PDA

View Full Version : region 2 alpine

natebavis
09-13-2015, 10:29 PM
I spend a bit of time every september in the fringes of region 2 to take advantage of any buck opener. As I dont mind sharing areas I am reffering to cascade recreational area and coquihalla hike in stuff. I can see the COQ while hunting, but its a 2-3 hr hike in up steep stuff. Sept 9-12 this year was a relaxing 25-30 celcius!!! hiked many km's bowls sitting waiting watching , Saw nothing !! Shit, nothing. Questions are ...Is it just the year? soooooo hot, no water?? for last few months. Or just bad timing, opener coinciding with the 4 day hot streak..cheers Nate

GrandA
09-14-2015, 01:02 AM
Have you been successful in the past in that area ?

Paulyman
09-14-2015, 08:18 AM
We were in the Alpine around Pemberton this weekend and same story. I talked to my uncle last night who is a long time hunter and he suggested that the deer would be in the valley bottoms where there is plentiful food and water. Normally the Alpine would favor this, but this year it is just way too hot.

Big Lew
09-14-2015, 08:23 AM
Deer will be where the food is still succulent, not burned, hard, and over browsed.
As was mentioned, look lower and in the shaded draws, along north sides, etc.

71_camaro
09-14-2015, 08:47 AM
Haha before easy quad access big mulies!! Havent seen a shooter in there for 10 years.thank the whisky jack skidoo club for that.quit hunting there 3years ago but always go back once a year...just to remember what used to be

ducktoller
09-14-2015, 08:59 AM
Same up higher in 3-16. Save goats and grouse and a grizz all the blacks and deer were down low

hickman
09-14-2015, 10:08 AM
Scouted this weekend in region 2 around Squamish. It was hot and dry higher up, no fresh signs or tracks.
Spent labour day weekend in the alpine north of Pembi in region 3 just bordering region 2 and saw 7 deer, incl. 3 bucks (no 4pt) in the alpine at treeline. Deer along the Duffy Lake Road (3-16) seem to be all over the place.... valley bottom, slopes and alpine from what I have seen.

chrismcd
09-14-2015, 10:59 AM
Did the same around coquihalla in region 2 . I saw a couple does and very very little fresh sign.

brian
09-14-2015, 02:50 PM
Not Alpine but something shifted with how the deer are using my local hunting spot. I figure it because everything has come and gone early this year feed wise, the deer are probably hanging around the damp areas that still have good browse. That is where I found the most recent browse sign.

Looking_4_Jerky
09-14-2015, 02:52 PM
Very interesting feedback. I was actually going to start a thread asking exactly the same thing: "Are people seeing deer in the alpine this year". From friends that have been out, not much at all, and the info in this thread seems to corroborate this.

I spoke with a Provincial regional biologist a week or so ago, and he said he thought the alpine had been scorched and the vegetative community normally present up there seems to be a bit different this year. He too said he spoke with a friend who'd been up in alpine usually abundant with deer and the friend told him all the deer seen were in the timber.

BCHunterTV
09-14-2015, 03:21 PM
we saw Deer in the alpine a week back...right on the tree line early morning

natebavis
09-14-2015, 03:30 PM
Lots of good feed back here. I am drawn to these 2- 4hr hikes from the coq and highway 3 and also boston bar. Nice to get away from people and get out of truck. We usually get a few bucks a year off these hills , even see a few razors fly by in some of the spots. Mt Henning and others!!, but agreed!! seeing less every year as access gets better. I am hoping the heat was the main culprut as I am heading back out wednesday for 3 nights as it will be cooler.

natebavis
09-14-2015, 03:36 PM
BC Hunter, I know you frequent some same..ish areas I go. Hope you get one of those big bears again. Cheers

Ohwildwon
09-14-2015, 04:03 PM
I was Hunting 8-4 along Pasayten FSR etc last week... Only fresh or semi fresh sign I found was headed straight down to the valley bottom. Bear included....

To steep and thick to follow... To damn hot! Try again next week...

Did max out on Grouse Tags though...:wink:

natebavis
09-14-2015, 04:07 PM
After we left hot high stuff I was lucky enough to see 7 moose in 1 hour where my wife has an any bull october 1-31.(3 bulls within 2 km's) We also saw some smaller bucks but 4 pt only in 8/5, 3/13. This was all in first last light. So 3 nighter wasn't a bust, good scouting.

jedimaster
09-14-2015, 04:22 PM
Have been out in 3-16 the last few weekends. Verynew to BC hunting and black tails, but we did jump one no shots though. we have been up and down almost all of the trails between and around region 2 border and region 3 all the way to the no hunting area. Not seeing any sign and have hiked a fair bit. Will be out again this weekend, we have been staying out of the valley bottoms as I was under the impression higher was better but its so dry and hard up there hard to even see your own foot prints. supposed to be wet all week maybe that will shake them up a bit. Not sure if we are gonna make he trek north again this weekend or take a look out east more.

Coachman
09-14-2015, 04:28 PM
I have a honey hole way up high. Took my daughter out for her first youth hunt this year. That "honey hole" is the only place we didn't find deer.

Definitely different tactics required this year.

caddisguy
09-14-2015, 04:41 PM
I can't speak for the Region 2 alpines, but we worked the timber near the valley bottoms Saturday and Sunday. Wife noticed a "deer shaped animal" spying on us as we got ready before first light and it went in to the brush the moment she busted it. Smelled a bear close by walking back to camp after legal light when the wind had died down. The bush was extremely quiet. Only excitement was a chipmunk that decided to crawl all over us and our rifles and seeing grouse on the roads that would take off long before you could get a shot. Checked 1 cam and only saw a bear from a few days prior.

Region 2 animals getting hard to find... what does it all mean? Definitely Fall hunting season!! :)

An extra odd sighting was a domestic cat about 15km from the nearest resident area while driving in Friday night.

BCHunterTV
09-14-2015, 06:21 PM
we got one over the weekend up top... i passed on a decent bear at 275 yards in the blowing wind, my buddy the next day was first to spot this bear and was the shooter. It will be a great episode! filmed totally different than my other hunts

BCHunterTV
09-14-2015, 06:40 PM
we got one over the weekend up top... i passed on a decent bear at 275 yards in the blowing wind, my buddy the next day was first to spot this bear and was the shooter. It will be a great episode! filmed totally different than my other hunts

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/10623857_1627125827541673_5806385601084984292_o.jp g

ruger#1
09-14-2015, 06:42 PM
Nice bear, I love that alpine. Any ptarmigan?

jedimaster
09-14-2015, 07:43 PM
Nice bear! We did nab a few grouse over the past two weekends in region 2 with the bow and in 3 with the shotgun this past weekend. Also spotted a few jacks.

BCHunterTV
09-14-2015, 07:56 PM
Seen a dozen... we could walk right past them

ducktoller
09-14-2015, 08:06 PM

Lots of ptarmigan and dusky out