?

elmochilero
09-15-2015, 02:08 PM
1300-1500 metres

wideopenthrottle
09-15-2015, 02:18 PM
I just cant go gutless...leaving 10-20 lbs of burger and 2-3 feeds of sweet&sour or BBQ ribs is a no go....I wont do breasting on ducks and geese either....

M.Dean
09-15-2015, 05:11 PM
Well, I can honestly say, You deserved that 4 Point for a "First Buck"! Anyone who can put that much time and effort into getting a animal on the ground, then spend darn near the entire night making sure the meats going to be saved, has earned the right to be called a "True Hunter" in my books! Looking forward to more of your hunting storys and pic's as the season processes!And congrats on a fine looking 4 point!

Pangaea
09-15-2015, 05:23 PM
Great story and a beauty first buck! You should be very proud. Way to go and thanks for sharing!